About those anti-aviatoin newsgroups

Old August 17th 03, 03:07 PM
C J Campbell

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
| "C J Campbell" wrote in message
| rec.scouting.usa, for example, has been completely hijacked by
| heterophobes
|
| Heterophobes? Somehow, I doubt that. Sounds like a term made up by
| homophobes.

Heterophobe is intended to be a response to the defamatory and over-used
term homophobe. I doubt that there are any homophobes, but too many
activists use the term to describe anyone who is not a homosexual.

Old August 17th 03, 03:29 PM
Gary L. Drescher

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
I doubt that there are any homophobes, but too many
activists use the term to describe anyone who is not a homosexual.

What a ludicrous accusation. Please cite a single documented instance
anywhere of an activist using the term "homophobe" to describe "anyone who
is not a homosexual" (as opposed to describing those with an explicitly
anti-gay agenda--that is, an agenda that denies gay people a variety of
rights that are taken for granted by straight people).

Old August 17th 03, 04:15 PM
John Gaquin

"Gary L. Drescher" wrote in message news:FjM%

...Please cite a single documented instance
anywhere of an activist using the term "homophobe" to describe "anyone who
is not a homosexual"

I don't think you'll find any. The term "homophobe" has been usurped by
homosexual activists to refer to anyone who does not specifically support
the homosexual activist agenda; fear of homosexuals (which is what the word
means) has nothing to do with it. In similar fashion, the words "gay" and
"holocaust" have been pre-empted to apply to groups or events that have no
connection whatsoever with the meaning of the word in use.

...an explicitly
anti-gay agenda--that is, an agenda that denies gay people a variety of
rights that are taken for granted by straight people

No, an anti-homosexual agenda would be one that actively and aggressively
persecutes that group, which is not happening in any sort of general way.
Rights are not granted, they simply exist, and are enumerated by our
founding documents and subsequent laws. Homosexuals that are US citizens
have the same guaranteed rights as all citizens of the US. Privileges,
benefits, and other desirable sorts of positionings not guaranteed to anyone
may be earned, or granted, or withdrawn by governments, agencies, employers,
schools, clubs, or organizations, etc., based on that group's perception of
the greater good for the society as a whole. That is the debate currently
ongoing, a part of which I support. But, for God's sake, you serve no cause
well by *******izing the language and redefining terms to suit your purpose.

JG

Old August 17th 03, 04:56 PM
Gary L. Drescher

"John Gaquin" wrote in message

"Gary L. Drescher" wrote in message news:FjM%

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

I doubt that there are any homophobes, but too many
activists use the term to describe anyone who is not a homosexual.

...Please cite a single documented instance
anywhere of an activist using the term "homophobe" to describe "anyone

who
is not a homosexual"

I don't think you'll find any.

That was my point; thank you.

The term "homophobe" has been usurped by
homosexual activists to refer to anyone who does not specifically support
the homosexual activist agenda;

"Usurped"? The word was coined by gay activists; it had no prior usage to
usurp. (Yes, the term is used in reference to those who oppose an
equal-rights agenda, even if those opponents are not literally fearful.)

...an explicitly
anti-gay agenda--that is, an agenda that denies gay people a variety of
rights that are taken for granted by straight people

No, an anti-homosexual agenda would be one that actively and aggressively
persecutes that group, which is not happening in any sort of general way.

I see. So if blacks or Jews were excluded by law from marrying or from
serving openly in the military, that would not qualify as an anti-black or
anti-Jewish agenda, because it would not constitute an "active and
aggressive persecution" of those groups "in any general sort of way"?

Homosexuals that are US citizens
have the same guaranteed rights as all citizens of the US.
Privileges,
benefits, and other desirable sorts of positionings not guaranteed to

anyone...
That is the debate currently
ongoing, a part of which I support. But, for God's sake, you serve no

cause
well by *******izing the language and redefining terms to suit your

purpose.

I'm using the terms "rights" and "anti-" with regard to gays exactly as
those terms are used in reference to all other groups. I submit that you
are the one who is redefining the terms in unusual ways.

--Gary

Old August 17th 03, 09:14 PM
Robert Perkins

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 15:56:09 GMT, "Gary L. Drescher"
wrote:

The term "homophobe" has been usurped by
homosexual activists to refer to anyone who does not specifically support
the homosexual activist agenda;

"Usurped"? The word was coined by gay activists; it had no prior usage to
usurp.

Its original usage was to describe those people and groups who feared
a homosexual because of what he or she "is". The bitter hateful
criminals who murdered Matthew Shepard, for example, were "homophobes"
under that usage.

Today, however, (and I think this really began almost as soon as the
word was coined) one sees the label thrown out in order to stop
someone from taking a chance to reason about an issue involving
homosexuals, gay marriage, military service, or whatever happens to be
the issue of the day. No tolerance of that opposing viewpoint seems
acceptable among many gay activists, and among those people who agree
with them, all of whom would rather call you a "homophobe" than
respect the right you might have, for example, to assemble with
like-thinking people in a public place, to respect the right you might
have to *say* why you think a multimillenial and multicultural
institution should not be changed, or, most importantly, to actually
listen to your side of the issue.

