Sun N Fun '07 Redux

Old April 22nd 07, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jay Honeck

Default Sun N Fun '07 Redux

Mary and I just returned from 6 glorious days at Sun N Fun in
Lakeland, FL, where we enjoyed the most amazingly perfect weather I
have ever seen at such an event. The nights were cool (almost cold
the first few nights) -- perfect for sleeping -- and the days were
sunny and warm. No humidity, no bugs, no alligators -- just lots and
lots of aircraft!

Here are a few high points, in no particular order, for those who may
have missed the show:

- Lots of rec.aviation newsgroupies were there! I personally ran
into many, and we had a great time getting to know one another. Some
were old friends, like Bob Moore (who we had meet at SNF '03 & '04),
but others were completely new to us. It was great to see you all!

As has been my continuing experience, all were perfectly wonderful
folks, and Mary and I really enjoyed spending time with them all. (We
spent several hours watching the airshow with Marcus, a Diamond pilot
from Germany, and were even able to show him Atlas for a few minutes.
Marcus is mostly a lurker here, but he will live forever in my memory
as a perfect gentleman, and the only German I've ever met who didn't
like beer!)
:-)

My only regret -- somehow we once again managed to miss meeting Orval
F. I know he was there, because I heard from others that he was
looking for me -- but we just zigged and zagged all week long, dang
it.

- There were a lot of people from Iowa City there! It was almost like
hanging out at our airport, cuz we kept running into "locals" --
usually at the margarita tent, natch... ;-)

- For the first time EVER, we had perfect weather all the way down AND
back. (It's always been "7 hours down, 3-days back" -- or vice versa
-- in the past.)

We departed Iowa last Sunday, mid-day, after waiting for that huge
storm (that later pummeled the East Coast) to drift east. On the
backside of the front we enjoyed 190-knot ground-speeds in perfectly
smooth air all the way to Tallahassee, where we spent the night.

- That wonderful tail wind made for a helluva landing challenge in
Tallahassee. With the winds gusting over 30 knots, and a 60 degree
crosswind, I had my hands full. I was literally flipping the yoke lock-
to-lock to keep the wings level, turning base-to-final...it was wild!
As is usually the case, however, it turned out to be my best landing
of the trip, thanks to working my butt off. Funny how the easy ones
can turn into thumpers, simply because you're relaxed...

- The 496's weather capabilities made the flight down pure joy. With
that giant storm stretching from Minnesota to the Gulf, we were able
to "play" the storm by watching the live satellite and radar map, and
simply steered down the clear area on the backside fo the front.
Although you COULD do this visually, over such a wide area you would
inevitably have run into areas of diminished visibility or precip.
Now with the 496, which paid for itself on the way to SNF.

- En route we stopped in Jackson, MS for a late lunch, and to wait for
the storm to drift a bit farther east. The airport there was very
nice, but we could not understand a single word ANYONE said to us once
we left the airport grounds. I am NOT kidding -- all we could say
was "Excuse me?" over and over again. It was like being in a foreign
country! The fried chicken was outstanding, however... mmm...

- Arriving at SNF on Monday morning was a piece of cake. The Lake
Parker arrival procedure is simplicity itself, and I was glad to hear
that they were literally reading the NOTAM on the ATIS. Even better,
the controllers were not insisting on "keeping it in tight", which
always makes for an extremely tight turn to final -- not good for
folks who are hot, heavy, and stressed.

- Despite this, there was a fatal accident on approach to Rwy 27, when
a Wheeler homebuilt spun in turning base-to-final. We saw the huge
pall of furiously-churning black smoke, and knew right away what had
happened. Very sad.

- Attendance early in the week was waaaay down from the other years we
attended. We were camped in Row 6 (that's not a typo), and they
didn't fill up beyond Row 9 until Friday. Compared to OSH, where
we're camped in Row 300-something, it's remarkably different.

- Despite this, the campground seemed terribly disorganized this
year. The aircraft camping area at SNF is directly adjacent to a
regular RV/tent year-round campground, which is usually a good thing.
(Real showers, for example!) This year, however, the camp store
vendor did not show up -- or was never contracted -- no one knew.

No store meant very bad things for aircraft campers because, unlike
OSH, campers at SNF are completely at the mercy of the event planners
-- the Lakeland Airport is out in the middle of no where, and you are
NOT walking over to "Friar Tucks" for dinner!

