Marking sheetmetal

Old September 16th 06, 10:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Michael Horowitz

Default Marking sheetmetal

I want to mark sheetmetal for bending.
Can't use a scribe because I'll weaken the metal.
Magic Marker is too thick.
Pencil doesn't show.
What do you use? - Mike
Old September 16th 06, 11:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Michael Horowitz" wrote in message
I want to mark sheetmetal for bending.
Can't use a scribe because I'll weaken the metal.
Magic Marker is too thick.
Pencil doesn't show.
What do you use? - Mike

Fine point gel (.5mm) Pentel ink pens.
--
Jim in NC

Old September 16th 06, 11:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Michael Horowitz" wrote in message
I want to mark sheetmetal for bending.
Can't use a scribe because I'll weaken the metal.
Magic Marker is too thick.
Pencil doesn't show.
What do you use? - Mike

Pencil is also not to be used because the graphite will combine chemically
with some types of sheet metal, and make it weak on the line. I don't
recall for sure which type, but I think aluminum.
--
Jim in NC

Old September 16th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
stol

Michael Horowitz wrote:
I want to mark sheetmetal for bending.
Can't use a scribe because I'll weaken the metal.
Magic Marker is too thick.
Pencil doesn't show.
What do you use? - Mike

Sharpies work great, come in several line widths and wipe off easy... I
used dozens while building the "beast" of mine..

Ben
www.haaspowerair.com

Old September 16th 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot

Michael Horowitz wrote:
I want to mark sheetmetal for bending.
Can't use a scribe because I'll weaken the metal.
Magic Marker is too thick.
Pencil doesn't show.
What do you use? - Mike

1st choice as scott says.
2nd choice, stick some tape on it and mark the tape. remove after
bending. btw leaving on the protective plastic sheet is just as
effective.
Old September 16th 06, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stache

Michael Horowitz wrote:
I want to mark sheetmetal for bending.
Can't use a scribe because I'll weaken the metal.
Magic Marker is too thick.
Pencil doesn't show.
What do you use? - Mike

From an old gray hair tin bender, use a #2 pencil it will show. To get

the proper bend allowance and set back lilne I use a #2 pencil some
will use a Graphite pencil, but it is very ligh. I would suggest
wiping the sheetmetal surface clean then the pencil will be more clear.

Stache

Old September 16th 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
flybynightkarmarepair

Michael Horowitz wrote:
I want to mark sheetmetal for bending.
Can't use a scribe because I'll weaken the metal.
Magic Marker is too thick.
Pencil doesn't show.
What do you use? - Mike

I use a fine point Sharpie, me, but I get annoyed when they dry out.
Before Sharpies, there were metal marking pencils, developed for just
this purpose, with non-corrosive pigments. You can still get them:

http://www.office1000.com/discount/pencils-marking.html

Old September 16th 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Michael Horowitz" wrote in message
I want to mark sheetmetal for bending.
Can't use a scribe because I'll weaken the metal.
Magic Marker is too thick.
Pencil doesn't show.
What do you use? - Mike

What type of metal are you bending?
--
Jim in NC

Old September 16th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

Depends entirely on what tolerance you are marking/cutting/bending to. I
want my students to be able to cut/bend to ten thousandths accurately and
the only way to do that is to scribe. THen again, we are only building
electronic chassis out of aruminum (5052H32) and we don't worry much about
it cracking under vibration.

When I build small airplane parts and have to hold that sort of tolerance,
I'll lay on a thin coat of machinist's bluing and scribe very carefully so
that I only cut the paint and not the aluminum itself.

Doing it on a wholesale level, I might be tempted to lay down a spray paint
of some sort in a dark color and scribe the paint, then wash the paint off
with solvent.

I've never used one, but I've seen professional tinbenders use a special
metal-marking pencil that does NOT corrode or otherwise weaken the surface
of the metal.

Jim