What is a ground loop?

Old July 22nd 03, 05:33 PM
Maule Driver

"Cub Driver" wrote in message
In a Piper Cub or another taildragger, the ground loop is most often
begun when sloppy rudder inputs, a gust of wind, or even P factor
causes the aircraft to veer. As with a VW Beetle with the engine in
the rear (or a Corvair, for that matter), once the vehicle begins to
swap ends, it happens very fast, and it's very difficult to recover
from.

I like the rear engine analogy. Difference between the Beetle and the
Corvair seems to have been that the Beetle didn't suffer from 'ground
loops' very frequently. The Corvair was looking for them. My father owned
3 or 4 of them. In #3, we did the classic Corvair 'ground loop' plus some.
I'm not sure to this day how many times we went around but I do know we
ended up upside down on the convertible roof. Unsafe at any speed indeed!
The Vdub bus seems to be immune too. Drove 3 of them in western PA snows
and never had them try to swap ends. Passed a lot of stuck people too. But
of course, they were one of the most lethal vehicles on the road. They
weren't in a lot of accidents, but you stood a good chance of buying it if
when they were.

Old July 22nd 03, 06:42 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Maule Driver wrote:

They [VW vans] weren't in a lot of accidents, .....

That's only because there weren't very many cars on the road that you
could catch if you were driving one.

George Patterson
The optimist feels that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The
pessimist is afraid that he's correct.
James Branch Cavel
Old July 22nd 03, 06:45 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Maule Driver wrote:

Does the inside or outside wing tend to hit the ground once a ground loop is
underway?

The outside wing.

Old July 22nd 03, 06:48 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Big John wrote:

It's sometimes known as Oooops!

Gordon Baxter used to say that the method for handling a ground loop in a
Stearman is to look straight ahead, turn loose of the stick, throw your
hands over your head, and yell as loud as you can "OH SH*T!".

Old July 22nd 03, 06:55 PM
Maule Driver

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

They [VW vans] weren't in a lot of accidents, .....

That's only because there weren't very many cars on the road that you
could catch if you were driving one.

But you didn't need cruise control. Just floor it. Tailwinds help too.

Old July 22nd 03, 09:44 PM
Dave Stadt

"john smith" wrote in message
Mike wrote:
I've read the term ground loop in a lot of articles and accident reports

but
what exactly is a ground loop?

A ground loop is what happens when a taildragger pilot isn't fast enough
on the rudder pedals to keep the tail from passing him/her while going
down the runway.
Because the center of gravity is behind the main landing gear on a
taildragger, the tail of the airplane wants to swing around to the
front.
The center of gravity is forward of the main gear on a tricycle gear
airplane, so the nose wants to stay out in front.

Nose draggers make wonderful groundloopers and the repairs are much more
costly than when a taildragger ground loops.

Old July 22nd 03, 10:24 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Dave Stadt wrote:

Nose draggers make wonderful groundloopers and the repairs are much more
costly than when a taildragger ground loops.

Yes, but it takes a lot of skill to be able to groundloop a nosedragger;
you almost have to work at it. Anybody can do it in a taildragger without
hardly trying.

Old July 22nd 03, 10:32 PM
Ron Natalie

"Mike" wrote in message ...
I've read the term ground loop in a lot of articles and accident reports but
what exactly is a ground loop?

It's a problem in the wiring that tends to cause a hum in the radios.

Old July 23rd 03, 01:01 AM
BTIZ

the outside wing will hit... with our Pawnee, the inside wing can drag.. and
then as you "high side" (motorcycle talk) the outside wing can contact the
ground.. or if you've ever rolled a jeep when you get it side ways..

BT

Old July 23rd 03, 01:05 AM
BTIZ

It's a problem in the wiring that tends to cause a hum in the radios.

ROFL