A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Caution -- InReach Explorer Dead

Old April 23rd 18, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Caution -- InReach Explorer Dead

Saturday I updated the software in my InReach Explorer, topped off the battery after winter storage, and reactivated my account. I sent a test message, and

Yesterday I took my first flight of the year. Before takeoff I turned on the device, started tracking, and shared my flight with my wife. Everything seemed fine.

When I landed about 3 hours later (it was nice to be back in the air, but the day was not great), I tried to power down the device, but the screen was dark. On further examination, it did not send any tracking data during my flight, so it must have been dead almost from the start.

The device was two years old, and had been used exclusively for soaring, perhaps 60 flights total. When I called Garmin they lead me through a couple of tests that determined it was dead.

Replacement: $200! And the replacement device is refurbished!

The fact that they are providing a refurbished replacement is an indication that they do have a supply of failed units.

Has anyone else had such an early failure?

BTW, here is my estimate of the cost for two years of flying:

Device -- $400
Activation -- $30
Monthly fee -- 10 months at $35/month, $350
Total -- $780

Or ~13/flight

I really wish there was a comparable competing product...

Old April 23rd 18, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 11:20:51 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Saturday I updated the software in my InReach Explorer, topped off the battery after winter storage, and reactivated my account. I sent a test message, and

Yesterday I took my first flight of the year. Before takeoff I turned on the device, started tracking, and shared my flight with my wife. Everything seemed fine.

When I landed about 3 hours later (it was nice to be back in the air, but the day was not great), I tried to power down the device, but the screen was dark. On further examination, it did not send any tracking data during my flight, so it must have been dead almost from the start.

The device was two years old, and had been used exclusively for soaring, perhaps 60 flights total. When I called Garmin they lead me through a couple of tests that determined it was dead.

The fact that they are providing a refurbished replacement is an indication that they do have a supply of failed units.

Device -- $400
Activation -- $30
Total -- $780

Or ~13/flight

My SE turned into a brick at the time Garmin was taking over InReach from Delorme. Took a bit of extra time to sort out due to the changeover, but all went fine. Don't remember how much it cost to swap.
Know of two InReach SEs that went blank but could be reset and worked again with only assistance from Garmin support. Wonder if a botched attempt at resetting can brick it.
Every time a glider expense is entered, Quicken asks me to categorise. Find it best not to do that, and just hit the "get over it" button.
Last I looked, anything comparable costs more or does less.
Jim
Old April 23rd 18, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

Apparently Spot has a new product in development to directly compete with the InReach.

Device -- $400
Activation -- $30
Total -- $780

Or ~13/flight

Old April 23rd 18, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

I was "just after" smoking foil for barographs. I did quite a few Replogble(sp) barographs and cameras.
To err is human, to truely screw up requires a computer.
Stated before Apple.

Yep, my lapses is longer than tech advances.....
Sigh.
Old April 24th 18, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Want something cheaper?Â* Look at XCSoar and (free) live tracking.

On 4/23/2018 12:47 PM, JS wrote:

Device -- $400
Activation -- $30
Total -- $780

Or ~13/flight

My SE turned into a brick at the time Garmin was taking over InReach from Delorme. Took a bit of extra time to sort out due to the changeover, but all went fine. Don't remember how much it cost to swap.
Know of two InReach SEs that went blank but could be reset and worked again with only assistance from Garmin support. Wonder if a botched attempt at resetting can brick it.
Every time a glider expense is entered, Quicken asks me to categorise. Find it best not to do that, and just hit the "get over it" button.
Last I looked, anything comparable costs more or does less.
Jim

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 24th 18, 12:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
xcnick
external usenet poster

My on off button no longer works, but it was set to start up when plugged in so I start it each time by plugging it in. Stays on after unplugging.
Old April 29th 18, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6X
external usenet poster

My InReach now has a problem with the USB port but I like the product. Purchased a new InReach Explorer that Cabella's has for $200 or 1/2 cost of new InReach SE+.
Old May 1st 18, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy
external usenet poster

Sorry to hear your having problems with your InReach.
I have one and so far its been great, hope mine keeps working.
BTW the ability to send and receive texts with the thing is truly remarkable.
A couple of years ago I landed out in Idaho, truly in the middle of nowhere, flying out of Logan Ut.
The texting function saved me from having to spend the night out. And I knew someone was coming.

Old May 1st 18, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

It's great that you were spared danger, discomfort, and inconvenience,
but it's a sad state of affairs when you have to hope that your $500
piece of kit (plus subscription) will work when you need it...Â* Are
these failures caused by faulty hardware or software, or misuse?Â* And
while I'm on a rant, what's an Oudie cost?

On 4/30/2018 7:31 PM, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Sorry to hear your having problems with your InReach.
I have one and so far its been great, hope mine keeps working.
BTW the ability to send and receive texts with the thing is truly remarkable.
A couple of years ago I landed out in Idaho, truly in the middle of nowhere, flying out of Logan Ut.
The texting function saved me from having to spend the night out. And I knew someone was coming.

--
Dan, 5J