Locomotive turbine conversion?

Old July 10th 05, 07:16 PM
Keith W

"Anton" wrote in message ...
"Keith W" wrote

Yes, its been done with the turbo's for road vehicles

http://www.channel4.com/science/micr...ges/jet_racer/
diary_team02.html

Hmm...That text is little bit confusing, in fact I don't really understand
what are they talking about...They have said much, but still, nothing.Only
some story from that race.

Sure BUT it would be a very complex build as you'd need to build a
compressor stage and burner cans and then couple the
high revving turbine to the transmission.

I know.High revs can be solved with reductor.Now, I need more information
about compressor stage and burner cans

Then visit a library

I presume that all this could fit to a car, for example Ford Cortina, or
something like that.

Its been done so its possible.

How strong must be, I mean how much thrust could turbocharger from car
produce?Could I make a one man vehicle from that?

Thrust is meaningless unless you intend making a jet powered car.

Given enough time and money you can build anything and gas turbine cars
have been built. The real question is why ?

I know that gas turbine cars have been built, but the real question is,
have
they been built in private garages?
Why?
Why do people climb on mountains, why do people surf, why do people like
diving..?
I hope you understand what am I aiming for.I want to have a first gas
turbine powered car in Croatia. Is that enough?

No

Jet powered streetrace car...Hmm...Nice... ( like Homer Simpson would
said )

First learn a little about engineering

Such a vehicle is likely to be unreliable and extremely inefficient in
using fuel and probably could not be certified for road use.

That isn't my intention at all.I want to make that car, not for daily use,
but for streetrace, for example, why not?That would be a show...

And almost certainly illegal.

A better approach may be a hybrid using a small gas turbine running
at constant speed to charge a battery for an electrically driven
vehicle.

If I wanted to do that, I would go on some 1.4 liter diesel engine, which
can I buy almost everywhere and make electric car.

Indeed

Keith

Old July 10th 05, 07:30 PM
Anton

wrote

So... When I was young, my father told me, "If you have to ask how much
it costs, then you probably can't afford it."

Not true.

Have you totally rebuilt an old car, with your own hands, from the
wheels up?

Yes, if you have to ask, you can see it on this web page:

http://free-vk.t-com.hr/taunus

Switched engines, completely restaureted V6, new brakes, and all other
things.That chrashed my brother, so I have done same thing with another one,
in which I added completely new exhaust system, painted and all bodywork by
myself.

Have you ever taken a car and fitted a much larger engine to it?

Read up.Before that 2.8 V6, engine vas 1.6 4-cyl.

Have you ever worked with turbine engines before? (Obviously not, based
on your questions)

No.I prefer NA engines.Even now.I'm interested in turbines as engines, not
like add on to piston engines.

In order to succeed, you first need to turn your turbochargers into a
turbine engine. Before you can even begin to think about doing this you
need to learn how turbines work. Then you can begin laying out a plan.

I know principles, after all, I'm studying railway traffic, and we have many
mechanical courses.

This is a project that would probably keep you busy for 5 years if you
work part-time.

You mean on locomotive turbine into car, or just plain turbocharger
converting to gas turbine?If is this last, then you must se what people on
intrent have made for month or less with scrap turbocharges from local
junkyard.

As for how much power it puts out, who knows? There's a ton of
variables in there. I'd suspect a few hundred horsepower, maybe more,
quite likely less. It will probably turn out heavier than an equivalent
piston engine, and thus the car will actually go slower.

Why?That doesn't mean that it must be like you said.

How cool will
that be?

Why that tone?I mean, what is so wrong if I ask something like this?A guy
near my town built a motorcycle with tractor diesel engine.It's slow, but
it's cool, so?
A guy in Serbia made Yugo who works on wood?I mean, wood is fuel, and the
principle is,hm...You'll understand, I don't have that much knowledge in
english...

Old July 10th 05, 07:34 PM
Anton

"Keith W" wrote

Then visit a library

OK.

Its been done so its possible.

Good...

Thrust is meaningless unless you intend making a jet powered car.

Yes, I know, mea culpa, I mixed some things.My intention is to make traction
car, not thrust.

No

Why not?

First learn a little about engineering

Like I said post before, I know mechanical engineering, but I haven't never
been interested in turbines.I'm working all by myself on my car.Ask me
anything about piston engines and I'll tell you.

And almost certainly illegal.

Look, I don't know where you from, but trust me, it's legal, here it is.I
don't know for you and your country.

Indeed

Yes?

Old July 10th 05, 10:50 PM
Rich S.

"Anton" wrote in message ...

Look, I don't know where you from, but trust me, it's legal, here it is.I
don't know for you and your country.

Wow, Anton. I'm impressed! You were a lot more polite than most people would
be after receiving such a snotty, rude reply.

Good luck in your project.

Rich S.

Old July 10th 05, 11:03 PM
Keith W

"Rich S." wrote in message
"Anton" wrote in message ...

Look, I don't know where you from, but trust me, it's legal, here it is.I
don't know for you and your country.

Wow, Anton. I'm impressed! You were a lot more polite than most people
would be after receiving such a snotty, rude reply.

If you think my reply was snotty and rude you've led
a very sheltered life.

Keith

Old July 11th 05, 01:28 AM
Rich S.

"Keith W" wrote in message

If you think my reply was snotty and rude you've led
a very sheltered life.

I can only hope that it continues. No one with whom I associate would ever
be that nasty without direct provocation.

Did someone from Croatia **** in your cornflakes?

Rich S.

Old July 11th 05, 10:19 AM

The UK's APT (Advanced Passenger Train) of the 1970s used 6 gas
turbines to power it. Never made it into service.
pics of one of the turbines. http://www.apt-e.org/index/apt73.htm

David

Old July 11th 05, 11:00 AM
Anton

"Rich S." wrote

Wow, Anton. I'm impressed! You were a lot more polite than most people

would
be after receiving such a snotty, rude reply.

Well... I don't know what kind of people are here, but on croatian
usenet, I had many flames with very juicy swearwords
People often do know send rude reply's, before that made me angry, but
nowadays, I became numb for that.It isn't worth of making myself nervous...

Good luck in your project.

Thanks!Do you have some of your own experience?At least with car turbo's?

Old July 11th 05, 11:01 AM
Anton

"Rich S." wrote

Did someone from Croatia **** in your cornflakes?

LOL

Old July 11th 05, 03:09 PM
Keith W

"Rich S." wrote in message
"Keith W" wrote in message

If you think my reply was snotty and rude you've led
a very sheltered life.

I can only hope that it continues. No one with whom I associate would ever
be that nasty without direct provocation.

Did someone from Croatia **** in your cornflakes?

Rich S.

Lets see I gave him pointers to people who had built
such a machine, advice on a method of coupling the
drive and made the suggestion that using such a machine
for street racing may be illegal, as it would be in the UK.

So what assistance did you provide oh magnanimous one ?

Keith