The Most Expensive Ironing Boards in the World...

Old October 6th 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
real_name

Default The Most Expensive Ironing Boards in the World...

In article .com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Hope your oil leak problem is finally resolved! Sounds like you're living
right, everything worked out well.

If that pesky, nagging, maddening, un-traceable little oil leak is
finally fixed, I will kiss Atlas' spinner right on the lips, and all
will be forgiven.

and post pictures of it on your gallery?
Old October 6th 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns[_1_]

Sounds like Coumbia, MO ranks right up there with Dalhart, TX for service
and accommodating people!

Great story, glad everything worked out well. The last time I was in
Columbia MO, I got spanked for walking across the ramp towards an exit
gate.... which was on the other side of the yellow line that designated the
Air National Guard base.

Does your oil cooler "hang" from one side with the opposite side free to
vibrate and rattle around in the wind? If so, you might want to talk to
your A&P about fashioning a support brace for the unsupported side. Next
time we get together, I'll show you what we have on ours.

Jim

Old October 6th 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
rps

Jay Honeck wrote:
As I drove out of the lot, feeling crappy about leaving our plane at a
strange FBO far from home, I thought to call Keith, our A&P and good
friend -- mostly for a shoulder to cry on. (But also to see what he
thought about the local shop's diagnosis.) So I gave him a jingle and
we chatted for a bit, when he dropped the bomb shell: "You know, I
think I may have one of those coolers here in the shop."

Dumbfounded, I couldn't help but ask incredulously, "Why?" Keith runs
a very small, part-time shop, and he rarely keeps parts in stock. He
CERTAINLY doesn't keep major stuff like oil coolers laying around --
especially not ones made specifically for a Lycoming O-540 B4B5 model
engine. Yet, inexplicably, miraculously, he had the perfect match
laying on a shelf? I simply couldn't believe it.

That's one heck of a lucky coincidence. By any chance, did your a&p
acquire the part after you visited him about the oil problem or an
annual? (Not that I'm a conspiracist, or anything...) Most people in
aviation are true gems, but one does run into questionable characters
from time to time.

Old October 6th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Newps

NW_Pilot wrote:

Hey, Jay go talk to your tax man see if the expenses of getting the stuff
including the repairs can be used as a business expense?

It's all a write off.
Old October 6th 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Doug[_1_]

The quickest repairs I've EVER had have been on the road. That would
have taken a week back at home base! I considered taking my airplane up
to Casper Wyoming and "breaking down" when I want something fixed
pronto, but never did it.

Old October 6th 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
David Lesher

Did you bring the old one back? If fixable, a spare never hurts...

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old October 7th 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Did you bring the old one back? If fixable, a spare never hurts...

Yep -- but my A&P wants it for the core value. That was part of the
price he charged for the new one.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 7th 06, 06:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
JJS

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message oups.com...
Hope your oil leak problem is finally resolved! Sounds like you're living
right, everything worked out well.

If that pesky, nagging, maddening, un-traceable little oil leak is
finally fixed, I will kiss Atlas' spinner right on the lips, and all
will be forgiven. I've wasted more hours trying to figure out where
that drip was coming from than you can imagine.

The oil cooler leaked right at a seam between two metal segments, which
made seeing the leak impossible without a mirror. And before it let go
enough to actually produce a series of active drips, it just looked
oily like everything else in that general area.

I'm just really, REALLY glad that it didn't "let go" more than it did.
Large parts of Missouri between Iowa City and Columbia are not great
for forced landings...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Hi Jay,
I had the same thing happen to me in 1999 on the way to Oshkosh. I noticed oil on the wing while in flight and
quickly looked at the oil pressure and temperature. We were very close to our first fuel stop so we landed as
planned and when I got out I found the same situation you described. Only a few quarts of oil remained in the
engine. Another cooler was rounded up from a nearby airport and we went on our merry way a few hours later. When I
got to Osh, I looked up the Pacific Oil Coolers, Inc. booth and talked to them about getting my old cooler repaired.
They cautioned me about the unknown origin of the installed oil cooler and suggested that since it was used, and if
it hadn't been cleaned thoroughly, it might have contained some congealed oil and debris from the aircraft from
whence it came. That gunk could be circulating in my engine. Needless to say, that concerned me. I checked up on
Pacific and found several good references. They had a good reputation. When I got home, I sent my leaking cooler to
them and they repaired, cleaned, and yellow tagged it. I pulled the other cooler and reinstalled the yellow tagged
unit.

If the cooler you installed was used and hadn't been cleaned, (and I don't mean flushed with solvent), then I
recommend you consider doing it.

Here's a link to their website and procedu

http://www.oilcoolers.com/howwell.htm

Joe Schneider
Cherokee 8437R

Old October 7th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

If the cooler you installed was used and hadn't been cleaned, (and I don't mean flushed with solvent), then I
recommend you consider doing it.

Thanks, Joe, but no worries. This was a yellow-tagged, overhauled oil
cooler that we installed.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 7th 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Do you write for Reader's Digest? Because I have read worse titles and worse
stories in that mag. I wd think they would be grateful to publish -
brilliant! Thanks

Thanks for the compliment. I haven't measured -- is my story about the
length of time it takes for a "morning constitutional"? (That *is*
the standard story length for Reader's Digest, BTW...)

That's also why the Digest is the size it is. It's designed to fit
perfectly on the toilet tank lid.

(And I'm a life-long subscriber, BTW... ;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA