VOR Station without Compass Rose

Old December 17th 10, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Hiro

Default VOR Station without Compass Rose

Hello,

Does anybody know where I could find more info. on a VOR station
without a Compass Rose around it? What I heard is that it is a VOR
station with the service volume of Terminal. Any FAA references would
be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old December 17th 10, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Hiro wrote:
Hello,

Does anybody know where I could find more info. on a VOR station
without a Compass Rose around it? What I heard is that it is a VOR
station with the service volume of Terminal. Any FAA references would
be appreciated.

Thanks.

There are 3 classes of VOR, Terminal (T), Low Altitude (L), and High
Altitude (H).

Ranges

25 nm 1,000 - 12,000 ft

40 nm 1,000 - 18,000 ft

10 nm 1,000 - 14,500 ft
100 nm 14,500 - 60,000 ft
130 nm 18,000 - 45,000 ft

A T VOR is usually (always?) on an airport and I've never seen one on a
chart that has a compass rose, which would be basically useless anyway
because of the limited range.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old December 17th 10, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Hiro wrote:

Does anybody know where I could find more info. on a VOR station
without a Compass Rose around it?

See the appropriate Airport/Facility Directory, available on line at
http://aeronav.faa.gov/afd.asp?cycle...end=01-13-2011

What VOR?

What I heard is that it is a VOR
station with the service volume of Terminal.

Maybe, maybe not. The primary determinant on whether to depict a compass
rose appears to be chart clutter.