Oshkosh Attendance

Old July 31st 06, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kyle Boatright

Default Oshkosh Attendance

wrote in message
oups.com...
I passed on the trip this year. I heard that attendance numbers were
way down. You guys that were there, what did you see?

Bob

An acquaintance of mine who I understand is the head of aircraft parking
operations indicated that this year's aircraft parking seemed to equal last
year's, and last year was huge... We had this conversation on Thursday, when
I ran into him in the Homebuilt Camping area...

KB

Old July 31st 06, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

I passed on the trip this year. I heard that attendance numbers were
way down. You guys that were there, what did you see?

I thought it was less consistent than last year. Sunday/Monday were
HUGE, with mob scenes everywhere. By Wednesday, though, people started
to leave, and -- unlike last year, when SpaceShipOne, Global Flyer, and
Glacier Girl provided long-term draws -- the place just continued to
empty out throughout the week.

By Friday, our area of the camping area (just north of the arrival end
of Rwy 9) was sparsely populated. By Saturday, it was a ghost town --
and the expected new weekend arrivals never materialized in numbers
strong enough to require "in-filling" out by us. (The areas by the
showers, on the South side of Rwy 9/27, did stay full all week.)

Now, of course, on the weekend is when the vast majority of the
DRIVE-IN crowd shows up, so the grounds were still VERY busy. But the
North 40 was quite peaceful by then -- which, quite frankly, I
thoroughly enjoyed. Fewer lines at the showers, never a wait for a
potty. Nice!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 31st 06, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Adams[_2_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote:

(The areas by the
showers, on the South side of Rwy 9/27, did stay full all week.)

Not really. We were in row 546, two rows west of the shower building (a great spot by the way), and
there was some open space beginning on Wednesday. By Thursday when we left, there was a lot of
open space. I don't know if anyone filled it in later in the week.

Mike
Old July 31st 06, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns[_1_]

That area filled in by Friday evening. Nick and I walked the length of the
N40 Friday afternoon and there were only a few spots open on the south side
of 9/27 and the area around the showers was completely full. A vast
contrast to the area on the west end of 9/27 which was nearly completely
open.
Jim

Old July 31st 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Granby

A couple of exhibitors I talked to said it had been slowly declining
the last few years, but that they thought it was up this year. YMMV.

Old August 1st 06, 06:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Montblack[_1_]

("Mike Granby" wrote)
A couple of exhibitors I talked to said it had been slowly declining the
last few years, but that they thought it was up this year. YMMV.

Tram "back-seater" said he thought this year's first weekend (+ Monday) had
more people traffic then last year's first weekend (+ Monday). Mid-week
...."much" less.

Montblack

Old August 1st 06, 12:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
JJS

"Montblack" wrote in message ...
("Mike Granby" wrote)
A couple of exhibitors I talked to said it had been slowly declining the
last few years, but that they thought it was up this year. YMMV.

Tram "back-seater" said he thought this year's first weekend (+ Monday) had more people traffic then last year's
first weekend (+ Monday). Mid-week ..."much" less.

Montblack

Hey Montblack did you find the parking boards I left by the porta-potties over by the Hilton?
Thanks for their use. They came in handy because I had to move the airplane by hand a couple of times to let some
Mooneys squeeze by. Our parking rows were too close together.

Joe Schneider
8437R

Old August 1st 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

I suspect some of the people who left at mid-week were getting nervous about
all of the weather rolling through. I sat under my wing several times
praying no micro-bursts or hail hit the field.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

("Mike Granby" wrote)

Old August 2nd 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dan Luke

"Mike Noel" wrote:

I suspect some of the people who left at mid-week were getting nervous
about all of the weather rolling through. I sat under my wing several
times praying no micro-bursts or hail hit the field.

Indeed.

One looked at my buddy on Wednesday morning convinced me that he had had all
the fun he could stand after being soaked two nights in a row and trying to
finish sleeping sitting in the airplane. He looked like a drowned cat.

Hated to miss the party, but it was the better part of mercy to take him
home. Naturally, the forecast rain for Wednesday failed to materialize.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old August 2nd 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
john smith

Hey Montblack did you find the parking boards I left by the porta-potties
over by the Hilton?
Thanks for their use. They came in handy because I had to move the airplane
by hand a couple of times to let some
Mooneys squeeze by. Our parking rows were too close together.

When I left Friday morning the were sitting in the back of the tiedown
rental gator. Two sets, one white, one unpainted. I brought my set home
for use next year.

You're Invited to the 4th Annual Rec.Aviation Oshkosh Party(s)! [email protected] Home Built 5 July 6th 06 10:04 PM
You're Invited to the 4th Annual Rec.Aviation Oshkosh Party(s)! Jay Honeck Piloting 0 June 27th 06 04:58 AM
Oshkosh Reflections Jay Honeck Home Built 54 August 16th 05 09:24 PM
Oshkosh Reflections Jay Honeck Owning 44 August 7th 05 02:31 PM
How I got to Oshkosh (long) Doug Owning 2 August 18th 03 12:05 AM