Leaf-Peeper Flights

Old September 29th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
flybabybuilder

Default Leaf-Peeper Flights

Up here in NE OH, the colors are just starting to come out. Peak's not
for a couple of weeks yet.

Jay Honeck wrote:
Dang, it got COLD fast and early this year. We (Mary, Montblack, and
I) flew to Janesville, WI today, and the outside air temperature was
just 19 degrees up at 8500 feet. Brrrrr....

We're *just* starting to see some coloration in the trees along the
Mississippi River -- our favorite leaf-peeper color flight. They
should be reaching peak colors earlier than normal this year, so we'll
have to plan another flight up that way soon.

We like the area around Prairie du Chein, WI for these flights. The
Wisconsin and Mississippi Rivers come together there, and the 500-foot
tree-covered bluffs really show the blazing reds and brilliant yellows,
when the sun is low in the sky.

Where's the BEST leaf peeping to be had in your neck of the woods?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 29th 06, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

Oh oh!

Global Cooling has started again ...

As signaled by the alarmingly low number of hurricanes that have hit
the U.S. this year...

;-)
--

That was my first clue as well. Now this...

;-)

Peter

Old September 29th 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay,
We had a scene flight on the UW MedFlight Augusta 109 yesterday am up
near Baraboo and we noticed on the way out that the trees are just
beginning to turn. It does seem early for this neck of the woods. I
took a closer look in my 172 last night (much more leisurely than the
helicopter...for obvious reasons) and the Baraboo bluffs seem to be
starting some nice color around Devil's Lake.

The birds are moving out too, time to keep our heads up and on a
swivel. Saw a gaggle of either herons or cranes just south of Baraboo
on the move.

This is also the time of year for corn mazes, if you look around this
part of Wisconsin some farms that are doing the farm tour/corn
maze/pumpkin patch thing are starting to get into their busy time.

There's a nice big dinosaur in a field south of Lake Wisconsin. I have
to go check out the other usual suspects to see what they have.

Ryan
N8452X
(and UW MedFlight)

Old September 29th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_1_]

The hawks are moving around here... we're seeing 2-3 every mile while
hauling crops into storage. Trees are about 10% turned here.
Jim

oups.com...

Old September 30th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JJS

snip

Where's the BEST leaf peeping to be had in your neck of the woods?
--
Jay Honeck

snip

What leaves? The 56 mph winds stripped the trees bare two weeksgo!

Joe Schneider

Old September 30th 06, 12:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

What leaves? The 56 mph winds stripped the trees bare two weeksgo!

Sounds like you need to plan a cross-country flight to Iowa, Joe!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 30th 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
randall g

Here in British Columbia we don't get a lot of fall colours, due to most
of the trees not being deciduous. Here are some pictures of south-west
BC in the fall:

http://www.telemark.net/randallg/pho...021013_merritt

randall g =%^) PPASEL+Night 1974 Cardinal RG
http://www.telemark.net/randallg
Lots of aerial photographs of British Columbia at:
http://www.telemark.net/randallg/photos.htm
Vancouver's famous Kat Kam: http://www.katkam.ca

Legality of a flight John Piloting 14 May 31st 06 12:22 AM
Leaf Peeper Pix Jay Honeck Piloting 18 October 12th 04 11:20 PM
Leaf Peeper Pix David Dyer-Bennet Piloting 1 October 17th 03 03:52 AM
Ownership and passengers Roger Long Owning 30 October 11th 03 02:00 PM