Hypoglycemia?

Old April 7th 07, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
EFIS2

Default Hypoglycemia?

I am a person with reactive hypoglycemia (gets weak/confused if does
not eat healthy snacks/meals regularly) - I'm sure there is not much
chance of being certified to get a PPL or go onto being an airline
pilot - I just thought I'd ask if anybody knows what the deal is, or
if anybody knows about this problem. I also have bad eye floaters,
I'm sure that would be a problem too. I'm not really optimistic given
that the condition often causes weakness and lack of awareness if I do
not keep my blood sugar up.

Old April 7th 07, 06:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

See an FAA medical doctor [AME] and ask, As long as you eat
and have an awareness of your status, PPL should be no
problem. The FAA will issue medicals to diabetics taking
insulin as long as they carry a blood meter and test. You
just need to take a healthy lunch of protein, fats and not
just eat high carbs like sugar.
Floaters are common and unless they are a symptom of a
serious condition, not really a problem.

Airline job, not likely, because airlines hire the cream,
but you never know.

ups.com...

Old April 7th 07, 12:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On 6 Apr 2007 19:43:56 -0700, "EFIS2" wrote:

I am a person with reactive hypoglycemia (gets weak/confused if does
not eat healthy snacks/meals regularly) - I'm sure there is not much
chance of being certified to get a PPL or go onto being an airline
pilot - I just thought I'd ask if anybody knows what the deal is, or
if anybody knows about this problem. I also have bad eye floaters,
I'm sure that would be a problem too. I'm not really optimistic given
that the condition often causes weakness and lack of awareness if I do
not keep my blood sugar up.

aviation medicals are about correctible defects and being in control
of any condition you suffer.
it is not 'what are you feeling before takeoff' it is more about being
competent and functional toward the end of a long flight.

while you have an awareness of your conditions you also comment in a
way that indicates that you dont control the condition which is the
real problem.

seek out an aviation medical examiner in your area and front up for a
medical. talk to the doc about your condition. dont work on hearsay,
work on facts, the doc may have a simple solution for you.

Stealth Pilot

Old April 7th 07, 01:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

EFIS2 writes:

I am a person with reactive hypoglycemia (gets weak/confused if does
not eat healthy snacks/meals regularly) - I'm sure there is not much
chance of being certified to get a PPL or go onto being an airline
pilot - I just thought I'd ask if anybody knows what the deal is, or
if anybody knows about this problem.

Hypoglycemia is not unconditionally disqualifying, but the FAA must render a
decision in each individual case. You'd have to submit all the documentation
you can describing your condition and its causes, and then they would decide
whether to grant or deny. So it doesn't necessarily exclude you from getting
a license.

Reactive hypoglycemia is a form of glucose intolerance. It is closely related
to diabetes mellitus, even though the effect on blood glucose is the opposite.

Some people underreact to prandial glucose loads, and they become temporarily
hyperglycemic, sometimes markedly so. If the hyperglycemia becomes chronic
even while fasting, they are said to have diabetes mellitus. Temporary
hyperglycemia is usually harmless if it is not too acute, although it may
indicate a predisposition to DM. The hyperglycemia comes from inadequate
response to insulin (called Type II DM or NIDDM if chronic), or inadequate
production of insulin (called Type I DM or IDDM if chronic).

Hypoglycemia, both postprandial (reactive) and fasting, is much rarer than
hyperglycemia. There are a number of possible causes. Definitive treatment
requires treatment of the underlying cause. Treatment of the hypoglycemia
itself requires taking in food or glucose. In some cases, reactive
hypoglycemia may be associated with a predisposition to development of
hyperglycemia and DM.

Most hypoglycemia is asymptomatic, and most of the symptoms of hypoglycemia
can have other causes. It is essential to actually verify blood glucose
levels when the symptoms occur, to see if blood glucose really is abnormally
low.

Postprandial hyperglycemia is harmless if not too severe, although it may
indicate a prediposition to DM. Chronic hyperglycemia (diabetes mellitus) can
produce a constellation of severe complications over a period of years or
decades. Hypoglycemia is harmless if mild, even when chronic. Severe acute
hypoglycemia is life-threatening, though. However, severe hypoglycemia of
this type is almost always seen only in insulin overdoses among diabetics, and
in some types of poisoning (e.g., alcohol poisoning).

In the case of aviation, the FAA's concern seems to be incapacitation. DM is
a problem because an uncontrolled diabetic could enter a diabetic (DKA) coma,
and a controlled diabetic taking insulin or medication could enter insulin
shock. DM that does not require insulin or medication does not present a
significant risk of incapacitation.

