Glider electrics etc

Old February 7th 20, 12:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Colin Roney

Default Glider electrics etc

At 22:40 06 February 2020,
John_DeRosa_OHM_Ω_http://aviation.derosaweb.net
wrote:
Thanks for pointing to my presentation on wiring at
http://aviation.derosaw=
eb.net/presentations/#wiring. Please let me know if

there are corrections
=
to be made (and there are ALL-WAYS corrections to be

made).

Also, not to toot my own horn too loudly, but I will be

speaking on this
to=
pic at the 2020 SSA Convention in Little Rock, Arkansas

on Saturday, Feb
22=
at 1:30PM in Ballroom B. I really don't want to find

myself speaking
only=
to the hotel security staff so I truly hope to see and

meet all of you
the=
re!=20

- John DeRosa OHM =E2=84=A6

John, it`s shame that you don`t reside here in the UK as
one of your presentations would, I am sure, create a
stampede of interest. Great website John. Keep it up.

Old February 8th 20, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

On Thursday, February 6, 2020 at 11:32:52 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Thanks !
What about cutting and reconnecting (quick disconnect) the GPS antenna wires. What connector would you use ?
Dan

Dan,

It might be OK to shorten the GPS antenna's coax cable at the puck end (if you are particularly handy with a small tipped soldering iron) - but better to just loosely wrap up the excess cabling. The other end of the cable has the tricky and tiny SMA or MCX coaxial connectors which (unlike BNC and TNC connectors) requires some rather special expertise and tooling.

As to your idea of "cutting and reconnecting (quick disconnect) the GPS antenna wires [really coax]" I would give a definitive NOT. The beauty of coax is that the outer shield protects the very small signal from interference riding on the inner conductor. Cutting the cable to properly insert a COAXIAL quick disconnect connector on the thin coax can interfere with that protection and is difficult to properly accomplish to say the least. Commercially made quick disconnects of this size are available from Craggy Aero (FLARM only?).

My US$0.02.

John DeRosa OHM
Old February 8th 20, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Saturday, February 8, 2020 at 10:04:03 AM UTC-5, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
[...]

The coax is very thin, and the shield is very, very thin. Take care not to pinch the cable while wrapping up ('loosely' in John's words). Sharp corners with any coax should be avoided.

You'll have at least one at your presentation, John, if the weather doesn't slam this Little Rock convention like it did last time...

Dan