206 STOL

Old December 17th 03, 07:17 PM
DeltaDeltaDelta

Default 206 STOL

Does anybody know what are the takeoff and landing rolls (fully loaded) on a
soft field for a normally aspired STOL conversion-equipped 206 (any popular
conversion)?

Thanks

Triple Delta

Old December 17th 03, 09:41 PM
Darkwing Duck

"DeltaDeltaDelta" wrote in message
Does anybody know what are the takeoff and landing rolls (fully loaded) on

soft field for a normally aspired STOL conversion-equipped 206 (any

popular
conversion)?

Thanks

Triple Delta

Are you wondering what it is fully loaded with pot?

Old December 17th 03, 09:55 PM
Rick Durden

Tridelt:

That information is not published in any handbook that I've found as
"soft field" has never been defined. In general, the STOL 206 I fly
from time to time will come off the ground in well under 1,000 feet
and most of the time in well under 800 feet, however, temperature
makes a significant difference and a truly soft runway may mean that
the takeoff roll is infinite. On landing plan on slowing to about 55
KIAS on very short final as you start the flare. If you go slower and
use power to flare you can shorten things up substantially, however, I
routinely go into a 1,700 foot strip (no obstruction) and make the
mid-field turnoff with moderate braking. It is paved.

As a rule of thumb you can plan on using a 1,000 foot runway (no
obstructions) if you have a moderate skill level and fly the airplane
as it is capable of being flown and don't overload it. If
obstructions are involved increase the length accordingly.

All the best,
Rick

Old December 18th 03, 12:25 AM
Dale

In article ,
"DeltaDeltaDelta" wrote:

Does anybody know what are the takeoff and landing rolls (fully loaded) on a
soft field for a normally aspired STOL conversion-equipped 206 (any popular
conversion)?

I fly both normally aspirated and turbo-charged P206s hauling skydivers
off of a grass strip. The airplanes have the Sportsman STOL leading
edge, WingX Stol extended wingtips and vortex generators. Most takeoffs
are within 100-200 pounds of gross weight and field elevation is 250MSL.
Ground roll is around 600 feet.

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html
Old December 18th 03, 03:52 PM
DeltaDeltaDelta

Well, that was the puprose of the plane I was thinking of; skydivers off a
grass strip . However, I've been to Cessna's site and compared the
performances of the 206H and T206 and other than the small increase in speed
and double cruise altitude, I found no differences in landing and takeoff
performance and in capacity in general. Since you fly both versions, could
you, from experience, outline any differences in TO and LDG performance
between the two?

Triple Delta

Old December 18th 03, 05:33 PM
Dale

In article ,
"DeltaDeltaDelta" wrote:

Well, that was the puprose of the plane I was thinking of; skydivers off a
grass strip . However, I've been to Cessna's site and compared the
performances of the 206H and T206 and other than the small increase in speed
and double cruise altitude, I found no differences in landing and takeoff
performance and in capacity in general. Since you fly both versions, could
you, from experience, outline any differences in TO and LDG performance
between the two?

The airplanes I'm flying are '68 models. From the literature I've seen
the new 206s have a higher empty weight....I don't expect as good of
performance from them.

At sea-level there won't be a great difference between the two since
they put out the same amount of power at sea-level. If you're working
off of a higher field elevation the turbo-charged airplane should show a
little better performance...the difference being greater the higher you
go.

For the two airplanes I fly the normally aspirated model comes off the
ground just a little quicker...why I don't know. The difference isn't
enough to make me choose one over the other if doing any short-field
work.

The big differnce you'll see is in the climb rate at altitude. When
doing formation loads I let the normally aspirated 206 takeoff and get
to 1500' or so before I launch. By 7-8000 I'm tucked in tight and have
the power reduced to stay with him. G

Old December 18th 03, 05:38 PM
karl gruber

This discussion is right down my alley.

I flew a T206 seaplane commercially and owned my own straight 206 seaplane.

The T206 I flew for Rivers Inlet Resort on the British Columbia coast.
http://www.riversinletresort.com/

We flew out of the Will Rogers-Wiley Post Seaplane Base.
http://www.ci.renton.wa.us/pressrel/seaplane.htm

This T206 seaplane was brand new in 1978 and normally was loaded with four
fat fishermen, and their gear. We'd leave with about half fuel to be at
gross and go through customs and fuel at Victoria B.C.

