How often do you Fly?

Old March 1st 07, 05:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
EridanMan

Default How often do you Fly?

I suppose one of the reasons that the forum is so off topic at the
moment is whether has most of us grounded...

Thinking along those lines though...

How often do the rest of you get out flying? once a week? once a
month?

I've found that since I purchased 4261J, I've been 'forcing' myself to
the airport more and more (at least twice a week)... I mean, after you
start spending so much for insurance, tiedown, and the rest, it seems
like an awfully big waste to not make it as much as possible...

I'm actually not complaining (at all), considering my workload at the
moment, I'd probably just as well be going home and passing out...
this way at least I have at least two hours every week where I
actually feel alive...

How about how guys... how much do you 'actually' fly? how do you fit
it into your day to day life?

Old March 1st 07, 09:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Shirl

"EridanMan" wrote:
How often do the rest of you get out flying?

Once a week, sometimes more, and I usually find some reason to *have to*
go to the hangar every couple of days -- fixing, cleaning, polishing, or
just hangin' out (no pun).
Old March 1st 07, 01:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

I've been a renter and I've been an owner and I always fly more,
usually double, when owning compared to renting... Psychologically as
a renter you are always concious of that Hobbs meter running...
As an owner the only additional cost for an extra half hour is some
gas and a little oil... Owning is lots more expensive than renting,
but I prefer owning....
denny

Old March 1st 07, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Michelle P

EridanMan wrote:
I suppose one of the reasons that the forum is so off topic at the
moment is whether has most of us grounded...

Thinking along those lines though...

How often do the rest of you get out flying? once a week? once a
month?

I've found that since I purchased 4261J, I've been 'forcing' myself to
the airport more and more (at least twice a week)... I mean, after you
start spending so much for insurance, tiedown, and the rest, it seems
like an awfully big waste to not make it as much as possible...

I'm actually not complaining (at all), considering my workload at the
moment, I'd probably just as well be going home and passing out...
this way at least I have at least two hours every week where I
actually feel alive...

How about how guys... how much do you 'actually' fly? how do you fit
it into your day to day life?

Off season once a month.
On season: daily, up to 27 days a month up to 8 hours a day.

Michelle
Old March 1st 07, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Masino

EridanMan wrote:
How often do the rest of you get out flying? once a week? once a
month?

Once or Twice per week, year around. Although, I don't have the
wanderlust of many pilots, and am more than satisfied with short, local
trips and practice work in the pattern. As a result, it's not that
unusual for me to log around 50 hours for the year.

I've found that since I purchased 4261J, I've been 'forcing' myself to
the airport more and more (at least twice a week)... I mean, after you
start spending so much for insurance, tiedown, and the rest, it seems
like an awfully big waste to not make it as much as possible...

Definitely. When I rented, some 15 years ago, I'd only manage to fly
once every 3-4 weeks.

Cragg! It seems like our planes may have rolled out of Vero Beach
fairly close together. My N# is 4269J, and according to the FAA site,
our serial numbers are only 10 apart.

--- Jay

--

Jay Masino "Home is where My critters are"
http://www.JayMasino.com
Old March 1st 07, 02:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gary[_2_]

I'm averaging about twice a month during the winter. That will go
back up in the spring, hopefully to once a week.

I belong to a club, and availability of our aircraft is quite good.
My flying time now is generally limited by weather, ski weekends away,
and my slothful reluctance to go out in the cold after work and mess
with the engine heater just to get in some night hours...

Old March 1st 07, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_3_]

"EridanMan" wrote in message
ups.com...
I suppose one of the reasons that the forum is so off topic at the
moment is whether has most of us grounded...

Thinking along those lines though...

How often do the rest of you get out flying? once a week? once a
month?

I've found that since I purchased 4261J, I've been 'forcing' myself to
the airport more and more (at least twice a week)... I mean, after you
start spending so much for insurance, tiedown, and the rest, it seems
like an awfully big waste to not make it as much as possible...

I'm actually not complaining (at all), considering my workload at the
moment, I'd probably just as well be going home and passing out...
this way at least I have at least two hours every week where I
actually feel alive...

How about how guys... how much do you 'actually' fly? how do you fit
it into your day to day life?

From March to mid-November, two to three times a week. In 2006, it was 336
hours (that included a five week grounding after surgery, during which I
hired a temp Commercial pilot). In 2005, it was 418 hours.

It fits my life because 80-90% of those flights are business related. Most
trips are 445-500nm.

I've been "blessed" with our situation (family business).

--
Matt Barrow
Performance Homes, LLC

Old March 1st 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_3_]

"Denny" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been a renter and I've been an owner and I always fly more,
usually double, when owning compared to renting... Psychologically as
a renter you are always concious of that Hobbs meter running...
As an owner the only additional cost for an extra half hour is some
gas and a little oil... Owning is lots more expensive than renting,
but I prefer owning....

I figure my cutout point is about 200-250 hours a year, after which owning
is cheaper. Then, it would be damn near impossible to rent the equipment
that we use for our typical mission.

--
Matt Barrow
Performance Homes, LLC

Old March 1st 07, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Feb 28, 10:44 pm, "EridanMan" wrote:
I suppose one of the reasons that the forum is so off topic at the
moment is whether has most of us grounded...

Thinking along those lines though...

How often do the rest of you get out flying? once a week? once a
month?

I've found that since I purchased 4261J, I've been 'forcing' myself to
the airport more and more (at least twice a week)... I mean, after you
start spending so much for insurance, tiedown, and the rest, it seems
like an awfully big waste to not make it as much as possible...

I'm actually not complaining (at all), considering my workload at the
moment, I'd probably just as well be going home and passing out...
this way at least I have at least two hours every week where I
actually feel alive...

How about how guys... how much do you 'actually' fly? how do you fit
it into your day to day life?

Typically at least once a month, but I decided to take this winter off
from flying since I have been very busy. I am planning on getting
current again in March or April.

Dean

Old March 1st 07, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Shirl

"Matt Barrow" wrote:
From March to mid-November, two to three times a week.
In 2006, it was 336 hours (that included a five week
grounding after surgery, during which I hired a temp
Commercial pilot). In 2005, it was 418 hours.

It fits my life because 80-90% of those flights are
business related. Most trips are 445-500nm.

Just curious ... what airplane?