Therefore, the AWOL camp store was a "Big Deal", since we were unable
to get ice or (gasp!) beer. Thankfully, because we were working a
booth with our friends at Flying Colors Glass, they were able to drive
us off-field to a local grocery store, where we stocked up on the
essentials. Others were not so lucky, and much griping was heard
until, later in the week, some local non-profit organization stepped
in and started bringing in supplies from the local Winn-Dixie store.

- Another example: The porta-potties in the aircraft camping area
actually ran out of TOILET PAPER! This is the absolute, number one,
top-of-the-list NO-NO for ANY event, and it happened -- thankfully for
a relatively brief several-hour period.

- The Warbirds were practically a no-show this year, for reasons
unknown. The largest bomber on the field was a B-25, and he
inexplicably did not fly in the warbird show. Organizers were forced
to use a (very nice, but totally wrong) C-47/DC-3 in the "bomber"
role, and T-28 trainers and L-39 Czech jet trainers in the "fighter"
roles, with just two P-51s and a (very nice) Spitfire rounding out the
line-up. Unless they showed up after we left Saturday morning, there
wasn't a single B-17 in attendance.

- The British equivalent of the Civil Air Patrol sent a squadron or
two to help park planes in the camping area. They did a very nice
job, although when we departed I was helped (in pulling Atlas out into
the row) by a fine young Brit who was clearly miffed because Sun N Fun
had taken their golf cart privileges away, after one of their members
had apparently been driving a bit over the top recklessly. As
anyone who has ever parked planes at an airshow knows, you NEED a golf
cart (or equivalent) to get around, or you will be dead in two hours
-- and these kids were headed that way... I hope they won their
driving privileges back after we left!

- The vendors were every bit as good as OSH, but there were (of
course) fewer of them. They seemed pleased with the turnout, although
I heard grumblings from folks out in the "Fly Market" (or whatever
they call it at SNF) that the crowd was cut off from them by the
layout of food tents and the postal service trailer.

- Mini-rant: Why does SNF (and OSH) continue to allow non-aviation
vendors into the buildings? The guy selling the big, extendable
ladders was there, again, and the ubiquitous extendable flag-pole guy
wasn't far away. Put these shills out in the Fly Market, with the
cookware and luggage vendors, where they belong!

- Mini-rant #2: AOPA hired an aircraft with a moving-light sign on
the bottom to fly over the grounds, advertising Phil Boyer's "town
hall meeting" at the SNF theater. Unfortunately, the pilot would do
nice, quiet slow flight down Rwy 27, until he got all the way to the
end -- where he would jam the throttle forward and do a high-
performance turn-around to get lined back up with the show line.

Apparently in the dark he didn't know that he was turning directly
over the campground, and keeping everyone awake with his engine
antics! Even with ear-plugs (a fly-in necessity) it was hard to
sleep.

- Good deal: We were able to take advantage of Aircraft Spruce's (very
smart) emailed coupon when we bought a replacement for our COM 2. (A
simple-but-nice TKM MX-11, digital flip-flop slide-in replacement for
our hinky Narco COM 120.)

- Bad deal: In the brand-new Spruce catalog, the price for the MX-11
is listed as $819. At first they agreed to honor that price, but in
the end they would not, as the price had "recently gone up" to $893 --
a whopping 9% difference between advertised and actual price.
Despite this bait & switch tactic, I bought the radio from them,
because with the aforementioned coupon they were still cheaper than
anyone else on the field. But the experience left a bad taste in my
mouth.

- Best deal: The guys at the JPI booth sold us an outside air
temperature probe for our EDM-700 engine analyzer for $100 bucks --
fully $60 cheaper than I've seen anywhere. (It'll be good to get rid
of our "prong" thermometer sticking through the windshield.)

- There was no "Big Deal Thing" at SNF this year. No new 596, or any
whiz-bang, must-have item. In fact, the biggest news was that Lowrance
and AvMap once again did NOT introduce XM weather capability.

- XM radio was there in force, with a great deal -- a FREE car radio
kit, when you add-on another radio subscription for $6.95 more per
month. We didn't take advantage, but lots of people were lining up.

- Light Sport Aircraft were EVERYWHERE. We were able to take a close
look at Cessna's new LSA (and their next generation GA plane), but
they were overshadowed by the European manufacturers, who seemed to
have an LSA in every shape and size, no matter which direction you
looked.

