Oshkosh Attendance

Old July 29th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Oshkosh Attendance

I passed on the trip this year. I heard that attendance numbers were
way down. You guys that were there, what did you see?

Bob

Old July 29th 06, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dan Luke

wrote:

I passed on the trip this year. I heard that attendance numbers were
way down. You guys that were there, what did you see?

Seemed down, to me, but I wouldn't call it *way* down.

Old July 30th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave Stadt

Looked normal to me. Every year the doomsdayers come out with stories about
how bad attendance was. Every year they are wrong.

oups.com...

Old July 30th 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
JJS

wrote in message oups.com...
I passed on the trip this year. I heard that attendance numbers were
way down. You guys that were there, what did you see?

Bob

I hadn't been since 1999. It was so crowded then that it wasn't near as enjoyable. Lot's of standing in lines back
then. I enjoyed this year more than I thought I would and that is mainly due to what I consider manageable crowds,
and reasonable pricing for food. It seemed to me that food prices hadn't risen since I was there last and there was
more to choose from. I didn't feel like I was getting gouged every time I turned around. I would hate to guess on
attendance since I left on Thursday, not sure how the week ended up. I can tell you one thing. The wife sure
enjoyed the Beach Boys! Where else can you watch America's band surrounded by P-51's, P-38's and such.

Joe Schneider
Cherokee 8437R

Old July 30th 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
David Lesher

Of more relevance:

OSHKOSH, Wis. -- Jack Gilbert flew up here Sunday from Louisiana,
parked his homemade plane with hundreds of others on a grass patch
not far from the runway, and set up his tent for the week. Gilbert,
57, a building contractor, was in heaven: sleeping in a tent next
to his plane, with thousands of other aviation buffs and their
assorted aircraft at one of the world's biggest air shows.

Like many others here, Gilbert is worried that he might one day
witness the death of such shows. Most of the others around him are
his age. Fewer young people are discovering the romance of flying.
Whether it's the high cost or the substantial training time, the
number of student pilots has fallen by more than half in 25 years.

A host is a host from coast to
Old July 30th 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

We got in on Sunday morning and left on Thursday morning. The general
aviation camping area near the departure end of 27 was full for the first
couple of days. By Wednesday most of the planes in that area had left.
Depending on which day you checked, the attendance could have looked
humongous or moderate.
--
Best Regards,
Mike 'al Koshi'

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

oups.com...

Old July 30th 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
john smith

In article . com,
" wrote:

The main reason I didn't take my fire breathing monster was I really
think the place is due for a very nasty storm and one good thunderstorm
with big hail will ruin 500 million bucks worth of nice toys in ten
minutes. Pray to god that never happens.

Sort of lowballing the loss, aren't you?
Old July 31st 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
.Blueskies.

"john smith" wrote in message
: In article . com,
: " wrote:
:
: The main reason I didn't take my fire breathing monster was I really
: think the place is due for a very nasty storm and one good thunderstorm
: with big hail will ruin 500 million bucks worth of nice toys in ten
: minutes. Pray to god that never happens.
:
: Sort of lowballing the loss, aren't you?

There were sort of nervous jokes about the insurance folks would disappear if one of those big storms that went through
popped off any hail...

The storm Tuesday night really was blowing and pouring - our new tent held fast and only leaked a little bit...

You're Invited to the 4th Annual Rec.Aviation Oshkosh Party(s)! [email protected] Home Built 5 July 6th 06 10:04 PM
You're Invited to the 4th Annual Rec.Aviation Oshkosh Party(s)! Jay Honeck Piloting 0 June 27th 06 04:58 AM
Oshkosh Reflections Jay Honeck Home Built 54 August 16th 05 09:24 PM
Oshkosh Reflections Jay Honeck Owning 44 August 7th 05 02:31 PM
How I got to Oshkosh (long) Doug Owning 2 August 18th 03 12:05 AM