small disel a/c engine?

Old March 23rd 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cubdriver

Default small disel a/c engine?

Is it possible (is it likely) that we will see a diesel aircraft
engine small enough for a Piper Cub?

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
new from HarperCollins www.FlyingTigersBook.com
Old March 23rd 08, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Cubdriver usenet AT danford DOT net wrote in
:

Is it possible (is it likely) that we will see a diesel aircraft
engine small enough for a Piper Cub?

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
new from HarperCollins www.FlyingTigersBook.com

Some guy put a mercedes diesel on a Piet years ago. Very nice looking
installation in the traditional Piet style. He even had a three pointed
star on the radiator. I wouldn't fancy propping it though.

Bertie
Old March 24th 08, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Mar 23, 2:25*pm, Cubdriver usenet AT danford DOT net wrote:
Is it possible (is it likely) that we will see a diesel aircraft
engine small enough for a Piper Cub?

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Almost. The local A&P community college here runs an STC'd diesel 172.
The engine is made in Germany. They run it on French Fries.

-Robert
Old March 24th 08, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Godwin

Sacre Bleu. Don't the French Fries clog fuel lines? :-)

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in

:

Old March 24th 08, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Mar 23, 10:34*pm, John Godwin wrote:
Sacre Bleu. *Don't the French Fries clog fuel lines? :-)

I'll tell you, you can smell if that plane is in the hanger before you
open the door! Smells like McD's. Kind of takes your desire to eat
lunch away; I can't imagine what it must be like flying it.

-Robert
Old March 24th 08, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tauno Voipio

Robert M. Gary wrote:
On Mar 23, 2:25 pm, Cubdriver usenet AT danford DOT net wrote:

Is it possible (is it likely) that we will see a diesel aircraft
engine small enough for a Piper Cub?

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Almost. The local A&P community college here runs an STC'd diesel 172.
The engine is made in Germany. They run it on French Fries.

-Robert

The engine is made by Thielert in Germany. It is a modified
Mercedes common-rail diesel engine.

For more information, go to http://www.centurion-engines.com/.

By the way, it runs on the big-airplane food: JET-A1.

--

Tauno Voipio (CPL(A))
tauno voipio (at) iki fi
Old March 25th 08, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tauno Voipio

Airbus wrote:
In article ,
says...

Robert M. Gary wrote:

On Mar 23, 2:25 pm, Cubdriver usenet AT danford DOT net wrote:

Is it possible (is it likely) that we will see a diesel aircraft
engine small enough for a Piper Cub?

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Almost. The local A&P community college here runs an STC'd diesel 172.
The engine is made in Germany. They run it on French Fries.

-Robert

The engine is made by Thielert in Germany. It is a modified
Mercedes common-rail diesel engine.

For more information, go to
http://www.centurion-engines.com/.

By the way, it runs on the big-airplane food: JET-A1.

--

I am personally aware of two such planes (Thielert-powered C-172's) which
have been removed from service due to unexpected, and as yet unexplained

Thielert has had its portion of new-design woes:

- problems in fuel and cooling plumbing,
- gearbox / clutch problems,
- broken high-pressure pumps.

AFAIK, no real problems with the most feared component,
FADEC (Full Authority Digital Engine Control).

One twin with Thielerts came down immediately after take-off
in Germany, when its electrical system collapsed. The engines
had been started with external power and the battery was not
in system at all. The procedure was prohibited in the operation
manual. The electrical systems have been changed so that it
is not anymore possible to repeat the preformance. This was
actually more an airframe problem than an engine problem.

At least one of the high-pressure pump failures happened
here for the Cessna of our club. It seems that the pump
had been dry some 5 hours before the failure. The Thielert
manual especially warns running the pump dry, and if so
happens, there should be an inspection of the pump
before the next flight.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Old March 26th 08, 07:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Tauno Voipio wrote in
:

Airbus wrote:
In article ,
says...

Robert M. Gary wrote:

[...]

Bull****. Engine installation problem.

Bertie

Old March 26th 08, 08:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 07:48:30 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

Tauno Voipio wrote in
:

Airbus wrote:
In article ,
says...

ME,? I want a big, honkin' 350 to 360 HP that will fit nicely into
the Deb and cost about as much as a new IO-360:-))

Can you tell the hours are getting close to TBO?

Bull****. Engine installation problem.

Bertie

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com