- The single-engine PiperJet is very, very cool. Given the inherent
reliability of jet engines, I don't know why that single-engine-in-the-
tail configuration hasn't been tried yet.

- It's getting harder and harder to tell an ultralight from an LSA
from a small GA plane.

- Angel Flight went cheese-cake this year, with an absolutely drop-
dead gorgeous model dressed up like an "angel", promoting their
services. She was falling out of her dress everywhere, and it was
wonderful... ;-)

- In the "Coolest Guy to Meet" category, Mary and I met Erik
Lindbergh, grandson of Charles, when he wandered into the Flying
Colors Glass tent. We spoke with him for over 30 minutes about
everything under the aviation sun, from creating our Charles Lindbergh
Suite, to our efforts to save our Boeing/United Hangar, to helping
grow GA flying. He's a fascinating, unassuming young man who is using
his famous name to better GA -- and we should all be thankful for him.

- Coolest formation of the week -- a DC-3 with four Yak/Nanching
radial warbirds off each wing, flying over our tent at about 100 AGL.
I've got a video of it I'll post later that (hopefully) captured it.

- Coolest overflight of the week -- Kyle(?) Franklin flying aerobatics
in a Twin Beech (really!) came over our campsite at MAYBE 50 AGL. I
*felt* the overflight as much as heard/saw it -- and also (hopefully)
captured it on video tape!

- Regret of the week. We missed the night airshow because we were
attending the off-site Flying Colors Glass party. Actually, I was
happily pressed into service to work as grill-meister on the bratwurst
(brought in special from Wisconsin, of course). It was a great party,
but I have STILL never seen a night air show!

- Observation of the week: Thanks to the hotel, there are now people
who look like people we know EVERYWHERE. We saw folks we *thought* we
knew all over the grounds. Sometimes they WERE the folks we knew, but
most often they were people who looked almost just like them. We
waved and shouted at one couple (who clearly thought we were crazy)
because they looked JUST LIKE two good friends of ours. It was
creepy.

- 2nd Observation: Having the aircraft camping area located at the
end of SNF's single active runway may not be the smartest thing. At
OSH, the daily airshows are held over Rwy 18/36, while the bulk of the
camping area is at the end of Rwy 27. This positioning would protect
campers from most airshow mishaps.

Not so at SNF, as they close their only other runway (5/23), meaning
that the airshow is performed directly over -- and at -- the
campground.

Although they don't camp planes directly in line with the end of the
runway, because of crosswinds an out-of-control aircraft, or even a
long landing or engine-out incident could go directly into the camping
area, with great loss of life/property. This was graphically brought
home to me while watching (and filming) the very cool Twin Beech
routine.

- The food at SNF continues to be head-and-shoulders above Oshkosh.
Part of this is necessary -- there are NO off-field options -- but
part of it is just good planning. We had some of the best Greek food
we've had ANYWHERE -- a gyros that was to die for, and some fantastic
shish-kebob -- and the fresh shrimp was great, too. Best of all,
there was a real, live SALAD BAR on the field, which meant that -- for
at least one meal -- you didn't have to eat deep-fried-greasy food.

- Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville is gone, but in its place was an
establishment every bit as good, serving Pina Coladas, Strawberry
Daquiris, and Margaritas. By Day Two we were settled into a schedule
that included a mid-afternoon Pina Colada break, whilst comfortably
ensconced in an adirondack chair, soaking up that fantastic Florida
sunshine. It was heaven.

- The beer served on the field was....appalling. You could have any
beer you'd like, as long as it was made with...rice. Luckily, pina
coladas are mighty tasty, too.

As an aside, the ability to enjoy an adult beverage on the field is
one of the simple pleasures that Oshkosh should learn and embrace.
And the money raised, at $8 bucks a pop, is substantial, I'm sure.

- Idiots In Golf Carts (we call them "IGiCs") were EVERYWHERE again,
as well as gators and personal vehicles. Apparently someone is going
to have to die before event organizers ban these abominations from the
field. If you can't walk, rent one of those electric scooters -- and
stay the hell off my heels!

- Despite this, we could not bring our bicycles on the grounds during
the day. This wasn't a terrible hardship, but seemed to present an
interesting double standard.

- Bringing the bikes was a Godsend. Because we didn't have the kids
with us (thanks to Montblack!), we were able to remove the back seats
from Atlas and bring our full-sized mountain bikes (actually our kids'
bikes), which made getting to the showers and the front gate much
easier.

