Is this the death of GA

Old February 23rd 08, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Longworth[_1_]

Default Is this the death of GA

On Feb 23, 1:39*pm, Longworth wrote:
* *Have you tried thewww.100ll.comsite to find the cheapest avgas
price in your area? *Full service FBO at large airports typically
charges a lot more than self-serve pumps at smaller airports. For
example, I had just checked the site for avgas price at KBUF in
comparison to the little next door airport KBQR in Buffalo, NY. *KBUF
full service 100LL is $4.93 vs. $4.09 at KBQR.

I had just reread my posting and found a typo. KBUF's 100LL price
is $5.93 and not $4.93 which is almost $2 more/gal than KBQR. The
latter has been our half-way fuel stop before entering Canada's
airspace on our way to Michigan. We make the NY-MI trips several times
a year.
Buffalo Lanscater is a great little airport. We were usually there
during weekends when the FBO were not open but had ran into a number
of very friendly local pilots during our fuel/lunch breaks.

Hai Longworth
Old February 23rd 08, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Longworth[_1_]

On Feb 23, 2:32*pm, terry wrote:
what about feeding the kids every other day.... helps with the obestiy
epdiemic at the same time! :(

Terry,
When my kid was young, we always worried about her being
underweight, not eating enough. The pediatrician had to assure that
kids would eat whatever amount that they needed.
Even if my kid had munched all day, there was no way that she
would get fat eating whole grain foods, fruits and vegetables. The
empty calories in soft drinks and twinkies are the key ingredients of
obesity.
Back to the topic of aviation cost, I truly believe it that if
one is committed to flying, one would find a way to do it. People
don't keep track of their small expenses but they do add up. For
example, brewing your own coffee or heading to Dunkin Donut instead of
Starbuck can easily add up to at least one hour of flying a month.
Hai Longworth
Old February 23rd 08, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

It's true that aviation costs have increased, but the price of
everything has increased as the value of money changes over time
(always less value per unit)

Aviation has never been "cheap."

$5.00 2008 dollars equals 81 cents in 1967 dollars. ( http://www.westegg.com/inflation/)

So $25/ hour rental for an airplane in 1975 should be $104 in today's
dollars.

Which is about right.

When my father flew in the late 60s and early 70s, he paid $25/ hour
(wet) for a Cherokee 140 as a member of a club ($25/month dues).

He also bought a new 1969 Ford Galaxie 500 for $1900. (2 doors, 302
V-8, foam green with Landau vinyl roof -- sweet)

Of course he was proud to earn $200+/week.

Dan
Old February 23rd 08, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

" wrote in
:

It's true that aviation costs have increased, but the price of
everything has increased as the value of money changes over time
(always less value per unit)

Aviation has never been "cheap."

$5.00 2008 dollars equals 81 cents in 1967 dollars. (
http://www.westegg.com/inflation/)

So $25/ hour rental for an airplane in 1975 should be $104 in today's
dollars.

Which is about right.

When my father flew in the late 60s and early 70s, he paid $25/ hour
(wet) for a Cherokee 140 as a member of a club ($25/month dues).

Then he was paying over twice what he would have at an FBO.

In 1069 a Cessna 150 was 8-10 an hour and a cherokee was 12-15

Bertie
Old February 23rd 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

In 1069 a Cessna 150 was 8-10 an hour and a cherokee was 12-15

Wow... only three years after the battle of Hastings.
Old February 23rd 08, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

kontiki wrote in news:fI%vj.4819$7d1.1067
@news01.roc.ny:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

In 1069 a Cessna 150 was 8-10 an hour and a cherokee was 12-15

Wow... only three years after the battle of Hastings.

Ooops 1969
Old February 23rd 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Feb 23, 3:44 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
" wrote :

It's true that aviation costs have increased, but the price of
everything has increased as the value of money changes over time
(always less value per unit)

Aviation has never been "cheap."

$5.00 2008 dollars equals 81 cents in 1967 dollars. (
http://www.westegg.com/inflation/)

So $25/ hour rental for an airplane in 1975 should be $104 in today's
dollars.

Which is about right.

When my father flew in the late 60s and early 70s, he paid $25/ hour
(wet) for a Cherokee 140 as a member of a club ($25/month dues).

Then he was paying over twice what he would have at an FBO.

In 1069 a Cessna 150 was 8-10 an hour and a cherokee was 12-15

Bertie

True.

But, this was in Jersey (Caldwell) where everything is always far more
expensive for the dubious privilege of experiencing it in New Jersey.

Everybody hates New Jersey -- but somebody has to live there.

Dan
Old February 23rd 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 10:39:04 -0800 (PST), Longworth
wrote:

On Feb 23, 9:41*am, "
wrote:
I had an airplane that I had to sacrifice for graduate school 4 years
ago. Now finish and looking to get back in the game, I find local
avgas prices in my area range from over $6 to over $7!!! (Up from
$2.30).

Have you tried the www.100ll.com site to find the cheapest avgas
price in your area?

It sounds like he's buying gas at Westchester or Teterboro. G

Old February 23rd 08, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 20:44:05 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

In 1069 a Cessna 150 was 8-10 an hour and a cherokee was 12-15

How much would Caesar have paid to rent?
Old February 23rd 08, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

" wrote in
:

On Feb 23, 3:44 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
" wrote
innews:b73e40b0-849e-4e59-9b72-

m:

[...]

This was also in New Jersey... A cherokee wouldn't have hit 25 an hour
until the late seventies at least.

Bertie

Death? Ol Shy & Bashful Rotorcraft 10 July 9th 06 12:31 AM
The death of the A-65? Michael Horowitz Home Built 35 November 23rd 05 12:08 AM
death of GA in NY [email protected] Piloting 51 September 16th 05 11:36 PM