A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

L-23 Loose Horizontal Stabilizer



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 10th 19, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Snyder
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 27
Default L-23 Loose Horizontal Stabilizer

We just noticed some play on our club L-23. It was detected in the stick while on tow with a forward CG. Does anyone have experience with a horizontal stab being loose on an L-23? The elevator auto-hookups have large pins, but it seems like there's no way to really tighten anything:

https://www.screencast.com/t/iiOd0TSi8zpX

Ads
  #2  
Old September 10th 19, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 755
Default L-23 Loose Horizontal Stabilizer

On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 1:11:32 PM UTC-4, Chris Snyder wrote:
We just noticed some play on our club L-23. It was detected in the stick while on tow with a forward CG. Does anyone have experience with a horizontal stab being loose on an L-23? The elevator auto-hookups have large pins, but it seems like there's no way to really tighten anything:

https://www.screencast.com/t/iiOd0TSi8zpX


Our L-23 would not go together with the pins looking like that. With everything shiny clean and well greased, it is a real chore to wiggle the elevator drive home. There is no play, anywhere, and certainly none that could be noticed from the cockpit.

I think I'd go have a very close look at that elevator and how assembled.....

best,
Evan Ludeman
  #3  
Old September 10th 19, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Snyder
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 27
Default L-23 Loose Horizontal Stabilizer

On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 1:47:25 PM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:
On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 1:11:32 PM UTC-4, Chris Snyder wrote:
We just noticed some play on our club L-23. It was detected in the stick while on tow with a forward CG. Does anyone have experience with a horizontal stab being loose on an L-23? The elevator auto-hookups have large pins, but it seems like there's no way to really tighten anything:

https://www.screencast.com/t/iiOd0TSi8zpX


Our L-23 would not go together with the pins looking like that. With everything shiny clean and well greased, it is a real chore to wiggle the elevator drive home. There is no play, anywhere, and certainly none that could be noticed from the cockpit.

I think I'd go have a very close look at that elevator and how assembled.....

best,
Evan Ludeman


That was a "stock photo" I found from an assembly manual, but good to know.
  #4  
Old September 10th 19, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,278
Default L-23 Loose Horizontal Stabilizer

On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 10:11:32 AM UTC-7, Chris Snyder wrote:
We just noticed some play on our club L-23. It was detected in the stick while on tow with a forward CG. Does anyone have experience with a horizontal stab being loose on an L-23? The elevator auto-hookups have large pins, but it seems like there's no way to really tighten anything...


You should probably take any looseness in the elevator drive or horizontal stabilizer attachment quite seriously.

Can you describe the play more precisely? Is the play in the elevator actuation, or in the horizontal stab attachment?

--Bob K.



  #5  
Old September 10th 19, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 156
Default L-23 Loose Horizontal Stabilizer

I have a lot of experience on L-23 loose horizontal stabs. The first thing I would check is the fit of the pins. The maintenance manual will tell you the exact maximum number. You’ll need to measure the OD on the pins and the ID on the rocker assembly. Stock pins are pretty easy to find, oversized not so much. If you have to oversize you’ll need to ream the rocker assembly.

Clean and plenty of grease when the horizontal gets put on.
  #6  
Old September 10th 19, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Snyder
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 27
Default L-23 Loose Horizontal Stabilizer

On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 2:30:54 PM UTC-4, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 10:11:32 AM UTC-7, Chris Snyder wrote:
We just noticed some play on our club L-23. It was detected in the stick while on tow with a forward CG. Does anyone have experience with a horizontal stab being loose on an L-23? The elevator auto-hookups have large pins, but it seems like there's no way to really tighten anything...


You should probably take any looseness in the elevator drive or horizontal stabilizer attachment quite seriously.

Can you describe the play more precisely? Is the play in the elevator actuation, or in the horizontal stab attachment?

--Bob K.


Word from Blanik America is the MM provides the tolerance for how much movement is acceptable, so we're going to measure that tonight. The play is in the stab attachment. Apparently there are a few sources that can cause this.