- Florida saw grass WILL cut through the bottom of your ground cloth,
tent, sock, and foot, with alarming ease. Make sure you stomp it all
down BEFORE setting up your tent.

- Departing LAL was simplicity itself, although the wait was
substantial. We usually wait to leave until the last day, but we had
to be back to Iowa by Sunday, which meant leaving on the busiest day.
As a result, we taxied/idled for over 45 minutes before departure. (A
Spitfire ahead of us shut his engine down after 20 minutes...)

- Having the year-round campground adjacent to the aircraft campground
makes for some interesting conversations. Unlike OSH, everyone you
meet in the shower isn't a pilot, and it was fascinating to meet guys
who owned $200K motor homes who thought owning an airplane must be
prohibitively expensive. We NEED to do a better job of educating the
public about GA!

- Alligator is absolutely delicious. I'd never had it before, and it
was succulent, juicy, and tasted a lot like chicken, but with the
consistency of beef.

- Sleeping on an 8-inch airbed makes camping on the field every bit as
comfortable as a motel. In fact, it was MORE comfortable than the bed
in the motel in Tallahassee.

- Clamp-on umbrellas (that attach to your chair) are absolutely
necessary in the Florida sunshine. Luckily, we brought two.

- Jim Fisher (formerly a VERY active member of this group) is still
alive and well, and we dropped in on him in Muscle Shoals, AL on our
way home. Unannounced, of course! Nonetheless, he dropped everything
and let us take him out to lunch. As planned, he had just eaten -- so
we got off cheap!
:-)

- The housing market around Lakeland is very unusual, by midwest
standards. We saw million-dollar homes built adjacent to ramshackle
trailers, and no apparent consistency in how things are built.
"Zoning" ordinances are apparently a foreign concept, which is both
good and bad.

- Maybe partially as a result of these zoning quirks, the housing
market isn't as crazy as we thought it would be. We attended a party
at South Lakeland Airport, a private 4000' grass strip surrounded by
homes with hangars, where they fly everything from King Airs to
ultralights. It is still possible to buy a home with a hangar there
for around $350K -- far less than I would have believed.

- Much of Florida is still completely undeveloped. Between
Tallahassee and Lakeland there is a lot of absolutely nothing except
trees, even along the sunny Gulf Coast.

- Sun N Fun isn't Oshkosh -- nothing can come close to OSH -- and
that's a good thing. It's a fantastic fly-in, and is just different
enough to be worth doing without stealing any thunder from
AirVenture. I wish it were earlier in the spring, but I understand
why they have pushed it back to April -- the weather is just TOO
unpredictable in February/March to guarantee attendance.

Thanks to Montblack (for keeping an eye on our kids while were gone)
it was a great time, and we met a lot of fantastic people -- many from
this very newsgroup. Our taste has been wetted for OSH, and we can't
wait for July!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 22nd 07, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dale Alexander

- Sun N Fun isn't Oshkosh -- nothing can come close to OSH -- and
that's a good thing. It's a fantastic fly-in, and is just different
enough to be worth doing without stealing any thunder from
AirVenture. I wish it were earlier in the spring, but I understand
why they have pushed it back to April -- the weather is just TOO
unpredictable in February/March to guarantee attendance.

Thanks Jay. I felt like I'd been there.

I had a similiar experience years ago in the San Francisco bay area. The
Blue Angels (very sorry to hear of their recent loss) were coming to town
for their air show at Moffett Field. Not wishing to stand sardine-like with
400,000 other people, I elected to go to an airshow that was out in the
valley (Turlock I believe) also on the same weekend. 5,000 people tops, no
wait to view static displays and everywhere was a front row seat to the
show.

The road less traveled made all the difference...

Dale Alexander

Old April 22nd 07, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jay Honeck

The road less traveled made all the difference...

Well, Dale, I'm not sure anyone would call SNF the "road less
traveled", as it is the SECOND biggest aviation celebration in the
world!

The only thing that could make it look small would be Oshkosh.
Compared to everything else, it's gargantuan...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 22nd 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jose

- Mini-rant #2: AOPA hired an aircraft with a moving-light sign on
the bottom to fly over the grounds, advertising Phil Boyer's "town
hall meeting" at the SNF theater. Unfortunately, the pilot would do
nice, quiet slow flight down Rwy 27, until he got all the way to the
end -- where he would jam the throttle forward and do a high-
performance turn-around to get lined back up with the show line.