Hypoglycemia can result in incapacitation if it drops very low, but this is
extremely rare even among people with chronic hypoglycemia (which is rare in
itself). The risk is very small.

I also have bad eye floaters, I'm sure that would be a problem too.

Only if it makes it impossible to see clearly enough to fly even with
correction. The mere presence of floaters is not disqualifying.

I'm not really optimistic given
that the condition often causes weakness and lack of awareness if I do
not keep my blood sugar up.

The FAA is unnecessarily strict and arbitrary in its requirements, so I tend
to agree with you, even though, in reality, your condition should not be an
obstacle to flying. While the underlying concern is incapacitation, the FAA
works in terms of disqualifying conditions, and not in terms of a general
assessment of the risk of incapacitation. If this latter risk can be
certified as acceptably low, however, you could still get a medical, and in
any case, your hypoglycemia and floaters are not absolute barriers to getting
one (particularly the latter).

Old April 7th 07, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Stubby writes:

I have to ask: Are you a doctor? An AME?

No.

Old April 7th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_4_]

I've been taking the course of ignoring this idiot- but the last is over the
top. He is neither a physician nor a pilot (maybe he stayed at a Holiday Inn
Express and this was where he got his knowledge and expertise)

Regardless- you should seek the opinion of a real AME or contact AOPA for
advice. And, even though I am an AME and senior flight surgeon in the Air
Force, I would not presume to make a diagnosis or offer medical
recommendations without a proper history or examination.

I understand that this is all usenet, so all of it should be taken with a
large grain of salt. However, when he (MX) starts interpreting FAA
guidelines or making medical judgments it is completely out of line.

Old April 7th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"EFIS2" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am a person with reactive hypoglycemia (gets weak/confused if does
not eat healthy snacks/meals regularly) - I'm sure there is not much
chance of being certified to get a PPL or go onto being an airline
pilot - I just thought I'd ask if anybody knows what the deal is, or
if anybody knows about this problem. I also have bad eye floaters,
I'm sure that would be a problem too. I'm not really optimistic given
that the condition often causes weakness and lack of awareness if I do
not keep my blood sugar up.

I haven't seen your name here before, so just incase you aren't aware.

All the advice given here seems to be very good to this point and time,
except that of MXMANIC. Don't assume anything for sure, until you sit down
and talk it over with an AME. He's the man, not only to acess your situation
relative to aviation, but also to suggest solutions.

As for MXMANIC, his is our resident self appointed wizard on everything from
breast feeding to landing an airliner, but has never given birth to anything
but BS, or flown anything but his desk.

I think the only thing he has proven qualifications for is living and
touring the Parris France area, with nothing but handouts from friends and
relatives.

Old April 7th 07, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Maxwell" wrote in message

"EFIS2" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am a person with reactive hypoglycemia (getsif does
not eat healthy snacks/meals regularly) - I'm sure there is not much
chance of being certified to get a PPL or go onto being an airline
pilot - I just thought I'd ask if anybody knows what the deal is, or
if anybody knows about this problem. I also have bad eye floaters,
I'm sure that would be a problem too. I'm not really optimistic given
that the condition often causes weakness and lack of awareness if I do
not keep my blood sugar up.

I haven't seen your name here before, so just incase you aren't aware.

All the advice given here seems to be very good to this point and time,
except that of MXMANIC.

Hey!! You forgot to warn him about me!!! :-)

Don't assume anything for sure, until you sit down
and talk it over with an AME. He's the man, not only to acess your
situation relative to aviation, but also to suggest solutions.

You can talk to an AME, but DO NOT make an appointment for an FAA physical!
If you attempt and fail then you are also locked out of the Sport Pilot
option. If (and only if) you can fly OK, but can't pass the physical you can
still be a sport pilot as long as you didn't fail a physical first. But, you
really don't want to find yourself with "weakness and lack of awareness "
at the end of a long demanding flight - you have to take care of yourself,
eh? Ask the AME if "sport pilot" is a bad idea.

Another option is the AOPA - they have a medical department and can give you
some information on how likey you are to have problems.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old April 7th 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote in message
news:Ecedncx7tONiWIrbnZ2dnUVZ_vGinZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
"Maxwell" wrote in message

"EFIS2" wrote in message
[...]

You're right, I guess I'm assuming most AMEs are as helpful as the ones I
have used, and perhaps many are not. When I had a problem with my medical 10
years or so ago, my AME seemed as helpful as good lawyer in helping me
navigate the system. But I guess they are certainly not obligate to do so.