  #7  
Old September 10th 19, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Snyder
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 27
Default L-23 Loose Horizontal Stabilizer

On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 2:40:38 PM UTC-4, Charles Longley wrote:
I have a lot of experience on L-23 loose horizontal stabs. The first thing I would check is the fit of the pins. The maintenance manual will tell you the exact maximum number. You’ll need to measure the OD on the pins and the ID on the rocker assembly. Stock pins are pretty easy to find, oversized not so much. If you have to oversize you’ll need to ream the rocker assembly.

Clean and plenty of grease when the horizontal gets put on.


Thanks for the tip. We'll measure these specs too.
  #8  
Old September 10th 19, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,939
Default L-23 Loose Horizontal Stabilizer

On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 1:10:45 PM UTC-6, Chris Snyder wrote:
On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 2:30:54 PM UTC-4, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 10:11:32 AM UTC-7, Chris Snyder wrote:
We just noticed some play on our club L-23. It was detected in the stick while on tow with a forward CG. Does anyone have experience with a horizontal stab being loose on an L-23? The elevator auto-hookups have large pins, but it seems like there's no way to really tighten anything...


You should probably take any looseness in the elevator drive or horizontal stabilizer attachment quite seriously.

Can you describe the play more precisely? Is the play in the elevator actuation, or in the horizontal stab attachment?

--Bob K.


Word from Blanik America is the MM provides the tolerance for how much movement is acceptable, so we're going to measure that tonight. The play is in the stab attachment. Apparently there are a few sources that can cause this.


Our former L-23 developed play in the horizontal that exceeded the limits. The yoke and pins had to be replaced. The yoke was ordered and arrived without new pins, so they had to be ordered separately. Be sure to order both together if that's the source of the play. Not sure about today, but IIRC it took 4-5 months to get the yoke. The pins, not so long.

Frank Whiteley
  #9  
Old September 11th 19, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Snyder
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 27
Default L-23 Loose Horizontal Stabilizer

On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 6:02:40 PM UTC-4, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 1:10:45 PM UTC-6, Chris Snyder wrote:
On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 2:30:54 PM UTC-4, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 10:11:32 AM UTC-7, Chris Snyder wrote:
We just noticed some play on our club L-23. It was detected in the stick while on tow with a forward CG. Does anyone have experience with a horizontal stab being loose on an L-23? The elevator auto-hookups have large pins, but it seems like there's no way to really tighten anything...

You should probably take any looseness in the elevator drive or horizontal stabilizer attachment quite seriously.

Can you describe the play more precisely? Is the play in the elevator actuation, or in the horizontal stab attachment?

--Bob K.


Word from Blanik America is the MM provides the tolerance for how much movement is acceptable, so we're going to measure that tonight. The play is in the stab attachment. Apparently there are a few sources that can cause this.


Our former L-23 developed play in the horizontal that exceeded the limits.. The yoke and pins had to be replaced. The yoke was ordered and arrived without new pins, so they had to be ordered separately. Be sure to order both together if that's the source of the play. Not sure about today, but IIRC it took 4-5 months to get the yoke. The pins, not so long.

Frank Whiteley


Okay, that's good to know. Thankfully our stab measurement was within the specs, so we're good for now.

Thanks everyone for all of the help!
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
stowing horizontal stabilizer on tail boom in trailer [email protected] Soaring 24 June 19th 19 07:47 PM
Scheibe SF-25 Motorfalke horizontal stabilizer and other parts needed [email protected] Soaring 7 January 25th 17 05:51 PM
Looking for a Libelle Horizontal Stabilizer J Wahl Soaring 1 May 2nd 15 05:01 AM
G-103 horizontal stabilizer airfoil section ? [email protected] Soaring 3 November 23rd 08 04:30 AM
WTB: 1-34 Horizontal Stabilizer Jeremy Zawodny Soaring 1 October 15th 04 05:12 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.