Discus a price reduced

Old September 16th 19, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Will Jameson

Default Discus a price reduced

Discus a SN63 price reduced to $28,000
Located in Syracuse, NY
https://wingsandwheels.com/class/classified.php?id=3596

Thanks
Will Jameson
713-705-7051

Old September 17th 19, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

The cost of owning a glider is reasonable, even if you own an expensive glider, as long as you choose one that doesn’t loose much value and you keep it in good shape.
The cost of operating a glider is the main factor (although not nearly as bad as power plane): tows, aero retrieves, membership fees, oxygen, tie down fees, gas for driving to the airport etc all adds up to much more than owning a glider, especially if you fly as often as you should.
Just as the saying about buying a house, buy as much glider as you can comfortably afford.
I often see folks who can effort buying a nice glider, but instead trying to spend as little as possible and end up hardly flying as a result.

Ramy
Old September 17th 19, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Oh Ramy, Any glider you have owned surely has reached its life limit Seriously though you do take care of them as do I, but its tough to get top dollar when you put 3000+ hours on in less than 10 years. All part of the plan

CH ASW27 (formally Ventus B)
Old September 17th 19, 04:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Indeed I fly too much and as such I factor in 20% loss or so in 10 years which is still not too bad, most folks who fly less get back very close to what they paid. Sometime more.

Ramy
Old September 17th 19, 06:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Monday, September 16, 2019 at 8:29:23 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
Indeed I fly too much and as such I factor in 20% loss or so in 10 years which is still not too bad, most folks who fly less get back very close to what they paid. Sometime more.

Ramy

Trying to cost-justify a sport is, simply, a losing proposition. Just spend the money and enjoy it - at the end of the day that is what counts!
Old September 17th 19, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Frankly, I don't see what effect flight hours have on a glider. Soaring
places so little stress on an air frame that it's almost insignificant.Â*
Having said that, I know that buyers feel that a high time glider is
less valuable than a low time glider.

I knew of a low time LS-6 that, at the time I tried to purchase it, had
sat unused in its trailer for probably 10 years.Â* The owner wasn't
interested in selling.Â* Ten years later, I've still not heard of it
having been out of the box.Â* I wonder what opening the trailer now would
reveal.

And thinking about costs:Â* Here at Moriarty a Grob 103 or LS-4 rental is
(last time I checked) $50/hour plus tow cost.Â* So if I sell my Stemme
for $50,000 less than I paid for it after flying it for 1,000 hours, I
think I will have come out well ahead in the pleasure category.Â* And it
will still have less than 1,200 airframe hours and 3-400 engine hours.Â*
A great ship for someone wanting the capability.

--
Dan, 5J
Old September 17th 19, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ross[_3_]

10 years in a trailer reminds me of a Discus 2a I bought
Hadn’t been out for 7
Was mouldy on the outer surfaces which did come up ok after a serious clean, sand and polish
The upholstery was rotten right through and in general the glider was in a terrible state.
I dare say it does come down to the environment it is kept in. Dry and warm beats sitting out in the cold wet and snow
Old September 17th 19, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

As a potential buyer, this looks like a nice well cared for aircraft, and flying a Discus is appealing. The problem with almost all gliders offered in this price performance range is that the gel coat is only going to get worse.

Accept the degradation in performance and the gradual UV damage to the underlying fiber seems the most viable future for this glider. What about investing $25K in a proper restore and paint? With $53K invested I'd surely want to upgrade the avionics, another $5-7K. Then I'd have sunk $60K, plus the hassle and delay of getting the restoration completed.

If I wanted to invest $60K+ in a glider, I might stretch my budget to $70-80K and pick something much nicer that was ready to fly tommorrow.

Sell gliders like this for $8-10K and you'd have a lot more gliderless pilots buying gliders and making a bigger commitment to fly. Gliders moldering in trailers hurt the sport and ultimately lose the owners more money.

Old September 17th 19, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Flub
Your missing the point.
Live for today.
This thing appears RTF
Today
and Tomorrow if you don't ball it up today on take off or landing
And next season
and the next
and the next
Old October 14th 19, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Per the wings and wheels ad .. price has been reduced to $26.5K