Logan, Utah Mountain XC Camp Report

Old September 4th 19, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

Default Logan, Utah Mountain XC Camp Report

Over twenty glider pilots had an amazing week in Logan, Utah mid-August 2019 and the world should know how great Logan is to come fly. Logan is a magical, technical mountain soaring site that allows pilots to fly all over northern Utah and far into both Idaho and Wyoming as well. I figure you won't take one of the organizers' word for it so I hope some of the pilots who came out will also post their experiences here.

Logan is a larger college town with lots to offer outside of just soaring so your spouse isn't stuck in some windy, dust bowl of a Podunk town while you are up playing. The airport is very capable of hosting glider events without our getting in the way of other power traffic. While we do launch a little bit later in the 1pm-2pm range, the lift stays till dark so we can still enjoy 6-7 hour big flights. Another nice thing about Logan is that when an event is not going on, there are still tows available from Kim Hall 6 days per week all season long. Many pilots make it out to Logan on a yearly basis to fly for a week or two during the prime soaring months.

We had some fantastic flights during our camp, great weather, amazing dinners, and we were able to enjoy the mountain soaring safely with not much stress. We hope to do another mountain camp in Logan again in a few years.

Here's a video from my first day flying from Logan during the event - fun stuff: https://youtu.be/c6m9n5jYWCk

Safe flying,
Bruno - B4
Old September 4th 19, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

ðŸ‘
Old September 4th 19, 04:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Logan is a beautiful place to fly. I had a great time there and i want to come back for another opportunity. Cindy did a great job managing the details and the food was super. The tows went perfectly. Good job Bruno for pulling this together.

I love your videos. Could you do one showing just how to climb up to the main ridge. I would like to see how you use the spurs to climb with winds slightly north or south of west. Please start from 2000-2500 ft above the airport.
Old September 4th 19, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

On Tuesday, September 3, 2019 at 8:49:50 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Logan is a beautiful place to fly. I had a great time there and i want to come back for another opportunity. Cindy did a great job managing the details and the food was super. The tows went perfectly. Good job Bruno for pulling this together.

I love your videos. Could you do one showing just how to climb up to the main ridge. I would like to see how you use the spurs to climb with winds slightly north or south of west. Please start from 2000-2500 ft above the airport.

Get on OLC and look at some of Tim Taylor's flights earlier this year. I did that in preparation for the event and learned a lot just by reviewing his flights.

I only wish I could have stayed longer this year. I was only able to be there for 4 of the days and had some great flights.

Bruno, shall I post the LOOP?

Mike
Old September 5th 19, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

Logan is awesome! I currently live about 30 miles S.W. of Logan. I looked out the window today towards Logan and just awesome cloud streets today. Well developed CU. Along what we locally call the Wasatch back.
You could soar for miles today. Cannot wait to retire so I can fly on week days instead of just weekends.
Old September 5th 19, 05:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Malone

On Tuesday, September 3, 2019 at 8:30:56 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Attended the Logan camp this year and learned a lot about flying close to rocks. It was a good event - not too crowded but met a lot nice pilots and crew. I am very glad I attended. Big thanks to Bruno, Cindy, Ron, and Kim for hosting a nice event.

Dan M - PG
Old September 5th 19, 05:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

Here's a video on B4 doing a loop. It was shot with a Rylo 360 camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2cAcOxtPM8

Mike
Old September 6th 19, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I'm adding a much longer post/impression, with the hope that what I learned will help other people thinking about flying at Logan.

The OLC camp was wonderful, one of the best experiences I've had in soaring (and I've had some great ones!) Everyone there was excellent; and I cannot say enough kind words about how well-run it was. Ron Gleason, Bruno Vassel, Kim & Cindy Hall did a super job. The Halls run one of the best FBOs I've ever seen (I'm a commercial+CFI in power too) ... a pleasure just to see that in this era of declining general aviation.

I will go back! ... and its a long schlepp for me -- drove out from New York bringing my Discus, to fly the Ephrata regionals and the Logan OLC.

I went to Logan cautiously and with a personal agenda -- I never attempted to jump over to the Salt River Range, also never flew with water (the 2nd is likely a prerequisite for the first) ... felt I had my hands full with what I was attempting ... maybe do those things next year.