Apparently in the dark he didn't know that he was turning directly
over the campground, and keeping everyone awake with his engine
antics! Even with ear-plugs (a fly-in necessity) it was hard to
sleep.

What? A complaint about =airplane= noise? From a pilot? Jay, no less?
At an airshow?

Whodathunkit?

- Sleeping on an 8-inch airbed makes camping on the field every bit as
comfortable as a motel. In fact, it was MORE comfortable than the bed
in the motel in Tallahassee.

What kind of airbed do you use? I find them to be appalling - I sink to
the ground in the middle, and all the air goes out to the sides, so I
sleep sort of folded up. Even if it's pumped up hard.

- Much of Florida is still completely undeveloped. Between
Tallahassee and Lakeland there is a lot of absolutely nothing except
trees, even along the sunny Gulf Coast.

I suspect there's a good reason for that. I think a lot of Florida is
sort of low and swampy.

- Sun N Fun isn't Oshkosh -- nothing can come close to OSH...

I was at SnF a few years ago, and had a great time. It seems you had a
smaller version. What do you get at Oshkosh that you don't get at SnF
(besides mosquitos the size of thunderstorms, and thunderstorms the size
of small states?)

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.
Old April 23rd 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
K Baum

Here are a few high points, in no particular order, for those who may
have missed the show:

Jay, thanks for the post. I was only there for two days, and it is
great to "relive" the show through your post. This was the first time
there for me, and I had read in various places that the attendance has
been steadily declining. Thanks for that perspective.

- Attendance early in the week was waaaay down from the other years we
attended.

- Light Sport Aircraft were EVERYWHERE. We were able to take a close
look at Cessna's new LSA (and their next generation GA plane), but
they were overshadowed by the European manufacturers, who seemed to
have an LSA in every shape and size, no matter which direction you
looked.

So true about the LSA,s. Took a ride in the Legend Cub, and I can
definetly see why they cant keep up with the orders. And IMHO the
workmanship outclassed the stuff from Eastern Europe. I was facinated
with all the VLJ,s. My budy and I were offered jobs at both the
Eclipse tent and the Diamond tent. It seems that they have some pretty
low time pilots who are ordering these jets, so they have set up a
pilot mentor program for new owners to fly with experienced pilots for
awhile. I think the insurance companies are playing a big role in this
program.
To go off on a "Mini rant", as you put it, there was no Honda Jet
(Although they had a huge display of Honda generators, go figure). I
own a big chunk of HMC stock, and it would have been nice to see where
my investment was going .

As an added bonus, got some good deals on avionics, and the WX was
better than OSH. Thanks again for the post.

Old April 23rd 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jack Allison

Jay Honeck wrote:
Mary and I just returned from 6 glorious days at Sun N Fun in
Lakeland, FL, where we enjoyed the most amazingly perfect weather I
have ever seen at such an event. The nights were cool (almost cold
the first few nights) -- perfect for sleeping -- and the days were
sunny and warm. No humidity, no bugs, no alligators -- just lots and
lots of aircraft!

Yeah, go ahead, rub it in...no, wait, you already did that...in my case,
twice! :-)

- The single-engine PiperJet is very, very cool. Given the inherent
reliability of jet engines, I don't know why that single-engine-in-the-
tail configuration hasn't been tried yet.

Did they have the mock-up on display? Saw it at the AOPA convention in
Palm Springs and it was very cool to see.

- Coolest overflight of the week -- Kyle(?) Franklin flying aerobatics
in a Twin Beech (really!) came over our campsite at MAYBE 50 AGL. I
*felt* the overflight as much as heard/saw it -- and also (hopefully)
captured it on video tape!

Looking forward to the footage. Sounds *very* cool.

The food at SNF continues to be head-and-shoulders above Oshkosh.

Doesn't take much to get above Oshkosh in terms of on-site food.

Best of all,
there was a real, live SALAD BAR on the field, which meant that -- for
at least one meal -- you didn't have to eat deep-fried-greasy food.

Hmmm, did you partake of said salad bar vs. deep-fried-greasy?

Thanks to Montblack (for keeping an eye on our kids while were gone)

Are you sure it wasn't the other way around? Perhaps the "Black" half
of the duo from the Twin Cities conveniently arranged to send "Mont"
your way and paid the kids a handsome price to watch him for a week :-)

it was a great time, and we met a lot of fantastic people -- many from
this very newsgroup. Our taste has been wetted for OSH, and we can't
wait for July!

