canopy breaking tool?

Old September 22nd 03, 04:02 PM
Richard

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 14:19:03 GMT, "Bruce A. Frank"
wrote:

:So going to your plane with your personal firearm unloaded and locked in
:a case is against the local law?

On your way to the airport, it depends on where you are. In
California and most states, no. In a few, like MA, yes, unless you
and that firearm are licensed in that particular state.

The question is on the airport grounds themselves. Is it Federally
controlled, or under the state law? I *think* it's under the state
law, but I'm not sure. I know that if you take your (state) licensed
concealed pistol into a post office you're in a world of hurt, because
the federal law *does* apply there.

Now - after you take off, and you're flying over a state that requires
you and the gun to be licensed but you're no longer on airport
grounds, which law applies? I have no idea.

Just to get us back on topic - would a .22 kitgun with snakeshot be
effective in breaking a canopy? Or would it create a nice round hole
with no tendency to form a crack?

Old September 23rd 03, 04:28 AM
Del Rawlins

On 22 Sep 2003 07:02 AM, Richard posted the following:

law, but I'm not sure. I know that if you take your (state) licensed
concealed pistol into a post office you're in a world of hurt, because
the federal law *does* apply there.

http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/rtc-usps.html

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/
Old September 23rd 03, 06:34 AM
richard

:
: law, but I'm not sure. I know that if you take your (state) licensed
: concealed pistol into a post office you're in a world of hurt, because
: the federal law *does* apply there.
:
:http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/rtc-usps.html

Interesting. The instructor at the CCW course I took a couple of
years ago was retired FBI and was adamant about taking your gun off
before you went inside a post office.

Anyway, for the moment I'll stand by the second part of the sentence -
the federal law applies inside a post office (whether or not it deals
with firearms). The question is still - which law applies at an
airport? And, if the state law prohibits it, does the federal law -
if it applies at the airport - give you any cover? This essay appears
to say no. So don't fly into MA with a pistol in your flightbag.
Old September 23rd 03, 07:21 AM
Del Rawlins

On 22 Sep 2003 09:34 PM, richard posted the following:
wrote:

:On 22 Sep 2003 07:02 AM, Richard posted the following:
:
: law, but I'm not sure. I know that if you take your (state)
: licensed concealed pistol into a post office you're in a world of
: hurt, because the federal law *does* apply there.
:
:http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/rtc-usps.html

Interesting. The instructor at the CCW course I took a couple of
years ago was retired FBI and was adamant about taking your gun off
before you went inside a post office.

As one of "them" that is what I would have expected him to say. Besides,
as an aquaintence of mine once pointed out, "you will be within your
rights, but you will also be within a jail cell." Those signs you see
at the post office always cite the law they are using to justify their
assertion that it is illegal, but they don't put the whole law on the
sign. I've thought about printing out the rest of the law and posting
it next to one of the signs, but that would most likely result in my
getting charged with defacing postal property or some other such thing.

Anyway, for the moment I'll stand by the second part of the sentence -
the federal law applies inside a post office (whether or not it deals
with firearms). The question is still - which law applies at an
airport? And, if the state law prohibits it, does the federal law -
if it applies at the airport - give you any cover? This essay appears
to say no. So don't fly into MA with a pistol in your flightbag.

There is very little chance I will ever go to MA for anything!

Old September 24th 03, 07:08 AM
B2431

I've heard anecdotal stories of people being arrested at Logan when
they change planes with disassembled, unloaded firearms in their
checked bags. May be urban legend.

I have transported firearms via airlines many times including through Logan.
The trick is to transport them in airline approved carrying cases and declare
them when you check in. If in doubt call ahead. Ammunition must be in its
original box and the firearm must be unloaded.

Next time you go through luggage pick up look for luggage with bright orange
tags.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired
Old September 25th 03, 06:21 AM
Bruce A. Frank

Does this mean that if I travel in to Boston with checked guns in my
luggage I will be arrested as I pull them off the turnstile?

