Rutan hits 200k feet! Almost there!

Old May 13th 04, 09:30 PM
Thomas J. Paladino Jr.

Default Rutan hits 200k feet! Almost there!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4970837/

Exciting stuff!

Rutan's SpaceShipOne hit 200,000 feet today over their Mojave test site.

Won't be long now I guess.

Old May 13th 04, 11:10 PM
Casey Wilson

"Thomas J. Paladino Jr." wrote in message
.. .
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4970837/

Exciting stuff!

Rutan's SpaceShipOne hit 200,000 feet today over their Mojave test site.

Won't be long now I guess.

Only 120,000 more feet straight up and they've made the first
qualifying flight for the $10 million X-Prize. The rumor I heard was they
only put on half a load of propellant, today. My guess is they will go all
out within two weeks.

Old May 13th 04, 11:37 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Casey Wilson" wrote in message
. ..

Only 120,000 more feet straight up and they've made the first
qualifying flight for the $10 million X-Prize.

That would leave them about 8000 feet short of the requisite 100 km.

Old May 14th 04, 01:01 AM
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 13 May 2004 22:37:30 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote in Message-Id:
. net:

"Casey Wilson" wrote in message

Only 120,000 more feet straight up and they've made the first
qualifying flight for the $10 million X-Prize.

That would leave them about 8000 feet short of the requisite 100 km.

1 meter = 3.2808398 feet

Old May 14th 04, 01:22 AM
Casey Wilson

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Casey Wilson" wrote in message
. ..

Only 120,000 more feet straight up and they've made the first
qualifying flight for the $10 million X-Prize.

That would leave them about 8000 feet short of the requisite 100 km.

Nope, it would give them a 4,000 foot pad. Go back to sleep, McNicoll.

Old May 14th 04, 01:24 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Casey Wilson" said:
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
link.net...
"Casey Wilson" wrote in message
. ..

Only 120,000 more feet straight up and they've made the first
qualifying flight for the $10 million X-Prize.

That would leave them about 8000 feet short of the requisite 100 km.

Nope, it would give them a 4,000 foot pad. Go back to sleep, McNicoll.

Are you saying that 200,000 feet + 120,000 feet is more than 100 km, or
are you saying that they went above 200,000 feet? It's not clear to me,
and that's confusing because 100 km is 328083.99 feet.

$ units
500 units, 54 prefixes
You have: 100 km
You want: feet
* 328083.99
/ 3.048e-06
You have: ^D
$

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
I must go down to do C again, to the ANSI C and the vi
Old May 14th 04, 01:41 AM
alexy

(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

In a previous article, "Casey Wilson" said:
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
hlink.net...
"Casey Wilson" wrote in message
. ..

Only 120,000 more feet straight up and they've made the first
qualifying flight for the $10 million X-Prize.

That would leave them about 8000 feet short of the requisite 100 km.

Nope, it would give them a 4,000 foot pad. Go back to sleep, McNicoll.

Are you saying that 200,000 feet + 120,000 feet is more than 100 km, or
are you saying that they went above 200,000 feet? It's not clear to me,
and that's confusing because 100 km is 328083.99 feet.

I second that, and figured someone was being intentionally obtuse.
Reading the article, you find that they actually "passed 200,000
feet", specifically to 212,000. But apparently just saying that would
not be consistent with whatever little battle is going on here.

$ units
500 units, 54 prefixes
You have: 100 km
You want: feet
* 328083.99
/ 3.048e-06
You have: ^D
$

--
Alex
Old May 14th 04, 01:42 AM
Rusty Barton

On Thu, 13 May 2004 20:30:08 GMT, "Thomas J. Paladino Jr."
wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4970837/

Exciting stuff!

Rutan's SpaceShipOne hit 200,000 feet today over their Mojave test site.

Won't be long now I guess.

Here are some pictures of todays flight on the Scaled Composites
website:

http://www.scaled.com/projects/tiero...hotos_text.htm

Image of flight 13P boost from Chase aircraft video

http://www.scaled.com/projects/tiero...oost_alpha.jpg

Image of flight 13P boost from Edwards AFB ground radar facility

http://www.scaled.com/projects/tiero.../13p_boost.jpg

SpaceShipOne at apogee Note: RCS thruster firing on left wing.
Flight 13P

http://www.scaled.com/projects/tiero...p_rcs_tail.jpg

Image of transonic descent in feather configuration from Edwards AFG
ground radar facility Flight 13P

http://www.scaled.com/projects/tiero...3p_feather.jpg

SpaceShipOne re-entry - Flight 13P

http://www.scaled.com/projects/tiero...ather_tail.jpg