Get Rid Of Warbirds At Oshkosh

Old July 31st 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

Default Get Rid Of Warbirds At Oshkosh

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
I like warbirds, an airshow without warbirds is like no
airshow at all.

I don't go to airshows that don't feature warbirds.

-c

Old July 31st 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

"Dan" wrote in message
ups.com...
I would support the elimination of the non-jet powered warbirds. Being
one of the (apparently) rare non-career GA pilots under 30, I certainly
can't relate to them at all.

Meanwhile, I can't relate to Lancairs, Cirrus, etc.

If there are no warbirds, the airshow doesn't get my money but if I see a
B-17 or a Spitfire beyond the fence, I'm there. Fascinating how people's
preferences vary so much.

-c

Old July 31st 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
RST,

Warbirds, you are not welcome at Oshkosh.

Great idea. GA is small enough to be threatened from all sides, so we
should definitely start the in-fighting and make it even smaller by
ourselves. Yep. Sounds great. For the airlines.

Who wants warbirds?! Warbirds aren't relevant anymore. Nobody cares
about warbirds. That's why everybody must go to Chino's Planes of Fame, the
Boeing Museum of Flight, the McMinnville Air Museum, Duxford, etc to look at
the Citations and Pipers parked over in the GA side...

It ain't a Lancaster or a Flying Fortress they want to see. It's the new
Cessna....

-c
(If I want to look at a bunch of people's private airplanes, I'll save my
money and hang out at the FBO.)

Old August 1st 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Thomas Borchert wrote:

Bob,

From this post and others, sounds like everyone would be better served
to keep stupid pilots from Oshkosh.

And it sounds like everyone posting is not part of that group gd&r.

Well, for sure and for certain, it can't be me, I've never been to OSH.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old August 1st 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article ,
"John Kunkel" wrote:

Looks like Pope Paul has been replaced by Lord jim.

That has potential!
Old August 1st 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
.Blueskies.

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message ...
:
: "Jim Macklin" wrote in message
: news:E1fzg.84679$ZW3.47978@dukeread04...
: I like warbirds, an airshow without warbirds is like no
: airshow at all.
:
: And the money for the fuel they receive comes from the Warbirds division not
: from the EAA as some believe.
:
:

Warbirds division of what? Who is paying for the gas?

Old August 1st 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Marc CYBW

Amen.

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
I'm prejudiced. Of course I'm prejudiced. In 5000+ flight hours, I've
never come as close to a midair as I did at Oshkosh 1999. Oshkosh Tower:
"BlueOnBlue Cessna, number three for runway 27. Ercoupe put it on the
numbers. Flight of three T6s, cross over runway 27, right downwind for
runway 27, caution the Cessna at the gravel pit."

(Warbird flight leader) "OK fellers, let's show them what a warbird
arrival is like."

The Cessna is looking, looking, and turns downwind. The copilot screams,
"Oh, my God " and the pilot turns hard left, only to see two wings perhaps
fifty feet below. Tower tells warbirds that they nearly had a midair with
a Cessna. Warbird flight leader, "Then tell tell the little b@$+@rd to
get out of our way."

I've about had it with the arrogant warbird *******s. The only reason that
there are warbirds at Oshkosh is that Pope Paul flew a warbird and wanted
to invite his cronies.

Pope Paul is out to pasture. Nobody else at Oshkosh gets gas money except
the warbirds. Guess where the gas money is coming from? Your inflated
entry ticket prices. You are paying for those stupid idiots to aggrandize
World War II, which damned few of us can relate to.

So this afternoon, one of the WWII warbird people who has more money than
good sense, and who never learned how to clear the taxiway in front of his
aircraft, killed one of our own. There has to be some sort of payback for
this sort of stupidity.

Warbirds, you are not welcome at Oshkosh.

Jim

Old August 1st 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
JJS

"David J. Zera" wrote in message news:btednWtfk51o4FPZnZ2dnUVZ_rSdnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
The T-6 were performing a missing man formation for the Memorial wall service that EAA does to remember the pilots
that have gone west....

Ps. just got back and boy am I burnt and tired.

Dave Zera
Co-Chair
Safety/ Flight line
AirVenture

David, You guys will probably catch a lot of flack over the Avenger - RV accident. I for one appreciate the job you
do every year. Please do not be too hard on yourselves.

Joe Schneider

Old August 1st 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Martin

Peter Duniho wrote:
"RST Engineering" wrote in message
[...]
Warbirds, you are not welcome at Oshkosh.

We've all got our pet peeves when it comes to other pilots. Around here,
where we don't see warbirds on a regular basis during daily flying, it's the
RV "squadron" who do high-speed, low passes down Lake Sammamish, or the
Mustang replica pilot who does his "overhead break" to a landing at the
airport, or any number of other pilots doing stupid pilot tricks.

How is an overhead break a "stupid pilot trick?"

Then again, maybe we should clarify some terms. My interpretation of
overhead break means entering an upwind over the runway, then flying a
tight pattern from there, usually involving a tight turn from upwind to
cross-/downwind. The rest of the approach is flown as normal. I've
been watching an F-15 squadron fly overhead breaks in SAV for a month.
Nothing looks unsafe about it. We fly the same kind of break when we
come back from some formation work. I do this as an alternative to a
straight-in landing, especially if there is other traffic. As long as
you announce what you're doing there shouldn't be a problem... unless
you consider formation flight or patterns smaller than a mile on a side
to be inherently dangerous.

Old August 1st 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

"RST Engineering" wrote in message

snip

Warbirds, you are not welcome at Oshkosh.

Jim

To me, the warbirds are very welcome, as is everyone else until all the
parking fills up. What happened yesterday was simple pilot error, and could
have been avoided by taking more preventative measures. One idea would be
to let groups of warbirds depart once an hour. If you fly a warbird and
have it fired up and ready to taxi at 0:10 before the hour, you get to
depart with the group of warbirds that leaves on the hour. Yep, it'll be an
inconvenience to some, but if everyone knows the procedures, it won't be the
nightmare of mixing the warbirds with the spam. As someone who flies an RV,
I don't like taxiing and departing with warbirds or jets. The warbirds leave
a fair amount of wake turbulence if you're following one, and have the nasty
combination of a big prop and poor visibility. Taxiing behind a jet (I got
stuck behind one for 20 minutes yesterday) is miserable. Even if you're 50
or 100 yards back, your airplane rocks back and forth due to the jet blast
and it smells like you've stuck your head inside a kerosene heater for the
entire time.

As far as obnoxious warbird flyers go, there are plenty of other people who
are just as obnoxious. A pet peeve of mine is the guys doing formation work
(frequently RV's, but I've seen it done in everything from ultralights on
up) who don't think twice about doing a 4 ship overhead break without much
regard for other aircraft in the pattern. The attitude seems to be similar
to the warbird guys - announce what you're going to do and expect everyone
else to adapt.

KB

Oshkosh Reflections Jay Honeck Home Built 54 August 16th 05 09:24 PM
Oshkosh Reflections Jay Honeck Owning 44 August 7th 05 02:31 PM
Oshkosh Reflections Jay Honeck Piloting 45 August 7th 05 02:31 PM
Oshkosh EAA Warbirds ??? Paul Restoration 0 July 11th 04 04:17 AM
How I got to Oshkosh (long) Doug Owning 2 August 18th 03 12:05 AM