I travel with my gun(s) in a locked case, whether on airlines or in
private planes. I have not traveled with them in 5 or 6 years. At that
time I was never accosted by anyone except to verify that my claim check
matched the case. I have been in and out of Philly, Atlanta, New York
City, Orlando, Tampa, Baltimore, Anchorage, SFO, San Jose, Phoenix, and
Washington DC and never have I run in to even the slightest problem...at
least in the past.

Just recently I contacted Delta and American asking about checked guns
and inspections. I was told that gun cases would be inspected at the
ticket check-in, identified with a sticker saying they had been
inspected, then re-locked and I would retain the key.

Just a point of information, there are now IIRC 26 states that have
reciprocity for concealed weapons...meaning that if you are qualified to
carry in your state of residence than you are qualified in those 25
other states.

--
Bruce A. Frank, Editor "Ford 3.8/4.2L Engine and V-6 STOL
Homebuilt Aircraft Newsletter"
Old September 25th 03, 07:35 AM
Richard

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 05:21:42 GMT, "Bruce A. Frank"
wrote:

oes this mean that if I travel in to Boston with checked guns in my
:luggage I will be arrested as I pull them off the turnstile?

That's what I've heard. Supposedly, when they had the Olympics in
Atlanta the warned the international shooters not to travel through
Boston on their way.
:
:I travel with my gun(s) in a locked case, whether on airlines or in
rivate planes. I have not traveled with them in 5 or 6 years. At that
:time I was never accosted by anyone except to verify that my claim check
:matched the case. I have been in and out of Philly, Atlanta, New York
:City, Orlando, Tampa, Baltimore, Anchorage, SFO, San Jose, Phoenix, and
:Washington DC and never have I run in to even the slightest problem...at
:least in the past.
:
:Just recently I contacted Delta and American asking about checked guns
:and inspections. I was told that gun cases would be inspected at the
:ticket check-in, identified with a sticker saying they had been
:inspected, then re-locked and I would retain the key.

A sticker on the gun, or on the outside of the case - saying "There's
a gun in this one, steal it now!!"

:
:Just a point of information, there are now IIRC 26 states that have
:reciprocity for concealed weapons...meaning that if you are qualified to
:carry in your state of residence than you are qualified in those 25
ther states.

Yes, but I'm licensed in California - no reciprocity at all. IIRC a
CA resident can get a license in Arizona and get reciprocity in
something like 5 states, but the one you want is Kentucky.
Old September 25th 03, 10:40 PM
Mike Patterson

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 06:35:09 GMT, Richard wrote:

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 05:21:42 GMT, "Bruce A. Frank"
wrote:

SNIP:
:Just recently I contacted Delta and American asking about checked guns
:and inspections. I was told that gun cases would be inspected at the
:ticket check-in, identified with a sticker saying they had been
:inspected, then re-locked and I would retain the key.

A sticker on the gun, or on the outside of the case - saying "There's
a gun in this one, steal it now!!"

SNIP

I seem to remember reading that once the gun is cased, locked, and
stickered, you can place it insde another, unmarked case and send it
on it's way without the "Steal Me" sticker showing to casual
observers.

Mike

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
Old September 26th 03, 02:02 AM
Bruce A. Frank

The problem may be that even though the locked gunnies is in the
suitcase locked, the suitcase is not locked.

Mike Patterson wrote:

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 06:35:09 GMT, Richard wrote:

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 05:21:42 GMT, "Bruce A. Frank"
wrote:

SNIP:
[...]

*------------------------------**----*
\(-o-)/ AIRCRAFT PROJECTS CO.
\___/ Manufacturing parts & pieces
/ \ for homebuilt aircraft,
0 0 TIG welding

While trying to find the time to finish mine.
Old September 26th 03, 07:55 PM
Rich S.

"Bruce A. Frank" wrote in message

BTW, the word I have is that a permit in UT appears be accepted in all
other states that allow concealed carry.

Do you have a reference list URL of reciprocity carry states?

Rich "Those things sticking outa the leading edge? Those'r ah... er... Pitot
tubes - Yeah, that's it" S.

Tool Question??? Paul Home Built 2 September 1st 03 04:06 PM
FS: SECURITY 150 PARACHUTE PACK W/O CANOPY Tim Hanke Home Built 0 July 21st 03 05:59 PM