A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Good Finish, John Farrington

Old March 10th 20, 12:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Papa[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Good Finish, John Farrington

I have been awaiting a post on the recent passing of John Farrington, pilot and then legendary crew, of Boston and Seminole Lake gliderport, Florida.

Florida is where I knew John, and heard some of the many stories that featured him. My own involved a retrieve of two outlandings in a pasture. Ray, the airfield eminence grise, and his wingmate Rolly, were deterred from landing on a database strip by the presence of cattle, so they put down without incident in a nearby pasture. Rolly stood guard over the two gliders, protecting them from the curious cattle that had gathered nearby, while Ray set off for a nearby farmhouse where he encountered the resident housewife. She allowed that it was not her land, but her husband's (no community property laws in Polk County?), but she phoned her son.

How to describe how badly he took it? Anger poured over the phone, and he declined to say whether he would attend to unlock the gate, repeating instead that those tow #%&*%@'s had no right to have invaded his land. Assurance that there had been no damage and that insurance coverage was in place did nothing to mollify him. And the Polk County Sheriff's office didn't have a Deputy available. So Ray called John, and John put together a team, including myself, setting off in his large truck with Miss Lillian, Ray's wife, driving Ray's car, the tow trailers in tow.

So John phones the Sheriff's office again, and this time explains that he has a bolt cutter (his master key) and a new padlock. He will cut the last link of the chain that is held locked by about 4 other padlocks, and replace it with his lock when we are finished, rendering the key to either the owner or an attending Deputy. The dispatcher told him that she couldn't gove permission for such an action. John advised her that he wasn't calling for permission, but rather to advise he of his intentions, it being now just a couple of hours until dark, and the gliders being surrounded by curious cattle held at a respectful distance only by Rolly, and that if the pilots left, the cattle would destroy the gliders and likely injure themselves.

So John *unlocked* the gate, and we both drove into the field and derigged the gliders. That's when both the Deputy and the owner's son arrived. The former was apoplectic, hopping from cowboy boot shod foot to foot. The Deputy commanded us to send out the pilots. So out Ray and Rolly went and were finger-printed and charge with breaking and entering. We, the crews, who had committed any such breaking, were left out of the Deputy's paperwork. John, however, had a fallback position: he said he would just blame it on the Canadian (Me!)

It seems that here in sunny Florida, there are laws prohibiting forcing open a locked gate, meant to deter rustling of oranges or cattle. The Deputy subsequently advised the DA that his charges had been ill-advised (the pilots were indeed not the guilty parties) and the charges were dropped. Seems John was a bit of a shade tree lawyer too.

I'll miss him indeed
Old March 10th 20, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Great story!

On 3/10/2020 6:12 AM, Charlie Papa wrote:
I have been awaiting a post on the recent passing of John Farrington, pilot and then legendary crew, of Boston and Seminole Lake gliderport, Florida.

Florida is where I knew John, and heard some of the many stories that featured him. My own involved a retrieve of two outlandings in a pasture. Ray, the airfield eminence grise, and his wingmate Rolly, were deterred from landing on a database strip by the presence of cattle, so they put down without incident in a nearby pasture. Rolly stood guard over the two gliders, protecting them from the curious cattle that had gathered nearby, while Ray set off for a nearby farmhouse where he encountered the resident housewife. She allowed that it was not her land, but her husband's (no community property laws in Polk County?), but she phoned her son.

How to describe how badly he took it? Anger poured over the phone, and he declined to say whether he would attend to unlock the gate, repeating instead that those tow #%&*%@'s had no right to have invaded his land. Assurance that there had been no damage and that insurance coverage was in place did nothing to mollify him. And the Polk County Sheriff's office didn't have a Deputy available. So Ray called John, and John put together a team, including myself, setting off in his large truck with Miss Lillian, Ray's wife, driving Ray's car, the tow trailers in tow.

So John phones the Sheriff's office again, and this time explains that he has a bolt cutter (his master key) and a new padlock. He will cut the last link of the chain that is held locked by about 4 other padlocks, and replace it with his lock when we are finished, rendering the key to either the owner or an attending Deputy. The dispatcher told him that she couldn't gove permission for such an action. John advised her that he wasn't calling for permission, but rather to advise he of his intentions, it being now just a couple of hours until dark, and the gliders being surrounded by curious cattle held at a respectful distance only by Rolly, and that if the pilots left, the cattle would destroy the gliders and likely injure themselves.

