Build an RV of ???

Old September 1st 06, 06:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Montblack[_1_]

Default Build an RV of ???

("Dico" wrote)
This will be (as far as I understand) the first flying RV 10 in Canada.
(that was built here). As for the price... i think the owner will have
close to 250k CDN into it when complete.

10 months of "labor" since last November:
40 weeks x 40 hrs/week = 1,600 hrs
1,600 hrs x $100/hr (CND) = $160,000 CDN

Now $250k CND makes sense.

http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html
$250 CDN = $226 USD

Montblack

Old September 1st 06, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gig 601XL Builder

"William Snow" wrote in message
. ..
It sounds like it is more effort than I want to put in. I want to fly not
build.

How about buying one already built. Sounds risky to me.

This group knows the in's and outs' so advice is welcomed.. Thanks

Bill Snow

If you and your family aren't 100% behind the idea of building don't even
think about it. You will end with a bunch of aluminum and no airplane.

Just as buying any used airplane reaserch, research and research some more.
There are plenty of very good used RVs on the market. If possible get to
know the builder. I think your best bet would be to find one that is being
sold by a builder who has lots of photos of the construction and can walk
you through the process he went through. Another thing I'd look for is a
builder who is selling so he can build something that is better for what
ever reason. My logic is that there is probably nothing wrong with this
plane it just isn't fulfilling the mission or the builder just loves to
build.

Also, find a RV builder you trust and get him to help you look at all of the
planes you look at.

Old September 8th 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Charlie[_1_]

Jim Logajan wrote:
(Added rec.aviation.homebuilt to newsgroups header.)
Newps wrote:

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe wrote:

"William Snow" wrote in message
om...

I am considering building an RV-7A. I currently own an Arrow. I would
like to have an airplane that will cruise at about 200, with a 200 Hp
engine in order to keep the fuel burn numbers within reason. Is the
RV the way to go or am I missing something??
Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated and probably heeded.

William L. Snow, PE
CP, IA, ASEL

If your objective is to fly, find a used one for sale somewhere.

If you objective is to enjoy the process of building your own
airplane, then build one.

Your stated objectives are 200 mph, 200 hp - sounds to me like you
want to fly, not build.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

RV's are great if you don't need to carry anything other than a
toothbrush.

Even for the RV-10?

Unless the pilot and any passengers are morbidly obese, I'd think there
would be enough useful load to carry moderate amounts of luggage. While
I've been less than thrilled by the rather low useful loads of the other
RV's, they aren't that bad.

The -7 & -8 have very reasonable useful loads, as 2 seat a/c go. Full
fuel, 2 normal (not super-)sized adults, & ~100 lbs of baggage should
get you through at least a week of travel.

My wife & I are both a bit under the FAA 'standard'; we've camped for a
week at major flyins without over-grossing either the -4 or the folks
around us. (Includes clothes, tent, sleeping bags, softside cooler,
sandwich food & breakfast food for the week.)

Obviously, this can't be done if you throw anything that catches your
eye into the plane.

Charlie
flying -4, -7 in the oven