But I did get my Gold altitude on the first day I had an oxygen system in QJ, and I made a good flight every day I was there (except the one I spent wrestling with installing said system) ... you can see that on OLC, and I made two big flights at the end of the week - the second of which made Gold distance, and should have made Diamond goal, but the claim was denied... for weird problems of start/finish that stemmed from XCsoar/LXNAV S100 problems I still do not understand (and may end up being another post here when I know a bit more). Both of these flights were made on days that "weren't so great" by Logan standards, and the flight where I did get Gold distance was made on a day where Ron & Bruno kept the task to "play on the ridge" over concern about the forecast: a mediocre day at Logan can be as good as a great day at most places, particularly in the east.

If you look at Bruno's videos you'd gain the impression that all there is .... is the ridge and jumping the LONG gap to the Salt River range and going north, but this misses everything that is to the west and northwest of Logan, away from the ridge. There's excellent soaring there on decent days, and its over very landable terrain. It's good country to do your gold or diamond flights.

This being said, most days do start with climbing the Logan ridge to get out of the early valley inversion, and it's not a good place for those with weak pilotage -- A pilot must be competent at low-altitude maneuvering, be able to maneuver by ground reference instinctively at bank angles 45° and more in a wind. But given that, and some common sense ... it's much safer than its reputation.

Logan is DIFFERENT; it upsets much of "what you know" from other places. You need to listen to those with local knowledge, and ridge soaring experience of any kind helps.

I learned to fly at Torrey Pines (that dates me), and instructed there when I was young. That all came back to me and was completely relevant. One of the local pilots dismissed it as "that's a sand dune" and in comparison of scale that's true, but you need greater precision and quicker judgement flying a small ridge, and they can be rougher.

Several things make Logan different though:

* DENSITY ALTITUDE (do not forget it!) Your circling size is larger, both due to altitude and the fact of any ridge flying: roll authority is is key, always keeping your speed up enough so you have it is a necessity.

* It's a very tall ridge, so the thermal wind up it matters much more; this (and the typical low valley inversion) is what makes it truly "alpine." But I don't know of any other "alpine" amidst western desert soaring.

* The scale and the height mean that thermals often cling to ridges coming up the slope, and the gullies are large -- both of these provide impetus to circle more. On weak days, or if you start down in the inversion, you won't be able to climb out just by figure-eighting. Circling close to the ridge takes very good judgement ... every circle. Each time around you must judge whether you are OK early enough to figure-eight out if you are not. The biggest safety "edge" you can easily give yourself at Logan is just to take a higher tow; particularly important if you are flying something extra-long-winged.

* Almost all of the terrain on top of the ridge and to the east is unlandable. Don't get far enough east of the main scarp that you cannot get back! Below the main scarp there's varying jumble, particularly as you go north & south ... but all the canyons do lead out, at safe gradients.

But again ... to the west and north -- lots of safe landable terrain.

If anybody wants to talk to me more about it ... I'm Lee Harrison, QJ
Old September 6th 19, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Excellent report, Lee!Â* And good advice on the type of flying required
to climb the ridge east of Logan.

Next time you get there use water in that Discus.Â* You'll be glad you did.

--
Dan, 5J
Old September 6th 19, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ralph Trinity

GREAT Experience. We drove from Austin Texas and can't wait to do this again.
1) Bruno + Ron + Kim + Cindy and the team did a Great job running an instructive and safe camp. They were constantly coaching and helping keep us safe..

2) The Logan Ridge + 4 other convenient Ridges + Valley lift + The western desert + Wave Lift + multi-sourced Convergence lift makes this soaring site one of the most interesting and educational sites I've ever experienced.

3) I've flown Nephi as well, and both sites have their attractions. Both are great places to fly. For you experienced ridge runners and mountain flyers that have not yet tried logan, Kim will be glad to give you a tow so if you are in the area you might want to give it a try.

4) The ridge lift was great, the convergence lift was great, there was wave that more skilled pilots could have harnessed as well, and the thermals were great as well.

5) Some people find climbing up the ridge at the start of day to be work. Ron and Bruno made some simple changes that make that less taxing. First they launched later in the day when the thermal and wind activity made this easier. Second they permitted people to tow to a height that made the connection easier. Whether you are using the camp or are an experienced pilot getting a tow from Kim, I recommend for the first few days you use both of those techniques.

THANKS AGAIN to RON and BRUNO for continuing this great work with these camps and contests at Nephi and Logan, and for all the videos that are educating and teaching people about soaring and soaring with the appropriate disciplines.