So John *unlocked* the gate, and we both drove into the field and derigged the gliders. That's when both the Deputy and the owner's son arrived. The former was apoplectic, hopping from cowboy boot shod foot to foot. The Deputy commanded us to send out the pilots. So out Ray and Rolly went and were finger-printed and charge with breaking and entering. We, the crews, who had committed any such breaking, were left out of the Deputy's paperwork. John, however, had a fallback position: he said he would just blame it on the Canadian (Me!)

It seems that here in sunny Florida, there are laws prohibiting forcing open a locked gate, meant to deter rustling of oranges or cattle. The Deputy subsequently advised the DA that his charges had been ill-advised (the pilots were indeed not the guilty parties) and the charges were dropped. Seems John was a bit of a shade tree lawyer too.

I'll miss him indeed

--
Dan, 5J
Old March 10th 20, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ray Lovinggood[_2_]
external usenet poster

Thanks for the story, Charlie Papa. I only met John Farrington a couple of times, but those short visits left me wanting to spend more time listening to him. I could tell he was a story-teller. And his rich New England accent was perfect for his stories.

Hearing your story that included John with my hero, Papa One, just made my day.

Blue skies and puffy, concave-bottomed cu's, John!

Ray Lovinggood
W8
Old March 10th 20, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, March 10, 2020 at 3:16:57 PM UTC-4, Ray Lovinggood wrote:
Thanks for the story, Charlie Papa. I only met John Farrington a couple of times, but those short visits left me wanting to spend more time listening to him. I could tell he was a story-teller. And his rich New England accent was perfect for his stories.

Hearing your story that included John with my hero, Papa One, just made my day.

Blue skies and puffy, concave-bottomed cu's, John!

Ray Lovinggood
W8

I met John a few times, P1 and I go back to the late 70's. At that time I was the young guy that bought his Std Cirrus. We kept in contact up until his passing. Ray always wanted to know how Eileen liked his old ASW24 that I bought from John. RIP John
Old March 11th 20, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, March 10, 2020 at 8:12:14 AM UTC-4, Charlie Papa wrote:
I have been awaiting a post on the recent passing of John Farrington...

We'll miss him, a friend from Boston and Seminole.
Perhaps you can tell the story about the alligator...
Good finish John.
Old March 13th 20, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Papa[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, 10 March 2020 08:12:14 UTC-4, Charlie Papa wrote:
I have been awaiting a post on the recent passing of John Farrington, pilot and then legendary crew, of Boston and Seminole Lake gliderport, Florida..

I'll miss him indeed

Thanks to Dave Springford, who sent me this link, here is the published obit for John: https://obituaries.eagletribune.com/...7JoMOWzHQi-eeA

It doesn't do him junstice...
Old March 13th 20, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

I didn't know John, but had heard of him. It is wonderful to honor a fellow human and pilot with the "good Finish" posts, as life is much like a Long XC flight, with the challenges, ups, downs, decision, and low points.

After having tuck both parents away forever, I can tell you if you what the correct obit, write it yourself! I already have, that is one narrative I want to control.

On Thursday, March 12, 2020 at 6:24:04 PM UTC-7, Charlie Papa wrote:
On Tuesday, 10 March 2020 08:12:14 UTC-4, Charlie Papa wrote:

Florida is where I knew John, and heard some of the many stories that featured him. My own involved a retrieve of two outlandings in a pasture. Ray, the airfield eminence grise, and his wingmate Rolly, were deterred from landing on a database strip by the presence of cattle, so they put down without incident in a nearby pasture. Rolly stood guard over the two gliders, protecting them from the curious cattle that had gathered nearby, while Ray set off for a nearby farmhouse where he encountered the resident housewife.. She allowed that it was not her land, but her husband's (no community property laws in Polk County?), but she phoned her son.

I'll miss him indeed

Thanks to Dave Springford, who sent me this link, here is the published obit for John: https://obituaries.eagletribune.com/...7JoMOWzHQi-eeA

It doesn't do him junstice...

Old March 13th 20, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

Leah and I stayed with John during the Sailplane Grand Prix at Seminole. I'm glad we got to know him.
Old March 14th 20, 10:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

John was a great guy
Old March 15th 20, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

John retreived me from my first two 500k attempts in FL. If I ever pull it off he will be with me.