Martin State?

Old June 11th 05, 07:38 PM
Bob Gardner

Default Martin State?

Ask works at Potomac Approach and might know how
this is handled.

Bob Gardner

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
I'm going to Baltimore in a couple of weeks and figure I'll fly into
Martin
State (KMTN). The approaches to 33
(
http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0505/05222I33.PDF, for example) say, "Clearance
through R-4001A/B must be obtained before using this approach." What does
that mean to me as a pilot? Do I need to hear "cleared into R-4001,
cleared ILS-33 approach"? That's the obvious interpretation of the note,
but it seems rather silly.

If the guy just says (as I expect him to), "cleared ILS-33", shouldn't I
assume that I'm cleared into R-4001? as well? What's the point of the
note
on the plate at all?

There's something strange on the plan view too. Using the SWANN IAF, I
fly
360 heading to intercept the localizer, maintain 2000 until CINDI. That's
simple enough, but what are the hash marks on the bold course line
supposed
to mean?

Old June 11th 05, 09:02 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 14:16:52 -0400, Roy Smith wrote:

[...]

The hash marks symbolize that the course penetrates special use airspace
per the NACO manual.

I don't know how the process works with regard to getting clearance through
it, though.

Old June 11th 05, 11:05 PM
BillJ

Roy Smith wrote:
[...]

I have flown into MTN many times and used ILS 33. Never have I heard any
thing about the restricted area. Don't think it is very active and not
an issue. You hear the normal clearance from Potomoc Appc.
Old June 12th 05, 01:46 AM
Brad Zeigler

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
I'm going to Baltimore in a couple of weeks and figure I'll fly into
Martin
State (KMTN). The approaches to 33
(http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0505/05222I33.PDF, for example) say, "Clearance
through R-4001A/B must be obtained before using this approach." What does
that mean to me as a pilot? Do I need to hear "cleared into R-4001,
cleared ILS-33 approach"? That's the obvious interpretation of the note,
but it seems rather silly.

basically it means "don't expect to fly this approach if R-4001 is active.
The controller is generally responsible for keeping you out of restricted
airspace.

Old June 15th 05, 03:02 PM
Tom

R-4001A is always active (overlies Aberdeen Proving Ground), R-4001B is
only rarely active (by notam) and is the part which impacts the ILS-33
approach - your briefing should uncover this if it is active. Potomac
Approach won't mention it if 4001B is cold; they will have you use
LOC-15 if it is.