Microsoft FSX Real-Life Weather

Old October 23rd 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

Default Microsoft FSX Real-Life Weather

On Oct 23, 10:17 am, buttman wrote:

Jays Kiwi is a flight simulator that can be used by real live pilots
to enhance their real flying skills.
What you have is a game!

uh, the 'kiwi' is a metal frame with a computer screen and a joystick
attached.

Yes. And?

It doesn't change.
mixedup is playing a game
Those who try the Kiwi appear to, in the main, be real live pilots.
Or do you think that a sim flight game player is a 'pilot' ?

Old October 23rd 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"Dan Luke" wrote in
:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote:

well, flying an RC airplane is a lot closer to flying a real airplane
than any sim I've been in.

Indeed.

And it will actually *help* you learn to fly a full scale airplane, as
opposed to MSFS, which will teach you bad habits you will have to
unlearn.

Most pilots who are good at both RC and full scale will tell you RC is
more difficult to learn, and knowing how to fly the big ones first
isn't much help.

I was one of the club instructors back in my RC days. Occasionally we
would have a pilot show up with his pride-and-joy scale P-51 or some
such he had built, but without a minute of RC stick time. He would be
referred by the shop where he bought the kit.

Sometimes these were twenty thousand-hour guys. It was a humbling
experience for them to find out they had no shot at soloing their hot
scale fighter, and had to go back to the RC equivalent of a 150.

Been there done that got the t shirt!

Bertie
Old October 23rd 07, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote

Been there done that got the t shirt!

Did you manage to get off without a crash, or did you roll up your RC into a
little ball?
--
Jim in NC

Old October 23rd 07, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
george writes:

Jays Kiwi is a flight simulator that can be used by real live pilots
to enhance their real flying skills.
What you have is a game!

He is running the same software I am. The only real difference between
the
two is in your attitude towards their owners.

The difference isn't the tool - the difference is how it's used.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old October 23rd 07, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote:

Been there done that got the t shirt!

One of the hottest RC pilots in the Houston area in those days was also a 737
jockey.

He built a large scale ducted fan '37 in full company livery and got his
rocks off doing aerobatics with it.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old October 23rd 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"Morgans" wrote in
:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote

Been there done that got the t shirt!

Did you manage to get off without a crash, or did you roll up your RC
into a little ball?

First time? A crash. Relatively simple 4ch trainer, but no help. Came
fairly quickly after repairs and a second session. it's th ecoming towards
you thing of course.

Bertie
Old October 23rd 07, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"Dan Luke" wrote in
:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote:

Been there done that got the t shirt!

One of the hottest RC pilots in the Houston area in those days was
also a 737 jockey.

He built a large scale ducted fan '37 in full company livery and got
his
rocks off doing aerobatics with it.

Yeah, I thought of doing a slope soarer of one aiplane I used to fly but
never got around to it.

Bertie
Old October 23rd 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote in
news:GqGdnZ4k2L_HrYDanZ2dnUVZ_sOrnZ2d@wideopenwest .com:

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
george writes:

Jays Kiwi is a flight simulator that can be used by real live pilots
to enhance their real flying skills.
What you have is a game!

He is running the same software I am. The only real difference between
the
two is in your attitude towards their owners.

The difference isn't the tool - the difference is how it's used.

In Anthony's case it's kind of like using his head as a jackhammer.

Bertie
Old October 23rd 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

A student who does his required x-countries first in MSFS and uses all
his tools (EB6 & flight plan, doing the whole thing with writing down
times to checkpoints etc) will have an easier time of it on the real
deal. I tried it both ways and whenever I flew the x-country first in
the simulator the real thing went much smoother. If nothing else that
practice gets you in tune with how fast you have to note everthing on
your flight plan to keep up.

But for actually handling the plane: stalls, unusual attitudes, spins,
wind gust corrections on landing, real emergency procedures, etc, it
does not help you (IMHO).

The weather stuff is okay but innacurate -- it often only gets the
weather kind of close to the airport selected.

I think I hit send by accident, so apologies if there are two
postings. In any case I think its a fair point to say that good sims
are useful for many aspects of flying like those mentioned above. They
are also probably a good supplement to instrument training. But in
general sims are quite boring compared to the real thing. I find the
scenery to be pretty dull especially closer to the ground and the
scenery add-ons make it even worse. I am still waiting for the day
when the scenery will be absolutely dead real.. that would be fun even
if the airplane does not handle like it does in real life.

Old October 23rd 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote

. it's th ecoming towards
you thing of course.

"Push the stick towards the low wing!" we used to say.