Aircraft ownership in Ohio

Old August 23rd 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Aircraft ownership in Ohio

I am thinking about relocating from Illinois to Ohio with my plane.
Are there any suprises I need to be aware of like hidden taxes, state
fees, etc regarding aircraft ownership?

Bob

Old August 23rd 06, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
john smith

In article . com,
wrote:

I am thinking about relocating from Illinois to Ohio with my plane.
Are there any suprises I need to be aware of like hidden taxes, state
fees, etc regarding aircraft ownership?

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/aviation/

Aircraft

Attention Ohio Aircraft Owners:

Earlier this year the Ohio 126th General Assembly passed the FY
2006-2007 General Revenue Budget Bill. That legislation changed the
aircraft registration license tax. The annual aircraft registration
license tax is now $15 for gliders and balloons and $15 per seat for all
other aircraft based on the manufacturer's maximum listed seating
capacity. The tax is in lieu of all other taxes on or with respect to
ownership of aircraft.

The legislation directed that aircraft registration license taxes are to
be deposited in the newly created Airport Assistance Fund for airport
maintenance and capital improvements to publicly owned airports.

The calendar year 2006 aircraft registration license tax revenues are
expected to fund three or four paving and obstruction removal projects
at county airports in Ohio. For a list of ongoing airport improvements
as well as other information about aviation in Ohio, check out our
website at www.dot.state.oh.us/aviation.

Yours in Aviation,

James Bryant, Administrator

ODOT Office of Aviation

Ohio Aircraft Registration

If you own an aircraft that is based in Ohio, regardless of flying
condition, it must be registered with the Ohio Office of Aviation
annually. Aircraft registration forms can be obtained below or from
your local airport manager or by calling the Ohio Office of Aviation,
Aircraft Registration coordinator, Carol Johnson, at (614) 387-2354.

2006 Ohio Aircraft Registration - Registration Form and Instructions

Ohio Laws on Aeronautics - Ohio Revised Code (ORC 4561)
Old August 25th 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roy N5804F[_1_]

The Ohio state tax is $15 per aircraft seat per year, based on makers
published # of seats for your aircraft.
As far as I know there are no other taxes that apply to aircraft in Ohio.
Where would you be based ?

--
Roy
Piper Archer N5804F

ups.com...

Old August 30th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Guy Byars

There *IS* a state sales tax on your plane... roughly 6%. If you can
document you already paid it elsewhere, then you get a pass on that.

Guy

"Roy N5804F" wrote in message
nk.net...
The Ohio state tax is $15 per aircraft seat per year, based on makers
published # of seats for your aircraft.
As far as I know there are no other taxes that apply to aircraft in Ohio.
Where would you be based ?

--
Roy
Piper Archer N5804F
Beloit, North East OH

ups.com...

Old September 5th 06, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Where would you be based ?

I might be at KCGF (Cuyahoga County) or LNN (Lost Nation, Willoughby).
LNN has no space right now. Anyone know much about Concord Air Park?

Bob

Old September 5th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

TxSrv,
Thanks. I have not accepted the position up there yet. Last offewr
was good but not enough to cover the higher taxes and living cost. I
am supposed to hear something this week. Of course a home for my
Bonanza is a given. I am based at a great place now an a very
affordable hangar rent. NE ohio is quite a sticker shock, from every
aspect.

Bob

Concord Airpark is a quiet place, no services except for
self-serve fuel on the honor system.

Old September 6th 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
TxSrv

wrote:
TxSrv,
Thanks. I have not accepted the position up there yet. Last offer
was good but not enough to cover the higher taxes and living cost....
NE Ohio is quite a sticker shock, from every aspect.

Excuse me?? This is "the rust" belt up here, ya' know. Where
all is a Bonanza owner comin' from where there'll be sticker
shock, re COL other big midwest cities. Just kidding, but
there's other intangibles here. Freeways to get to work are
still reasonably uncongested, more so NE, E, and SE of Cleveland.
Fellow drivers are reasonably courteous, if not more so than
avg. Retail workers are rather friendly if you engage a little
bit. Schools are variable but good in the burbs. Crime rates
low; overall taxes avg for big metro areas.

As to flying, the sight of Lake Erie, post-frontal passage in
viz-20 partial clouds/sun is a sight for sore eyes no matter how
long you've been flying! But if you do IFR, and need the Bo for
"must trips," you learn how to evaluate WX forecasts to deal with
it. Have an out above and below.

If the concern is the costs/intangibles of hangaring one's
Bonanza, I do caution. Cuyahoga County (CGF) has long gone
really upscale with bizjets. Lost Nation (LNN) may/may not have
[affordable] community hangar space, but the FBO managing that
operation [my field in tie-down] I'd personally elect not. And
anybody who intends to fly hard IFR out of Concord Airpark needs
counseling. By whom, I really don't know, but a cool place
otherwise. The elderly lady who owns the place is still an
active CFI, an elected Concord Township Trustee, and she
effectively runs an aviation nonprofit, International Womens Air
& Space Museum at Cleveland downtown, KBKL. See
www.iwasm.org.

Just thought I'd pass along the nuances here at least of living,
working, raising family, flying, and basing one's Bonanza. ;-) Or
any plane, or any place in the US, for that matter. Best of luck.

Fred F.
Old September 6th 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
TxSrv

~^ beancounter ~^ wrote:
"self-serve fuel on the honor system"

whats that? and how does it work?

This is a very small field, though rather near the Big City.
Everybody based there -- plus any local friends of the airport
owner based elsewhere -- gets a key to the little FBO house. You
unlock the door, turn the pump on, gas your plane. Back in the
FBO, note the gallons you took in the log, turn pump off, lock
the door, and go fly. Given this woman's [apt owner]
respectable/potentially stern personality, I never heard of a
tale from her in 20 years the system didn't work. Just what's
wrong with Norman Rockwell's America and small airports, and
selected users thereof which is inconsistent? :-)

Fred F.