Almost mid-air video

Old May 7th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Almost mid-air video

Roy Smith skrev:
In article ,
Newps wrote:

And the approved area will never be at the airport, always away from it
unless it is for some kind of airshow type demonstration.

Around here, we have several airports where the jump area is right over the
airport. The jumpers land in the grass next to the runway.

Taking in mind that everybody is circling *around* the airport or being pretty
in line with runway on pretty low altitude that should not pose a problem?

No airplane is supposed to be ,,next to the runway'' or enywhere higher up
from that point, am I right?

Leonard
Old May 7th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Roy Smith wrote:

In article ,
Newps wrote:

And the approved area will never be at the airport, always away from it
unless it is for some kind of airshow type demonstration.

Around here, we have several airports where the jump area is right over the
airport. The jumpers land in the grass next to the runway.

I understand that, that happens all over the place. But have the FAA
come over to your jump club for a Wings type safety presentation and
have the nice FSDO person give you all the FAA reccomendations for jump
operations. They will always reccomend that the landing zone be a few
miles away from the airport, well outside the normal traffic patterns.
Old May 7th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jump areas are supposed to be approved, but hey, a lot of
jumpers break into buildings, climb bridges and otherwise
break the law.

Yes, and it would be a damn shame if that brazen lawlessness
of the sky skum would happen to rub off on the otherwise
saintly, god-like pilots who claim as much right to airport access
as the skydivers.

FWIW -- people who jump from fixed objects are base-jumpers.
They are facing their own struggle for access to sites that are
suitable for their lawful chosen sport.
Skydivers jump from aircraft.

Just like the general population there are people who follow
the law and there are lawbreakers. -- Oh!... except for pilots!

Old May 7th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Leonard Milcin Jr. wrote:

Roy Smith skrev:

In article ,
Newps wrote:

And the approved area will never be at the airport, always away from
it unless it is for some kind of airshow type demonstration.

Around here, we have several airports where the jump area is right
over the airport. The jumpers land in the grass next to the runway.

Taking in mind that everybody is circling *around* the airport or being
pretty
in line with runway on pretty low altitude that should not pose a problem?

Right, jumpers always hit their target, never come down under the downwind.

No airplane is supposed to be ,,next to the runway'' or enywhere higher up
from that point, am I right?

No, you're not. It is not uncommon and perfectly legal for say a Super
Cub to use the grass between the runway and taxiway to save wear and
tear on his tundra tires.
Old May 7th 06, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Newps wrote:

Roy Smith wrote:

In article ,
Newps wrote:

And the approved area will never be at the airport, always away from
it unless it is for some kind of airshow type demonstration.

Around here, we have several airports where the jump area is right
over the airport. The jumpers land in the grass next to the runway.

I understand that, that happens all over the place. But have the FAA
come over to your jump club for a Wings type safety presentation and
have the nice FSDO person give you all the FAA reccomendations for jump
operations. They will always reccomend that the landing zone be a few
miles away from the airport, well outside the normal traffic patterns.

I'm not a skydiver but know quite a few and have been to quite a few
drop zones. Everyone I've been to has been on the airport property. To
me it doesn't make sense to have the jumpers land several miles away and
then retrieve them and bring them back to the airplane. But it doesn't
make sense to me to jump out a perfectly good airplane either! So long
as everyone does what they're supposed to it can and does work.

And in fact every instance that I'm aware of, an off airport jump for a
demo is the one that requires FAA approval and I've always seen someone
from the FAA there.

Just my $.02 worth,
Chris
Old May 7th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Consider a skydiver descending at 30 ft/sec mph on a vertical collision
course with a 150 mph airplane. The skydiver will appear to the pilot
only 8 degrees above the horizon, which should be in a normal pilot's
scan.

All bets are off for free-fall skydivers though.

Old May 7th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

FWIW
This looks like a DH Chipmunk as used a while back
by University Air Squadrons in the UK and quite
possibly before that as RAF initial trainers but I am not sure.
Marking certainly look right for UAS machine but
I think that some still flying in civilian use are still painted
to look the part.

Pilot must have got a shock too.
Little black blob travelling straight down at 150mph turns
suddenly into floating thing very close by. Maybe though
the 'chutist was behind the pilot when the 'chute
opened?

The aeroplane is in the shot for about 4 secs before the
close encounter.

Old May 7th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"m" == muff muff528 writes:

m Looks like the jumper was in freefall until just before
m crossing the flight level of the a/c. You can see his left
m hand catch the riser as the canopy is deployed.

If the jumper had opened his canopy a fraction of a second later he
might have hit the plane. "Oh F***!" indeed.
Old May 7th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Chris Ehlbeck wrote:

I'm not a skydiver but know quite a few and have been to quite a few
drop zones. Everyone I've been to has been on the airport property.

The FAA will never tell you you can't jump into a certain place, other
than places like stadiums full of people. That's not thier job. The
fact that there's a jump zone depicted on a chart doesn't mean that it
necessarily was blessed by the FAA.

me it doesn't make sense to have the jumpers land several miles away and
then retrieve them and bring them back to the airplane. But it doesn't
make sense to me to jump out a perfectly good airplane either! So long
as everyone does what they're supposed to it can and does work.

It makes no sense from a safety standpoint to jump into an airport.
It's done because it is convenient.

And in fact every instance that I'm aware of, an off airport jump for a
demo is the one that requires FAA approval and I've always seen someone
from the FAA there.

That will be a waiver for jumping in to places like stadiums.
Old May 7th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 5/7/06 11:41 AM, in article , "Leonard Milcin
Jr." wrote:

Roy Smith skrev:
In article ,
Newps wrote:

And the approved area will never be at the airport, always away from it
unless it is for some kind of airshow type demonstration.

Around here, we have several airports where the jump area is right over the
airport. The jumpers land in the grass next to the runway.

Taking in mind that everybody is circling *around* the airport or being pretty
in line with runway on pretty low altitude that should not pose a problem?

No airplane is supposed to be ,,next to the runway'' or enywhere higher up
from that point, am I right?

Leonard

If I have to abort my landing because a plane took the runway without seeing
me on final approach, I will move to the right of the runway so I can keep
him in sight as I perform my go-around.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

Cartoons with a Touch of Magic