Chinese (and other) pilots unable to speak English pose danger for air travel (CNN)

Old June 29th 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Chinese (and other) pilots unable to speak English pose danger for air travel (CNN)

Maxwell writes:

I think we can all rest assured teach the world to speak understandable
English is not a long term problem. Everything will be going to Spanish in a
few years anyway.

Very little will be going to Spanish any time soon. While many people speak
Spanish in some parts of the world, the geographic distribution is not very
even, and the countries that speak the language primarily are not that
influential. And don't forget Brazil.
Old June 29th 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
El Maximo

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Maxwell writes:

I think we can all rest assured teach the world to speak understandable
English is not a long term problem. Everything will be going to Spanish
in a
few years anyway.

Very little will be going to Spanish any time soon.

Out of touch with current events?

Old June 29th 07, 07:18 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
K Baum

On Jun 29, 4:39 am, "El Maximo" wrote:

Lufthansa (in German): "Ground, what is our start clearance time?"
Ground (in English): "If you want an answer you must speak in English."
Lufthansa (in English): "I am a German, flying a German airplane, in
Germany. Why must I speak English?"

What is interesting is that in Mexico and parts of South America, the
controllers speak Spanish with local (or domestic) flights, and
english with international flights.
KB.

Old June 29th 07, 07:41 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 19:43:47 +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:

the geographic distribution is not very
even, and the countries that speak the language primarily are not that
influential.

About 1/4 of the Dallas cable TV channels are in Spanish.

http://tinyurl.com/ytw6cx

Sábado Gigante ya'll!

--
Dallas
Old June 29th 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

K Baum wrote:
What is interesting is that in Mexico and parts of South America, the
controllers speak Spanish with local (or domestic) flights, and
english with international flights.

That was my experience flying into Cuba.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old June 29th 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting

What is interesting is that in Mexico and parts of South America, the
controllers speak Spanish with local (or domestic) flights, and
english with international flights.
KB.

This matches with what I experienced recently. I was on the ground
aboard a United passenger flight from Brazil to the USA and listening
to the onboard channel 9 ATC to kill time. Except for the United and a
Lufthansa pilot also awaiting clearance to taxi, every other pilot was
talking Portuguese. The controllers spoke perfect ATC English but
switched to Portuguese for the local pilots. I was thinking this could
easily lead to a lack of situational awareness in a large airport like
Sao Paulo's. It was interesting that even at the local Brazilian FBO,
there was no CFI who spoke English even though the Brazilian
requirements include a proficiency requirement in English!

Old June 29th 07, 08:07 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

El Maximo writes:

Out of touch with current events?

No.

If you're travelling worldwide, the best language to know is English, followed
by French. Spanish would be in third place.
Old June 29th 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Dallas writes:

About 1/4 of the Dallas cable TV channels are in Spanish.

As hard as it may be for residents of the city to accept, there is more to the
world outside of Dallas.
Old June 29th 07, 08:14 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jun 29, 4:39 am, "El Maximo" wrote:
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in messagenews
Matthias van Henk wrote:
As more and more aviation business is operated from Asia and Chinese is
the most spoken language in the world all communication should be made
in Chinese then. :-)

If Won Wing Low had been the Father of Aviation, it could have been!

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Allegedly, a Pan Am 727 flight waiting for start clearance in Munich
overheard the following:
Lufthansa (in German): "Ground, what is our start clearance time?"
Ground (in English): "If you want an answer you must speak in English."
Lufthansa (in English): "I am a German, flying a German airplane, in
Germany. Why must I speak English?"
Unknown voice from another plane (in a beautiful British accent): "Because
you lost the bloody war."

The other version I"ve heard was an American flight had just landed
and was read a really fast taxi clearance. Apparently the pilot didn't
respond quickly.
ATC: "What's wrong with you haven't you been here before"
Pilot: "Once in 1943 but I didn't stop"

-Robert