Caution -- InReach Explorer Dead

Old April 23rd 18, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Caution -- InReach Explorer Dead

Saturday I updated the software in my InReach Explorer, topped off the battery after winter storage, and reactivated my account. I sent a test message, and

Yesterday I took my first flight of the year. Before takeoff I turned on the device, started tracking, and shared my flight with my wife. Everything seemed fine.

When I landed about 3 hours later (it was nice to be back in the air, but the day was not great), I tried to power down the device, but the screen was dark. On further examination, it did not send any tracking data during my flight, so it must have been dead almost from the start.

The device was two years old, and had been used exclusively for soaring, perhaps 60 flights total. When I called Garmin they lead me through a couple of tests that determined it was dead.

Replacement: $200! And the replacement device is refurbished!

The fact that they are providing a refurbished replacement is an indication that they do have a supply of failed units.

Has anyone else had such an early failure?

BTW, here is my estimate of the cost for two years of flying:

Device -- $400
Activation -- $30
Monthly fee -- 10 months at $35/month, $350
Total -- $780

Or ~13/flight

I really wish there was a comparable competing product...

Old April 23rd 18, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 11:20:51 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

My SE turned into a brick at the time Garmin was taking over InReach from Delorme. Took a bit of extra time to sort out due to the changeover, but all went fine. Don't remember how much it cost to swap.
Know of two InReach SEs that went blank but could be reset and worked again with only assistance from Garmin support. Wonder if a botched attempt at resetting can brick it.
Every time a glider expense is entered, Quicken asks me to categorise. Find it best not to do that, and just hit the "get over it" button.
Last I looked, anything comparable costs more or does less.
Jim

Old April 23rd 18, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

I was "just after" smoking foil for barographs. I did quite a few Replogble(sp) barographs and cameras.
To err is human, to truely screw up requires a computer.
Stated before Apple.

Yep, my lapses is longer than tech advances.....
Sigh.

Old April 24th 18, 12:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
xcnick

My on off button no longer works, but it was set to start up when plugged in so I start it each time by plugging it in. Stays on after unplugging.
Old April 29th 18, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6X

My InReach now has a problem with the USB port but I like the product. Purchased a new InReach Explorer that Cabella's has for $200 or 1/2 cost of new InReach SE+.
Old May 1st 18, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy

Sorry to hear your having problems with your InReach.
I have one and so far its been great, hope mine keeps working.
BTW the ability to send and receive texts with the thing is truly remarkable.
A couple of years ago I landed out in Idaho, truly in the middle of nowhere, flying out of Logan Ut.
The texting function saved me from having to spend the night out. And I knew someone was coming.

Old May 1st 18, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

It's great that you were spared danger, discomfort, and inconvenience,
but it's a sad state of affairs when you have to hope that your $500
piece of kit (plus subscription) will work when you need it...Â* Are
these failures caused by faulty hardware or software, or misuse?Â* And
while I'm on a rant, what's an Oudie cost?

On 4/30/2018 7:31 PM, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Sorry to hear your having problems with your InReach.
I have one and so far its been great, hope mine keeps working.
BTW the ability to send and receive texts with the thing is truly remarkable.
A couple of years ago I landed out in Idaho, truly in the middle of nowhere, flying out of Logan Ut.
The texting function saved me from having to spend the night out. And I knew someone was coming.

--
Dan, 5J

inReach Explorer vs SE vs SPOT and tracking interval? [email protected] Soaring 4 December 19th 16 12:40 AM
Delorme InReach Explorer [email protected] Soaring 11 April 21st 14 07:48 AM
AUDIO: Bush jewish. Blair jewish. Howard jewish. Sarkozy jewish. 1.2 million muslims dead. Thousands of Americans dead. Trillion$ missing. [email protected] Naval Aviation 0 November 2nd 07 06:56 PM
FLAPS-Caution Steve Leonard Soaring 0 August 27th 05 04:10 AM
caution - wake turbulence John Harlow Piloting 1 June 4th 04 04:40 PM