Tried to Call it "Runway 7" today...

Old October 20th 05, 05:17 AM
Jay Honeck

Default Tried to Call it "Runway 7" today...

After all the talk about not using "leading zeros" when making radio calls
referring to runways, I tried my darndest to omit those offending zeros
today.

To my surprise and dismay, my mouth has apparently developed an "autopilot"
mode that seemed to prohibit even the simplest changes to my rote radio
procedures. It literally took me FOUR TRIES to be able to refer to our
Runway 7 as "Runway SEVEN" -- not "Runway ZERO SEVEN."

Dang, you wouldn't think such a minor thing would be so hard to change, but
after saying it one way 5.6 zillion-billion times, I just couldn't seem to
get the words out straight!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 20th 05, 05:28 AM
Jack Allison

Jay Honeck wrote:
Dang, you wouldn't think such a minor thing would be so hard to change, but
after saying it one way 5.6 zillion-billion times

Wow, that's a lot of takeoffs/landing...you must have a gazillion hours
logged by now...and you were saying I'm flying a lot lately? :-)

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old October 20th 05, 05:40 AM
Bill

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 04:17:16 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

After all the talk about not using "leading zeros" when making radio calls
referring to runways, I tried my darndest to omit those offending zeros
today.

To my surprise and dismay, my mouth has apparently developed an "autopilot"
mode that seemed to prohibit even the simplest changes to my rote radio
procedures. It literally took me FOUR TRIES to be able to refer to our
Runway 7 as "Runway SEVEN" -- not "Runway ZERO SEVEN."

Dang, you wouldn't think such a minor thing would be so hard to change, but
after saying it one way 5.6 zillion-billion times, I just couldn't seem to
get the words out straight!

:-)

I know about verbal autopilot.

I flew for about a week in Mexico, and some controllers were saying
"Roger Roger" instead of "Roger" and we started playing with them.

What I found was the controllers in this area (Campecehe,
Villahermosa, Veracruz) would say either one or two "Rogers" all the
time. So we started doubling up on our "Rogers"

Then we started seeing how far it would go. We started saying Triple
Rogers to everything we could answer affirmatively.

"6030L confirm 20 DME from Campeche"

"Ah, 6030L, Roger Roger Roger"

And the controllers started replying with triple rogers! All was well
and good until we finally came back to the U.S., and after clearing
customs in Brownsville, we were making our way up the cost and Corpus
Christi calls with "30L, verify straight and level at 3000 feet."

Yep, without even thinking I keyed the mike and replied "30L Roger
Roger Roger"

There was a long silence, and just as it was sinking in what I had
done, the controller said "30L....say again?"

It was at least two weeks before I could get rid of the Rogers in my
head while dealing with ATC.

Bill Strahan
Old October 20th 05, 06:08 AM
Jay Beckman

"Jack Allison" wrote in message
Jay Honeck wrote:
Dang, you wouldn't think such a minor thing would be so hard to change,
but after saying it one way 5.6 zillion-billion times

Wow, that's a lot of takeoffs/landing...you must have a gazillion hours
logged by now...and you were saying I'm flying a lot lately? :-)

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student

Jack,

If I've told you once I've told you a billion times: DON'T EXAGERATE!!

;O)

Jay B

Old October 20th 05, 07:23 AM
Scott Skylane

Jack Allison wrote:
Jay Honeck wrote:

Dang, you wouldn't think such a minor thing would be so hard to
change, but after saying it one way 5.6 zillion-billion times

Wow, that's a lot of takeoffs/landing...you must have a gazillion hours
logged by now...and you were saying I'm flying a lot lately? :-)

Maybe even a Brazilian!!!

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
Old October 20th 05, 07:39 AM
Jim Logajan

"Jay Beckman" wrote:
"Jack Allison" wrote in
message ...
Jay Honeck wrote:
Dang, you wouldn't think such a minor thing would be so hard to
change, but after saying it one way 5.6 zillion-billion times

Wow, that's a lot of takeoffs/landing...you must have a gazillion
hours logged by now...and you were saying I'm flying a lot lately?
:-)

Jack,

If I've told you once I've told you a billion times: DON'T EXAGERATE!!

;O)

There is a wonderful website where umpteen definitions of indeterminate
numbers are provided. The URL is:

http://www.incompetech.com/gallimaufry/numbers.html

Here are some examples:

"eleventeen
I'm not sure how large this number is, but I'm pretty sure it is
between 11 and 21 inclusive. Nominally used to mean any absurd use of
a specific number. e.g. "I had to enter a product activation code of
'A ampersand g g L P 7 eleventeen something...'"

umpteen
This number is relatively small (usually under 30). It is used in
conjunction with a specific task (or task iteration). e.g. "I told you
for the umpteenth time - 'No swimming with the sharks!'"

zillion
Any incomprehensibly large number. For a five-year-old $100 is about
equal to "a zillion dollars". For an average adult, this number is
certainly greater than 100,000... but it depends on context. e.g.
"That company charges zillions if you want them to consult."

bazillion
More than a zillion... possibly as small as 2 zillion.
(can also be spelled bizillion or bahzillion [rare].)"

(And so on - the web site has oodles more.)
Old October 20th 05, 10:52 AM
Steve Foley

There are a finite number of words, but an infinite number of numbers,
therefore one of the numbers MUST be named "bazillion"

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .
"Jay Beckman" wrote:
"Jack Allison" wrote in
message ...

Old October 20th 05, 02:00 PM
Stubby

Steve Foley wrote:
There are a finite number of words, but an infinite number of numbers,
therefore one of the numbers MUST be named "bazillion"

"Brazillion" is the number of illegal aliens working under-the-table in
the US.
Old October 20th 05, 02:21 PM
Doug

My 6 year old thought the guy in the tower is NAMED Roger :-) (Probably
has something to do with the fact thats what I told her). She has since
grown up not believing everything I tell her.

Old October 20th 05, 02:22 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Doug" wrote in message
oups.com...

My 6 year old thought the guy in the tower is NAMED Roger :-)

Some are.

Call Signs sid Naval Aviation 3 April 27th 04 09:38 PM
U.S. Navy will make port call in Vietnam Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 October 12th 03 08:03 PM