What if...

Old April 26th 07, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
flynrider via AviationKB.com

Default What if...

john smith wrote:

The spin is not the problem. The spin is a low speed maneuver as the
inside wing is stalled while the outside wing is flying.
The steep spiral dive at high speed can lead to airframe damage.

This was a topic in the acro community a couple of years ago.
Many pilots believed that the airframe g-loading ratings applied to all
attitudes of flight. It was the T-34 the accident that that had the
Baron wing replacement that set off the discussion.
From that we learned that the g-loadings only applied to wings level
flight.

High angle of bank and high airspeed will result in wing failure below
the manufacturers publish g-loading limit.

I was suggesting a steep spiral dive within reasonable flight parameters.
I practice these occasionally and I haven't bent the plane yet. In a
stabilize spiral, the G-loading on the wings should be the same as Gs applied
in level flight.

The reason I prefer the manuever is that it gets you down faster than a
lower airspeed descent (i.e. flaps out). Plus, there is the possibility the
that the higher airspeed could over-oxygenate the fire and put it out.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old April 26th 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith[_2_]

In article ,

On 2007-04-26, john smith wrote:
From that we learned that the g-loadings only applied to wings level
flight.

High angle of bank and high airspeed will result in wing failure below
the manufacturers publish g-loading limit.

Almost but not quite - it wasn't bank angle but roll rate. You can't
pull as many Gs while rolling at the same time.

I stand corrected. Thank you Dylan.
That is what I meant.
Old April 26th 07, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Matt Barrow" wrote

With the gear down, however, you've narrowed your options. Over the

midwest,
it's not likely a problem. Over rougher terrain it's a different story.

Maybe I'm just used to flying over rough terrain, so I'm averse to
dropping the gear until I'm "good n' ready".

How about the option to put the gear back up, after the majority of the
altitude has been lost, and a landing site has been chosen that dictates the
gear up decision?
--
Jim in NC

Old April 27th 07, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Peter R." wrote in message ...
: On 4/25/2007 6:08:03 PM, "Blueskies" wrote:
:
: What is the airspeed at 2000 fpm? How long can you fly in the red arc
: : and not exceed V-dive without breaking the airplane? Theoretically, in
: : smooth air, forever.
:
: I have been able to get over 2000 fpm and without going into yellow or red in
: my Bonanza V35 with gear down, RPMs back to around 2100, and MP back to 15
: inches. The trick in the Bonanza is to slow it up first while level (RPM and
: throttle back, drop gear), then begin the descent.
:
: --
: Peter

That is a bad quote, not what I said above...

Old April 27th 07, 05:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 4/26/2007 8:09:18 PM, "Blueskies" wrote:

That is a bad quote, not what I said above...

You are correct. Sorry about that. I normally do not make such mistakes.

In all honesty I believe I failed to catch the fact that it was a quote,
given that the colons you use are hard to see in my newsreader. I'll try to
pay better attention next time.

--
Peter
Old April 27th 07, 01:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Mike Beede wrote:
It seems like the first question you have to answer is "how
would you tell that was the failure?" If you can't answer that,
then the question is the same as "what do you do if you have an
engine fire?"

When a turbocharger fails , the manifold pressure drops to what it would
be for a normally aspirated engine.
Old April 27th 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Peter R." wrote in message ...
On 4/26/2007 8:09:18 PM, "Blueskies" wrote:

That is a bad quote, not what I said above...

You are correct. Sorry about that. I normally do not make such mistakes.

In all honesty I believe I failed to catch the fact that it was a quote,
given that the colons you use are hard to see in my newsreader. I'll try to
pay better attention next time.

--
Peter

That should be better, using the now. It does show up better...

Old April 28th 07, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
K Baum

On Apr 26, 2:37 pm, "Morgans" wrote:
"Matt Barrow" wrote

With the gear down, however, you've narrowed your options. Over the

midwest,

How about the option to put the gear back up, after the majority of the
altitude has been lost, and a landing site has been chosen that dictates the
gear up decision?
--
Jim in NC

Jim, this is exactly how the airline guys are taught. The emergency
decent is done with the gear down in most situations. I would imagine
that the POH in most GA planes states something similar.

Old April 28th 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 4/27/2007 5:51:12 PM, "Blueskies" wrote:

That should be better, using the now. It does show up better...

Nice. Thanks for considering an alternative.

Another advantage of using the "" character is that many of the more modern
newsreaders will automatically color code the quoted text when it detects a
line that starts with it (some even provide user-configurable quoting
characters for color coding), as seen in the screenshot below:

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1...7110254qa6.jpg

--
Peter