It's happened to me once or twice, but thankfully not around here on
RAP. With a single unnamed exception I've only met reasonable people
here.

Rob, who thinks the "left-right" political division is a false and
damaging dichotomy
Old August 17th 03, 09:15 PM
Robert Perkins

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 11:07:21 -0700, "Peter Duniho"
wrote:

That's also just plain silly. I stand with Gary in his challenge to you.
Document a *single* use of the term "homophobe" to describe "anyone who is
not a homosexual" (i.e. all heterosexuals). It's never been used in such a
broad way.

I think he overstated the case. However, I once took an opportunity to
explain to a (verifiably heterosexual) coworker the details about a
"marriage protection act" under consideration at the Kentucky state
assembly and senate in 1997. (No need to get into it, it resembled
California's Knight Initiative, Prop. 22, I think it was)

I read the summary text of the bill, whereupon he said, "Homophobes!"
and turned away from the conversation.

Of course, no further conversation was possible, because he tossed out
the label describing all the people who might support that bill for
any reason. They were all simply sub-human to him.

That's not as broad a use of the term as C J said, but it is a
remarkably unfair and fallacious brush to use when discussing the
issue.

"Homophobe" and "Heterophobe" are both too easily used as labels of
hatred, as far as I am concerned.

Rob
Old August 17th 03, 09:18 PM
Cub Driver

There is a great article in the latest
New Yorker on the subject.

Yes, regretting that liberals don't have an equivalent of Rush
Limbaugh--rather forgetting that they've got Heinrich Hertzburg, whose
hate-filled diatribes about Bush occupy the leading article in Talk of
the Town most every week.

The funniest thing about lefties is that they truly believe they're
moderates. How many times have you read in the New Yorker or New York
Times about right-wing Republicans (answer: most every issue), and how
many times about left-wing Democrats (answer: never)?

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: www.danford.net/letters.htm#9

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old August 17th 03, 09:30 PM
Cub Driver

Actually, the suffix "phobe" has long been used to mean "hate" rather
than "fear".

Vide Anglophile for a lover of things British, and Anglophobe for one
who disdains them.

Or in the current political climate, Francophile and Francophobe.
(Oops! I almost typed Francophone, which is a chevaux of another
color.)

For pretty obvious reasons, the pejorative Homophobe isn't matched by
its logical opposite, Homophile.

But you're right: the word has been hijacked to suit a political or
social agenda. I immediately tune out anyone who uses "homophobe",
since it's a nonsense term anyhow. Homo of course means same, as in
homogenized or homonym; it has nothing to do with "man" as many seem
to assume--a matter of Greek derivation, not Latin. So Homophobe would
have to mean a fear or hatred of people just like oneself, just as
Homosexual means a sexual attraction to people of the same sex as
oneself.

End of English lesson. Regard it as thanks for all the flight lessons
I have received here.

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old August 17th 03, 09:59 PM
Gene Seibel

According to my dictionary, homophobe came into existence (ie: was
made up) in 1975. It literally means fear of homosexuality. Perhaps
it's an appropriate term for those showing hatred for gays, but I
never did understand the way it is usually applied to anyone who has
an opinion that's not 100% supportive of gays. It has always seemed to
me that the gay community would have less opposition if they
didn’t use that term so broadly. It’s quite interesting to
see the response to the combination heterophobe.
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html

We should be cautious about posting anything on these news groups. There is
no way of convincing the mentally ill that airplanes are not a threat to
them, so arguing with them is futile. At worst, somebody in these groups
could find out about the rec.aviation news groups. This is a serious matter.
rec.scouting.usa, for example, has been completely hijacked by heterophobes
and is virtually useless for discussing Scouting. We would not want that to
happen here.

Old August 17th 03, 10:40 PM
John Gaquin

"Gary L. Drescher" wrote in message news:tAN%

...if blacks or Jews were excluded by law from marrying or from
serving openly in the military,

Two entirely separate issues. If we awoke tomorrow morning and the entire
world population were Black, or the entire world population were Jewish,
lots of people would be "____________" (fill in your own response). But
ultimately, the world would carry on. If, on the other hand, we awoke
tomorrow morning and the entire world population were homosexual, in the
routine course of events the human race would cease to exist within one to
two centuries. Therein lies the crux of the issue that makes it such a
thorny one to debate. And the more difficult and crucial the issue of
debate, the more important it is that language be used accurately and
impartially, insofar as possible.

I'm using the terms "rights" and "anti-" with regard to gays exactly as
those terms are used in reference to all other groups. I submit that you
are the one who is redefining the terms in unusual ways.

I disagree. Rights are one thing, benefits another. Over the last thirty
years or so many groups have succeeded in turning certain government
benefits into perceived "rights", but the fact is that most people realize
what a base canard that really is. The "anti-" prefix is used by many
groups for a variety of purposes. It seems to be generally used by
homosexual activists to denote not only persons who are specifically opposed
to their agenda, but also persons who do not specifically support their
agenda. These are two very different positions, and it is a basic
innacuracy to characterize them this way. It is done, I believe,
intentionally. The language is the language, and twisting it to your
purposes does not change anything, or serve you well in the long run.

JG