Ralph Jones

Old March 9th 09, 12:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Walter Kahn[_2_]

Default Ralph Jones

Very sadly Ralph Jones, one of the 'greats' of British Gliding died in
hospital early on Sunday morning. He was only 73 but had been unwell for
some time.

A funeral will take place at Hungerford Church next week, details to be
announced as soon as possible.

Ralph had been British Champion nine times, had represented Britain three
times in World Contests. Two of his sons have been World and British
Champions. The youngest son has also won a British Championship and will
compete in his first World Contest later this year.

Old March 20th 09, 12:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
The Real Doctor

On 9 Mar, 12:30, Walter Kahn wrote:
Very sadly Ralph Jones, one of the 'greats' of British Gliding died in
hospital early on Sunday morning.

A truly remarkable man. The first I heard of him was from a Lasham
pilot who owned a K6e and had the misfortune to break the canopy in a
field landing. As soon as she got home she rang Bob Reece (Rematic) to
buy a new one, only to find that he had none in stock and couldn't
make one for a considerable while. He /had/ had one in stock, but
Ralph Jones had bought it just an hour or so before.

So she rang Ralph - who had, of course, heard of the damage through
the Lasham grapevine. Delightfully and helpfully he offered to sell
her the one he had just bought, the only one available in Britain. At
a one hundred percent markup. Plus fitting charge, although she was
perfectly capable of fitting it herself.

The result - she was hundreds of pounds out of pocket and had to
curtail her gliding activity for a year as a result.

Ian
Old March 20th 09, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Purdie[_4_]

And your point is?

Ralph had a business to run. He wouldn't have bought the canopy on a
whim to inconvenence a pilot, he would have a glider to repair to make
money so he could fly. Your lady friend had a range of choices,
including going to the Scleicher agents or Mecaplex, but took the quick,
easy (and by your accounts expensive) route. And knowing Ralph, got a
quality repair.

For everyone who found Ralph 'difficult' you will find another who has
at times benefitted from his remarkable generosity to someone whom he
though had their heart in flying.

The massive attandance at last Tuesday's funeral says much more about
Ralph than the rather petty post below.

And I at least post under my own name.

Peter Purdie

Old March 20th 09, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Al Eddie[_3_]

Peter - thank you.

I've been mulling over this anonymous tripe all morning, trying to
formulate a balanced reply, and couldn't have put it better.

Business is business - simply that. Live with it..!

Al

Old March 20th 09, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Nicholas[_2_]

Another Ralph story.

A friend of mine was flying in a competition and damaged his glider.
Ralph said he could get it repaired overnight and having him flying again
next day.

At the workshop, my friend learned that Ralph had a duff radio in his
power aeroplane, and offered to try to fix it (he was a radio expert). It
took him about 5 minutes.

Next morning his glider was back at the comp. Ralph and/or his people had
worked overnight to repair it. When he asked for the bill, Ralph waived it
– saying “You fixed my radio, I fixed your glider.”

Chris N.

Old March 20th 09, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Z Goudie[_2_]

At 12:12 20 March 2009, The Real Doctor wrote:
A truly remarkable man.

You got that bit right.

Some 40 odd years ago as a youth in my first competition (in which Ralph
was flying) I managed to hole the wing of an Oly 460 with a rock in an out
landing.

Ralph had us take it to his workshop and it was back flying after only
missing a day for the price of a couple of pints.

Old March 20th 09, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gav Goudie[_2_]

Having worked out which Ian you are - I am disappointed to say
the least.

I attended Ralph’s funeral and it was a very sad occasion, but
being able to share our stories about a person who I respected
both as a pilot and a businessman makes me proud to have
known him. As Peter has pointed out the number of people also
there is testament to the respect we all had for him.

I was particularly impressed by his ability to find work as you so
well illustrated in your post. I had the opportunity to witness this
on several occasions, one time as a slightly stunned and
thankfully un-injured customer and also from the back of his
Robin as he surveyed a glider that had just modified itself with
some decorative fence posts.

You make your own luck in life, Ralph certainly did - do you?

GG

Old March 20th 09, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
The Real Doctor

On 20 Mar, 13:30, Peter Purdie wrote:
And your point is?

Ralph had a business to run. *He wouldn't have bought the canopy on a
whim to inconvenence a pilot,

No. He bought it to rip someone off.

Ian "Real Name" Johnston
Old March 20th 09, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
The Real Doctor

On 20 Mar, 16:45, Gav Goudie wrote:

You make your own luck in life, Ralph certainly did - do you?

I try not to make it by causing others bad luck.

Ian