First Regionals - NorCal or SoCal?

Old October 4th 08, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Default First Regionals - NorCal or SoCal?

Hi All,

So I was looking at my vacation schedule for 2009 and I realized that
there's a chance I can make TWO Regionals next year. I'll be
competing in Sports Class with my DG-300. One of the contests will
definitely be the Region 8 contest in Ephrata, WA (since I live in
Seattle and have flown EPH several times this summer).

But I'm trying to decide what the other contest location should be...
I can't spend the time to drive all the way across the country
(otherwise I'd make a bee-line for Mifflin, I LOVE ridge flying and
don't get to do it much up here). So I'm thinking it'll have to be a
contest somewhere in the western US, within a 2-day drive of Seattle.

I grew up in the San Diego area, and I've done some local flying out
of Warner Springs (not much, but enough to finish my Glider
endorsement and try out a couple of gliders for sale there). My
parents still live there and its within a 2-day drive of Seattle...
But I don't know much about the contest environment or how the XC
conditions are.

On the other hand, I also have family property outside of Truckee, and
I flew for a few days at Minden this spring. I've never flown out of
Williams or any of the other Nor-Cal locations - but I'm familiar with
the general topology of middle and northern California.

My question to all of your is: Which Regional contest do you think is
more appropriate for a first-time competitor (both are likely to be
held prior to Region 8) and WHY? Is one area better for landout
options, or have trickier soaring conditions, or have better
attendance, or have better "mentors" available, or have more potential
for practice days before the event, or exhibit other key factors?

Any tips or info would be much appreciated!

Thanks, take care,

--Noel
P.S. I'm not locked into R11 or R12... I just don't know much about
other contests within a 2-day drive (1000 miles) of Seattle. Other
suggestions are welcome.

Old October 4th 08, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sinclair[_2_]

Hi Noel,
Montague will host a regionals along with standard and open nats (6/16 -
6/25), probably the first 5 days. The regionals may be just sports.
Montague is/can be quite technical, but there are airports about every 20
miles or so.

Air Sailing will host their annual all sports contest in mid to late July
and it is quite low-key, but competitive. Usually very good soaring with
airports about every 20 miles or so. Camp on the field or drive to Sparks
which is 30 miles. Could even drive to your Truckee house, about an hour
away. I will mentor you at either one of the above contests as long as you
remain below me on the score sheet........................start beating me
and your on your own!
JJ
Old October 5th 08, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Noel,

I say, do as JJ suggests and fly the Air Sailing contest.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old October 6th 08, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Noel,
My first contest was at Air Sailing in 2003 and I have flown that
contest often since. I concur w/JJ but from a beginner's point of
learning environment. Not to mention it is about ten hours and lots of
gasoline closer!

John Downing
1PD/GO
Old October 6th 08, 05:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Thanks guys, the Air Sailing event sounds like fun! But its going to
be held AFTER the Region 8 contest. The whole point of going to a Cali
competition is to get one under my belt _before_ the big R8 & 18m
Nationals... That's gonna be a busy event with a lot of gliders, and
I want to know my way around a contest and the various task types by
the time I get there. Also, I don't want to look too bad in front of
the National-level guys that will be there. :-)

If I can make it down to part or all of the Air Sailing event, I
will... But my focus is going to be on Regional comps - especially
ones in the April to Early-June timeframe.

Thanks, take care,

--Noel

Old October 6th 08, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_1_]

-
6/25), probably the first 5 days. The regionals may be just sports.
Montague is/can be quite technical, but there are airports about every
20
miles or so.

Please see my website for more information about flying at Montague.

Local knowledge and picture links on this page

http://www.craggyaero.com/towing.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old October 7th 08, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Orion Kingman

On Oct 3, 4:42*pm, "noel.wade" wrote:
[...]

Come join us at R12! To get an idea about what it is like take a look
at: http://r12.deltavictor8.com/ Garret has developed this contest as
a primer for the nationals, and as an introduction to racing. There
usually current, and former US Team Members there, as well as some
very well versed locals who all participate in a mentor program for
people who have never raced, or who have never flown X-Country from
Sky Sailing.

Orion Kingman
DV8
Old October 7th 08, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Orion Kingman

Sorry for the bad link; its http://region12.deltavictor8.com/