Crash site of missing plane found (North Las Vegas to San Diego)

Old March 5th 04, 04:24 PM
Jeff Franks

So you are his interpreter? He specifically asked
"an MOA means radar coverage?" answer is MOA - military operations area
That was easy.

Lets see:

"MOA means radar coverage?"

and

"...there's a lot of MOAs and that means radar coverage"

Hrm. sounds the same to me....and I didn't even have to use the transitive
property.

BTW, I love amateur smart asses. I'm an accomplished one with many enemies
to prove it.

Old March 5th 04, 05:21 PM
Peter Duniho

"R. Hubbell" wrote in message
[...] You are both rather priggish. Check my response to OP
and, if you want to, prove to me that MOAs don't have radar
coverage.

In other words: you have no clue as to whether MOA airspace in the US has
100% radar coverage.

Just as I thought. Thanks for clarifying.

Pete

Old March 5th 04, 08:40 PM
C J Campbell

"R. Hubbell" wrote in message

why you think every MOA has radar coverage.

You are both rather priggish. Check my response to OP
and, if you want to, prove to me that MOAs don't have radar
coverage.

We will prove it to you right after you prove that there is no Easter Bunny.

OTOH, the proof that the existence of an MOA implies radar coverage lies
with you, since you made the assertion. You are the only person around here
that believes this, so your job will not be easy, especially since many of
us are former and active military, many others are flight instructors and
still others are career pilots. We all actually know what we are talking
about.

We are trying not to be too hard on you. It is obvious that you are probably
just a kid, immature and not too knowledgeable about how the world really
works. Nevertheless, you have to grow up some time and recognize that you
know a whale of a lot less than you think you know.

Please, can the sarcasm and try a little humility for a change.

Old March 7th 04, 11:55 PM
Jeff

the problem in this area, arizona, NM, southern california, nevada, is that the mountains block
allot of the coverage unless you are high. You can be flying into las vegas from the west, about 15
miles or so away from LAS ( las vegas international) and LAS cant see you. same goes with flying
into henderson from the SE. There is allot of dead space unless your above 10,000 ft.
where this guy went down at, near primm, there is I-15 not far away, he had just passed Jean
airport, it was about 5 -8 minutes away. if he was low, then no one may have seen hi on radar. plus
that may have been aroudn the time that winter storm was passing through with freezing levels from
the surface up and clouds covering the mountains.

"R. Hubbell" wrote:

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 23:26:27 -0800 "C J Campbell" wrote:

"R. Hubbell" wrote in message

An unfortunate end to a plane gone missing:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_ho.../23314333.html

Interesting that they used radar signals to find the crash site.
I thought they would always do that.

It is extremely difficult to sort out the all those planes squawking 1200;
even harder to pick out traces of airplanes with no transponders. They are
analyzing the radar tracks to find an airplane that went missing in this
area recently. It will probably take several days, if not weeks, with a poor
chance of success.

There are still large areas of the country without radar coverage of any
kind, especially in the West in the mountain regions.

I think there is a lot more radar coverage than what you might think.
Out west there's a lot of MOAs and that means radar coverage, I don't know
if the military will share that data, but I suspect they would for SAR OPS.

R. Hubbell

Old March 9th 04, 01:47 PM
Paul Sengupta

How on earth did it lead to these? :-)

Paul

"John Clear" wrote in message
The false alarm 121.5 signals led to:
- a fax machine
- a pizza oven

Old March 9th 04, 04:04 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Paul Sengupta wrote:

How on earth did it lead to these? :-)

Somebody stuck an ELT in them?

George Patterson
Battle, n; A method of untying with the teeth a political knot that would
not yield to the tongue.
Old March 9th 04, 08:41 PM
John Clear

In article ,
Paul Sengupta wrote:
"John Clear" wrote in message
The false alarm 121.5 signals led to:
- a fax machine
- a pizza oven

How on earth did it lead to these? :-)

They were a carrier only signals (basically similar to a stuck
mike). Electronics that are misbehaving can have a harmonic on
121.5mhz or other frequencies. I'm not a EE, so I don't know all
the details. Maybe Jim Weir can fill us in.

I should add an arcade machine to that list of weird 121.5 signals.

John
--
John Clear - http://www.panix.com/~jac

Old March 12th 04, 12:55 AM
PJ Hunt

It would be interesting if they would have mentioned what his altimeter was
indicating.

PJ

==================================

"John Clear" wrote in message ...

The radar tracks showed the plane flying at
11,500ft, and ended at a 12,000ft mountain.

The NTSB number for this accident is SEA98FA161 or follow the link
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...11X10951&key=1

Old March 12th 04, 02:00 AM
Peter Duniho

"PJ Hunt" wrote in message
It would be interesting if they would have mentioned what his altimeter

was
indicating.

How would they know?

Old March 12th 04, 02:36 AM
Maule Driver

"Peter Duniho"
It would be interesting if they would have mentioned what his altimeter

was
indicating.

How would they know?

I think they can usually determine where the needle was at impact because it
makes some sort of mark on the face. G-force and all. I guess that assumes
that it didn't all burn and melt. Always an interesting question.