Seaplane Landing Question

Old February 17th 08, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Robert11

Default Seaplane Landing Question

Hi,

Probably a silly questio, but I was wondering about how seaplanes land in a
sea with waves running fairly close together ?

e.g., does the pilot try to put down parallel to the wave motion (this would
be along the trough of the wave) or does he
attempt to go perpendicular to the trough on landing ?

My "guess" is that the first is correct, but if so, wouldn't this tend to
flip him over easily) ?

The second would be analogous to the term "pitch-poling" used for sailboats
if they are flipped fore and aft by heading directly into a breaking wave.

Any explanations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
bob

Old February 17th 08, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Mike Beede

In article ,
"Robert11" wrote:

Hi,

Probably a silly questio, but I was wondering about how seaplanes land in a
sea with waves running fairly close together ?

e.g., does the pilot try to put down parallel to the wave motion (this would
be along the trough of the wave) or does he
attempt to go perpendicular to the trough on landing ?

My "guess" is that the first is correct, but if so, wouldn't this tend to
flip him over easily) ?

The second would be analogous to the term "pitch-poling" used for sailboats
if they are flipped fore and aft by heading directly into a breaking wave.

Any explanations would be appreciated.

I've always wanted to get a seaplane rating, but could never
bring myself to blow the money. I found this Canadian instructor's
manual online that seems to suggest that you land perpendicular
to the waves. In the event someone that knows what they're talking
about doesn't comment, here's a pointer to it:

http://www.floatsafety.com/Instructor%20Guide%20Seaplane%20Rating/TP12668e.pdf

You might have a better response in rec.aviation.piloting--I think most
naval aviators that are likely to still be around that operated off water
would be of the rotary wing variety. But I'd sure be interested to hear
from them, too....

Mike Beede
Old February 17th 08, 11:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Tiger

Robert11 wrote:
Hi,

Probably a silly questio, but I was wondering about how seaplanes land in a
sea with waves running fairly close together ?

e.g., does the pilot try to put down parallel to the wave motion (this would
be along the trough of the wave) or does he
attempt to go perpendicular to the trough on landing ?

My "guess" is that the first is correct, but if so, wouldn't this tend to
flip him over easily) ?

The second would be analogous to the term "pitch-poling" used for sailboats
if they are flipped fore and aft by heading directly into a breaking wave.

Any explanations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
bob

Short answer? Most seaplanes except for big stuff like the Short
Sunderlands, Bv's, And perhaps the Martin Mariners, & Grunman Albatross
couldn't handle open sea landings. Calm waters were prefered for the
reasons you describe.There is a rec.aviation.seaplane group that might
give more detailed answer to your question.

Old February 19th 08, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
a425couple

"Robert11" wrote
Probably a silly questio, but I was wondering about how seaplanes
land in a sea with waves running fairly close together ?
Any explanations would be appreciated.

Obviously, asking here or in other ng is a good
valid, unobtrusive method of finding out.

On the other hand, maybe worth a telephone call.
Kenmore Air Harbor in Washington State runs
I believe the biggest fleet of seaplanes in US.
Friendly enough folks, might be worth a call.