Glider PPG license necessary for USA utility certificated motorglider?

Old November 12th 15, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Glider PPG license necessary for USA utility certificated motorglider?

Hi all, My question is, My husband is in the process of getting a standard AWC for his imported, into the US, Dimona H36 TMG. He applied to have it certificated as a glider (powered), but our FAA inspectors want to put Utility on the AWC because that's what's on the type certificate.
Does this mean that the pilot would not strictly require a PPG w/ self launch endorsement, but instead could do with an ordinary power pilot license PPL? We were assuming none of our friends could legally fly it with their PPLs, but if its certified utility like some of their own airplanes, why not?

Thanks if anyone can point me to the right reg or had experience with this,

Kristin
Old November 12th 15, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Standard Airworthiness Certificates are issued in several Categories:

https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/air_cer...on/std_awcert/

Regardless of the category, if the aircraft is certificated as a Glider, then the pilot must have a Glider Rating on their Airmans Certificate
Old November 12th 15, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cookie

http://www.risingup.com/fars/info/part23-3-FAR.shtml

See if the reg's above clear it up...

"Normal" "Utility" "Aerobatic"....

The Dimona is clearly a motorglider...It is in the utility category...which means it is able (approved) for certain maneuvers...

A private or better pilot certificate with a glider rating, and a self launch endorsement would be required to fly that aircraft legally.

Cookie

Utility has nothing to do with whether the aircraft is an airplane, glider, motor glider etc...

Old November 12th 15, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
IA DPE

Actually Utility is probably what you want.

In the powered world anyway, a Utility aircraft generally can do more maneuvers than a Normal one. IE, if your weight and CG are in the Utility envelope, you can do intentional spins vs. if in Normal envelope you can't.
Old November 12th 15, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cookie

Yes....Utility is another way of saying "semi-aerobatic"

Cookie

Old November 13th 15, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

Dimona H36 or Diamond HK36?

In either case, if the FAA Type Certificate Data Sheet calls it a Glider, then it will be certified as a glider, which determines what pilot certificate is required.
Normal or utility is just a range within the glider or airplane category.

Glider AWC, means glider pilot certificate required to fly as PIC, and with a self launch endorsement.

BillT

Old November 13th 15, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Sorry to belabor an abstruse point, the practical answer being PIC should have PPG-S/L (airmen to have rating appropriate to category and class), but it does seem like for the box on the aircraft airworthiness cert, utility and glider are mutually exclusive:

Aircraft Category. The term "category," as used with respect to the certification of aircraft, means a grouping of aircraft based on their intended use or operating limitations, for example, normal, utility, acrobatic, or primary. For purposes of this order, gliders and balloons will be referred to as categories rather than classifications.

I never have understood why Category and Class are defined different for airmen and aircraft....

Cheers Kristin

Old November 13th 15, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, November 13, 2015 at 4:46:55 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Sorry to belabor an abstruse point, the practical answer being PIC should have PPG-S/L (airmen to have rating appropriate to category and class), but it does seem like for the box on the aircraft airworthiness cert, utility and glider are mutually exclusive:

Aircraft Category. The term "category," as used with respect to the certification of aircraft, means a grouping of aircraft based on their intended use or operating limitations, for example, normal, utility, acrobatic, or primary. For purposes of this order, gliders and balloons will be referred to as categories rather than classifications.

I never have understood why Category and Class are defined different for airmen and aircraft....

Cheers Kristin

You are incorrect. It does not say airplane in that box for airplanes so why would it say glider for glider?
UH