I gained a lot of respect for the T206 seaplane. It was a great airplane.
One thing not normally discussed is how nice the flying qualities of these
airplanes are. They have "frise" ailerons.
http://naca.larc.nasa.gov/reports/1946/naca-tn-1085/

The 206 has a great feel, much better than a Cessna 180 or 185. It also has
a huge horizontal stabilizer and powerful elevators. We often left Rivers
Inlet with a full load in high winds and rough seas. The wind was often
20-25 knots and seas of 2-3 feet. The bad part of takeoff was the smashing
waves. The good part was the wind was strong and takeoff run was short. The
first big wave to hit the T206 on takeoff would splash into the prop and
almost bury the airplane in water. By the next wave the seaplane would be on
the step and the wave would still catch the prop and water would stream over
the windshield and on back, the floats and airplane taking a severe beating.

It took full forward elevator at times to keep the airplane from bouncing
into the air. The flaps were set at 20 deg. The next thing to happen was to
wait till the stall warning horn came on. At that time full flaps were
extended and the airplane would bounce off the next wave and stagger into
the air. Then the nose was lowered and the airplane accelerated in ground
effect and the flaps retracted. Those 206's are really built, and can take a
beating!

The T206 has 310 horsepower. The 206 has 300. It makes a BIG difference,
especially in hot temperatures. The straight 206 seaplane is a DOG compared
to the T206. My straight 206 seaplane even had a Robertson kit, which makes
virtually no improvement in performance, especially on floats. Power is what
gets a seaplane up on step. And power is what counts to accelerate the
airplane.

I could go on but I'm going to fly to BFI, beg a crew car and Christmas shop
at Nordstrom.

Karl
"Curator" N185KG
please don't grammar check this post!!!

Old December 18th 03, 06:20 PM
Rick Durden

Tridelt,

Well, that was the puprose of the plane I was thinking of; skydivers off a
grass strip . However, I've been to Cessna's site and compared the
performances of the 206H and T206 and other than the small increase in speed
and double cruise altitude, I found no differences in landing and takeoff
performance and in capacity in general. Since you fly both versions, could
you, from experience, outline any differences in TO and LDG performance
between the two?

The normally aspirated 206 will slightly outdo the turbocharged
version until you get to about 6,000 feet in the climb, it's also
slightly faster in cruise below 10,000 feet.

For your operation you may not want to waste the weight of a STOL
conversion. Aggressively flown a post 1974 206 (when it got the
cuffed leading edge) only stalls about a knot faster than a STOL mod
airplane and can be operated off of fields nearly as short. The
difference is largely in pilot technique and the STOL mod airplane
floats like crazy if you come in fast. The STOL mod is more
comfortable to fly when you approaching at 60 KIAS, so if you have
inexperienced pilots they will probably prefer it. If your pilots
know what they are doing they'll make an unmodified airplane perform
very close to the STOL mod without the extra weight.

All the best,
Rick
Old December 18th 03, 09:31 PM
Montblack

("karl gruber" wrote)
Great info snipped

please don't grammar check this post!!!

Drat! :-)

The Baron had Snoopy dead in his sights
He reached for the trigger to pull it up tight
Why he didn't shoot, well, we'll never know
Or was it the bells from the village below.

Christmas bells those Christmas bells
Ringing through the land
Bringing peace to all the world
And good will to man

http://www.xmasfun.com/Lyrics.asp?ID=90

--
Montblack
http://lumma.de/mt/archives/bart.gif

STOL Plans M. Home Built 52 August 4th 06 06:47 AM
QUESTION ON BUSH STOL KIT Richard Jimenez Owning 0 September 15th 03 09:20 PM
QUESTION ON BUSH STOL KIT Richard Jimenez Aviation Marketplace 0 September 11th 03 10:28 PM
QUESTION ON BUSH STOL KIT Richard Jimenez Owning 0 September 10th 03 04:06 PM
Question on Bush STOL kit MikeM Owning 0 September 7th 03 03:54 AM