What Radio Should I Pick????

Old May 31st 08, 01:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default What Radio Should I Pick????

On May 30, 11:59*am, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
On May 30, 6:45*am, "Jay Honeck" wrote:

For the same price (about $1,300) I could get either

A McCoy MAC-1700 as a slide in replacement for the 170b
*-or-
An Icom 200 as an additional radio (with the flaky KX170b as backup).

Any recommendations?

Third option: MX-170B. * We've used this radio in two planes, and love it.
It's a "slide-out/slide-in" affair. *No muss, no fuss. *(Assuming your
wiring isn't the issue!)

I agree. I replaced my backup radio with an MX-170B and love it.
HOWEVER, most B's are no longer supported. If you call for support
they will just offer you the C. I'm ****ed off that they will not
support the B radio anymore but I do enjoy the product.

-Robert

Robert, contact Tom at Bevan Rabell (Google it) he still works on
"all" the MX series radio. There is no difference in a MX170B and C.
The straight MX170 (as you know) is a different animal.
Old May 31st 08, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave[_5_]

On May 30, 1:45*am, Charles Talleyrand wrote:
I have a KX-170 that's *sometimes* just not working right in my VFR
Cessna 150.
For the same price (about $1,300) I could get either

A McCoy MAC-1700 as a slide in replacement for the 170b
* -or-
An Icom 200 as an additional radio (with the flaky KX170b as backup).

Any recommendations?

-Charles Talleyrand

P.S. *I did look intowww.kx170.com. *But he does not give yellow tags
with his repair and chooses not to be certified, so I don't think I
can go that way.

There is a guy who advertises a flat-rate exchange for KX170s on eBay
for $199. He has a current listing - check it out (he is user
stainless004). I don't think he is the same as www.kx170.com, but
can't be sure (the link didn't work for me).

Like others have said, make sure you don't have a contact problem with
the mounting tray first. I would take the radio out and spray it's
connector and the receptacle in the tray with contact cleaner as a
first step (been there, done that).

Dave
Old May 31st 08, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Denny

The TKM MX-170B slide in replacement for KX-170 is hands down the
winner... I've got a pair and and they work like gangbusters...

denny
Old June 1st 08, 05:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave S

Charles Talleyrand wrote:
I have a KX-170 that's *sometimes* just not working right in my VFR
Cessna 150.
For the same price (about $1,300) I could get either

A McCoy MAC-1700 as a slide in replacement for the 170b
-or-
An Icom 200 as an additional radio (with the flaky KX170b as backup).

Any recommendations?

-Charles Talleyrand

P.S. I did look into www.kx170.com. But he does not give yellow tags
with his repair and chooses not to be certified, so I don't think I
can go that way.

Email me privately... ignore the spam blocker - I will get it within 24
hours anyways.

I've got a 170 sitting in the hangar thats unused and will remain
unused, and was going back on Ebay when i got around to it.

I've xmitted with it once with a bench and temp antenna.

I got it for less than 400, will let it go for same (I will get the
exact price). If you want it.

Also have a KY 196 sitting in there (essentially a flip flop 170 com
only no nav - uses the same harness/rack.

Are you ABSOLUTELY sure the problem is the radio, and not a loose wire
in the harness/rack? A slide in replacement will function intermittently
if the problem is the rack and not the box.

Dave
KEFD
Houston area, Texas
Old June 1st 08, 05:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave S

Dave S wrote:
Charles Talleyrand wrote:
[...]

I was mistaken...

the radios are..
King KX 175B Nav/Com 14V US $460.00
King KY 195B Dual Com TSO 14V US $255.00

Those were my costs on ebay several years ago before shipping. Will part
with for same price plus shipping of your choice. Stale yellow tags on
both. Have transmitted and rec'd with both (com only, havent checked
nav) on a bench with a mag mount antenna.

Sorry for the inaccuracy above in the original post. If you need a
guarantee, I can perhaps ask Jay, 601, Robert Gary or one of the other
long time regulars here to be an intermediary and hold a check until you
know it works for you.

Of course, this is simply replacing your old box with another old box,
rather than upgrading.

If you are upgrading, all I can say is the Icom is not a bad deal at
all... I'm not disappointed with their Ham gear at all, and havent heard
anything bad about their aviation gear.

Dave
Old June 2nd 08, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

That has got to be the most foolish reason I've ever heard for not getting a
radio repaired. If you want a new radio, just say you want a new radio.
The only thing a yellow tag is good for is a rather small and ineffective
fire starter.

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."

Old June 2nd 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Howard

Perhaps

But what are the regulatory/legal implications of say flying IFR with a
"repaired" but not yellow tagged Nav/Com?

Howard

Old June 3rd 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Howard wrote:
Perhaps

But what are the regulatory/legal implications of say flying IFR with a
"repaired" but not yellow tagged Nav/Com?

The installing mechanic is always the one who determines whether a radio
is airworthy or not. Always. A yellow tag literally means nothing.