Heh...3 months baby!

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane

"To become a Jedi knight, you must master a single force. To become
a private pilot you must strive to master four of them"
- Rod Machado

Old April 23rd 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Travis Marlatte

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
Mary and I just returned from 6 glorious days at Sun N Fun in

I am not the big fly-in fan that some of you are. I would love to spend time
with the planes and the vendors but the mass of people just get on my
nerves.

One thing that caught my attention was the number of small, mom&pop
companies making digital display instrumentation. If they've been around for
a while, I hadn't noticed. Must be great for the experimental guys. I
presume that most of them are not certified but I haven't even started
visiting web sites from the literature I bagged.

My favorite vendor was the notepad on a wriststrap. If he has been at other
fly-ins, I missed that too. I'm guessing that the husband dragged the wife
into it. I would love to know what she is really thinking.

The owner's fly-in for the Lake (www.lakeflyers.com) is usually in February
but they (we) moved it to coincide with Sun 'n Fun. I went down last
Thursday. A weekend of enjoying the many, many Florida lakes, workshops,
forums, and conversation focused on my baby followed by a week of Sun 'n
Fun. Even if Sun 'n Fun is dwindling, the combination of activities over the
weekend and week really got me going!

One of the Lake owners coordinates the seaplane base and the spash in. I
enjoyed the splash in thoroughly but was also disappointed. It seemed like a
very sparse showing of seaplanes and the crowd was pretty thin. I'm planning
on spending a few days at OSH just so I can camp at the seaplane base.

Coming back, I took a more easterly route. Actually, it was straight north
but that is easterly of the straightline from LAL to PWK. Managed to come
across the wild fires burning in southern Georgia. A huge area of swamp on
fire creating massive amounts of smoke. Continuing straight north into the
hills south of Knoxville. Wandering around from mountain lake to mountain
lake. Although it was very hazy, I thought it was breathtaking. My first
time in that area. I can't wait to plan a vacation there.

This was my first time flying to Florida where I didn't need to file IFR for
at least a few hours. Amazing weather. Low deck but VFR flying into clear
skys with a 30kt tailwind on the way down. Good VFR and not a killer
headwind on the way back. Again, Amazing.

Thanks for your post Jay. Good summary. Good to meet you and Mary.

-------------------------------
Travis Marlatte
Lake N3094P
PWK

Old April 23rd 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jay Honeck

What? A complaint about =airplane= noise? From a pilot? Jay, no less?
At an airshow?

Whodathunkit?

I know it's funny -- Mary and I had a good laugh about it, as we were
cursing the pilot. It was SO ironic that Boyer would hire someone to
do his publicity in a way that created such ire.

But it was entirely innocently done. The pilot had NO idea what was
under him, in the dark, as he pushed the power forward. All he wanted
to do was get his "target" runway back underneath him...

What kind of airbed do you use? I find them to be appalling - I sink to
the ground in the middle, and all the air goes out to the sides, so I
sleep sort of folded up. Even if it's pumped up hard.

I'm not sure of the brand, but I think it may be Coleman. It does
appear to be optimally designed for two people -- when one of us gets
up, the other sinks dramatically. (Although we won't "bottom out"
unless the bed isn't inflated sufficiently.)

Nevertheless it is vastly superior to the old foam roll-up mattresses,
or (worse) the old blow-up air mattresses. The new ones come with
their own battery-powered blower, and we never added air all week.
They've really got seam-sealing technology perfected in the last few
years.

We've taken to bringing them on motel stays with the kids, as they
prefer the comfort of the air bed over any roll-away or pull-out
couch.

- Much of Florida is still completely undeveloped. Between
Tallahassee and Lakeland there is a lot of absolutely nothing except
trees, even along the sunny Gulf Coast.

I suspect there's a good reason for that. I think a lot of Florida is
sort of low and swampy.

Lots of it is pulp mill forests, too. It's quite pretty, and
unexpected in "the Sunshine State".

I was at SnF a few years ago, and had a great time. It seems you had a
smaller version. What do you get at Oshkosh that you don't get at SnF
(besides mosquitos the size of thunderstorms, and thunderstorms the size
of small states?)

