Rec.Aviation OSH report

Old August 1st 06, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan[_1_]

Default Rec.Aviation OSH report

Jim Burns wrote:
I just got off the phone with Jay Honeck. The group that had left KIOW this
morning arrived at OSH after several holds and an accident on 9/27. Rumors
are that a Cherokee pilot perished in an air to ground crash. No other
details.

For those that are going to the Rec.Aviation.*.* party Wednesday night, Jay
and Mary's parking/camping spot is # 558 in the North 40 on the NORTH side
of 9/27 on the departure end of 27 fairly close to Friar Tucks.

Good luck to all that are inbound to OSH and fly safe.

See you Wednesday

Jim Burns

I did not make OSH this year. Last year LSA and VLJ were high on the
list as well as inexpensive EFIS products. If one were to summarize
this year's OSH, what would you say?

Old August 1st 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
.Blueskies.

:
: For those that are going to the Rec.Aviation.*.* party Wednesday night, Jay
: and Mary's parking/camping spot is # 558 in the North 40 on the NORTH side
: of 9/27 on the departure end of 27 fairly close to Friar Tucks.
:
: Good luck to all that are inbound to OSH and fly safe.
:
: See you Wednesday
:
: Jim Burns
:
:
: I did not make OSH this year. Last year LSA and VLJ were high on the
: list as well as inexpensive EFIS products. If one were to summarize
: this year's OSH, what would you say?
:

Honda jet and Cessna...

Old August 1st 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Travis Marlatte wrote:
You could be up at 3000 feet there so it could have been gliding distance.
However, they were reportedly going into Gary so maybe they were staying
low.

I wouldn't want to end up in the water off Gary, even within swimming
distance.
Old August 1st 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Andrew Sarangan" said:
I did not make OSH this year. Last year LSA and VLJ were high on the
list as well as inexpensive EFIS products. If one were to summarize
this year's OSH, what would you say?

Where I was: LSA (esp Cessna), VLJ, F-22, XM-WX, Sean D. Tucker, heat and
lots and lots of walking.

The kit manufacturers were hard to find.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
I assume HR did send out the ad I wanted, not "apply for a cool job if
Old August 1st 06, 09:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 07:29:01 -0500, Emily
wrote:

Thomas Borchert wrote:
Paul,

The article says the passenger was able to stay afloat using a seat
cushion,

Crossing the lake without life jackets?

People do it all the time. I had students up there who thought there
was NOTHING wrong with being outside of gliding range from shore.
"What's the big deal? I can land in water and just swim back..."

Depends on your risk tolerance level.

Unfortunately, it's very hard to teach intelligence.

I know many who cross the lake single engine and do it regularly
myself and have for years. Life jackets are a necessity as I can't
swim but the lake is too cold for long survival even in summer.

OTOH if I cross even at 8000 between Ludington and MTW I'm always
within gliding distance. 10,000 gives me lots of decision time.

Some consider it foolhardy and I consider it just a days flying.

I've flown across when visibility was legal VFR but over the lake
that's pretty much elstinko. Last time I headed across like that I
had a "whole bunch" of planes lined up behind me. I think they were
using me for the horizon.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old August 1st 06, 09:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Blueskies.,

Honda jet and Cessna...

Cessan vaporware, that is.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 1st 06, 12:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Roger" wrote in message

I know many who cross the lake single engine and do it regularly
myself and have for years. Life jackets are a necessity as I can't
swim but the lake is too cold for long survival even in summer.

So you wear the life jacket so your body may be found?

Old August 1st 06, 12:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"Thomas Borchert" wrote:

Honda jet and Cessna...

Cessan vaporware, that is.

Two flying prototypes...vaporware?

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old August 1st 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

"Thomas Borchert" wrote:

Honda jet and Cessna...

Cessan vaporware, that is.

Two flying prototypes...vaporware?

Yeah, not what I would consider vaporware, either.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 1st 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Dan,

Two flying prototypes...vaporware?

Proof of concept, not prototypes.