Ping, Jay Honeck

Old June 6th 04, 05:51 PM
Marty

Default Ping, Jay Honeck

Jay,
I was telling my wife of your Inn and she reminded me of the time we were at
Dodgeville, Wisconsin. There is one requirement to stop at the Alexis.....

a flat runway ;-)

Marty

Old June 6th 04, 06:55 PM
G. Burkhart

"Marty" wrote in message
There is one requirement to stop at the Alexis.....

a flat runway ;-)

Hey, it's Iowa, the whole state is a runway. ;-)

Old June 6th 04, 09:12 PM
EDR

In article EUIwc.10873$4S5.10674@attbi_s52, G. Burkhart
wrote:
Hey, it's Iowa, the whole state is a runway. ;-)

I used to think that until I drove across it one day.
Old June 6th 04, 10:17 PM
Bob Chilcoat

It still looks pretty flat to most people from inside cars. Try it on a
bicycle! Ain't flat atol.

--
Bob (RAGBRAI 17)

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America

Old June 6th 04, 10:22 PM
Jack Allison

Hmmm, flat is a relative term I suppose. But...speaking in terms of an
aviation sectional, Jay's neck of the woods is *all* green (ok, there are
two shades, big deal). Not nearly as colorful as the sectionals out here in
the West.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old June 6th 04, 11:57 PM
Jay Honeck

I was telling my wife of your Inn and she reminded me of the time we were
at
Dodgeville, Wisconsin. There is one requirement to stop at the Alexis.....
a flat runway ;-)

We've got THREE of them! :-)

And the pool is open...

Make it on July 25th, and beer, food, and music are FREE!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 8th 04, 03:03 AM
smackey

"Marty" wrote in message ...
Jay,
I was telling my wife of your Inn and she reminded me of the time we were at
Dodgeville, Wisconsin. There is one requirement to stop at the Alexis.....

a flat runway ;-)

Marty

Apparantly, there is some sort of measurement of "flatness."
Somewhere within the past year I have seen two articles both
describing a test of a pancake and the state of Kansas, using this
measurement technique. Turns out that Kansas actually is "flatter
than a pancake." As I recall, the measure of pure flatness is
1.000000; and the pancake came out at .99993, and Kansas came out at
..99996! Can't tell you about Iowa.
Old June 8th 04, 04:44 AM
Marty

"Marty" wrote in message
Jay,
I was telling my wife of your Inn and she reminded me of the time we were

at
Dodgeville, Wisconsin. There is one requirement to stop at the Alexis.....

a flat runway ;-)

Marty

Hey Guys/Gals,

Last time I flew into Dodgeville, it was the Don Q Inn (late 80s). I decided
to do a search and found the Don Q but they made no mention of the airport
or runway. Does anyone know if it (the runway) is closed or not?
I'm going to check on it tomorrow.

The joke (seems no one got it) of my original post was that the runway there
had a difference in altitude of around 80'(?) between thresholds. The
airport directory had a big warning about it. As a rule of thumb you landed
to the East (uphill) and took off to the West (downhill). I landed with a
mild tailwind and it took near full throttle to get (over the hump) to the
top. They had a large plane on static display and had a nice movie in the
motel lobby about getting it in there, it was a long wait for the right
conditions to land it there.
Another neat item, the motel and restaurant are connected by a tunnel with
some weird , if not bizarre things in it.

When I returned from the Don Q and told others in the airport cafe where I
had been, the response was, "and your still alive?", "no way, your plane
isn't bent", "didja' see the wrecked Cessnas at the bottom of the cliff?"
and so forth.
I found it quite pleasant. The take-off was into the West wind and I didn't
have to rotate much, the runway just, kinda went away....;-)
Completely unnerving my wife!
Marty

Old June 8th 04, 03:21 PM
Jay Honeck

Completely unnerving my wife!

Thanks for the clarification, Marty. (I figured there was a joke in there
*somewhere*...)

Being from Wisconsin, I've heard about the "Don Q." Back in the '60s, it
was apparently THE place to go.

Other Wisconsin "happening" places to go were "The Gobbler", and (of course)
the Playboy Club (which is now the Grand Geneva Resort).
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

AutoGas question.. Jay Honeck, Jim Weir.. others.. Dave S Owning 32 November 11th 04 10:04 PM
Ping Jay Honeck... Mighty Grape stuff.. Dave S Owning 6 September 16th 04 02:09 AM
PING Dudley on P-51's. ArtKramr Military Aviation 0 March 5th 04 08:42 PM
PING: Gordon Yeff Military Aviation 1 March 4th 04 03:18 AM
Ping Weiss the dumbass Tarver Engineering Military Aviation 4 February 27th 04 11:45 PM