We had a fantastic time at SNF, but there are many things about OSH
that are simply superior to SNF, and many things that are simply
different. Off the top of my head, I would say the superior things

- Runway Layout. OSH, having two major runways, plus several little
ones that can be closed during the show, is superior to LAL that has
only two runways.

This sounds trivial, but it's not. Being able to utilize two runways
simultaneously means that the airshow flows better in OSH, the inbound
and outbound traffic flows better, it provides much more airspace to
operate, and thus it's safer.

- Size matters. If you want to see EVERYTHING in aviation, you can
get it at OSH. If you want to see lots of things in aviation, SNF
will do. That's not the same.

- Ground Transportation. OSH has the art of people moving down to a
real science. Everyone, from the State Troopers out on Hwy 41, to the
newest volunteer, understands that keeping the crowd and traffic
flowing is essential.

If you ever drive into OSH, you'll see what I mean, as they have
entire thoroughfares that become one-way in (or out), depending on the
demands of the AirVenture grounds.

There's even a helicopter in the air at all times, directing which
parking lots and roads should be released next, so that traffic never
bogs unnecessarily. It's just an amazing system that has evolved over
many years.

And the tram system at OSH is simply outstanding, while the trams at
SNF are okay at best.

- Grounds Layout. The OSH grounds are laid out in a very logical grid
that makes navigating around the immense show area simple. SNF,
though smaller, is more difficult to navigate, simply because things
are not laid out on a grid.

- EAA. Say what you will about it, EAA is a class act, with a HUGE
resource of volunteers. This gives OSH a focus and an esprit de corps
that SNF doesn't seem to have.

I liken SNF to a frat party -- pretty well done, but not overly
thought out -- while OSH is more like a shareholder's meeting.
Everything is PERFECT at OSH, and has been for many, many years. SNF
is still trying to get it just right.

- Tradition. OSH is the grand old lady of fly-ins, and everyone from
the FAA on down seems to know the routine. People revel in OSH, and
take owndership of it, and wear its attendance like a red badge of
courage. Although I love it dearly, SNF is a distant second in this
regard.

I like Sun N Fun a lot -- it is a fantastic way to start off the
aviation "season" -- but it's still got a long ways to go to match
OSH.

Incidentally, in 25 years of attendance, I've only found the mosquitos
at OSH to be annoying once -- when we were parked next to a drainage
ditch in an unusually wet year. Most of the time they are simply not
an issue.

And weather? I've had far tougher weather getting to/from SNF than
I've ever had at OSH. April weather is simply wild, compared to July.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 23rd 07, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jay Honeck

Thanks for your post Jay. Good summary. Good to meet you and Mary.

Thanks, Travis. Same here!

Now, plan on Wednesday at OSH, for the rec.aviation party!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 23rd 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jose

It was SO ironic that Boyer would hire someone to
do his publicity in a way that created such ire.

Well, that's how non-pilots feel about noise over their house near the
runway. Not to justify anything, but if you feel the same way (here),
it might help understand the ire they feel, and help see where it might
(or might not) be justified. Just apply the same reasonsing to both cases.

[the air mattress] does appear to be optimally
designed for two people -- when one of us gets
up, the other sinks dramatically.

I've heard rumors about air mattresses with independent bladders. I
would certainly be interested in that - there could be a separate
bladder for my butt (no noise from the peanut gallery!) and that would
keep everything on the level.

I've tried the camping type air mattresses with the lantern battery
inflators. I think they suck.

- EAA. Say what you will about it, EAA is a class act, with a HUGE
resource of volunteers. This gives OSH a focus and an esprit de corps
that SNF doesn't seem to have.

I thought SnF is also an EAA event.

And weather? I've had far tougher weather getting to/from SNF than
I've ever had at OSH. April weather is simply wild, compared to July.

There is that, but to go to SnF I have to give up a New England March.
That's like giving up sacrifice for Lent. To go to OSH, I have to give
up precious pool weather.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.

Sun N Fun '07 Redux Jay Honeck Piloting 74 May 2nd 07 12:06 AM
Sun N Fun '07 Redux Jay Honeck Owning 44 May 2nd 07 12:06 AM
CSA Redux? sid Naval Aviation 19 May 11th 04 10:43 PM
Sun N Fun Redux Jay Honeck Piloting 26 April 24th 04 01:44 PM
CSA Redux? sid Military Aviation 9 April 18th 04 08:14 AM