Confusing instructions from ATC.. looking for a concise response

Old March 30th 08, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Terence Wilson

Default Confusing instructions from ATC.. looking for a concise response

When a transmission is garbled I'm used to saying "say again", but I
was wondering what to say when a transmission comes through in the
clear, but doesn't make much sense (to me). This probably doesn't
happen very often to experienced pilots, but how would you advise a
student to respond? Should I simply say

"Cherokee 1234, don't understand"

Or is there an standard way of saying I don't have a clue what you're
talking about?

Thanks in advance.
Old March 30th 08, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bob Gardner

No, there is no standard way. Controllers are supposed to use the
phraseology dictated by the Air Traffic Control Handbook until it becomes
apparent that the pilot doesn't understand....then plain language takes
over. "I don't understand what you want me to do" is as good as anything.
You should definitely not take any action based on an instruction that you
do not fully understand. Don't worry about bugging the controllers...they're
used to it.

Bob Gardner
SAY AGAIN, PLEASE

Old March 30th 08, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
BillJ

Terence Wilson wrote:
When a transmission is garbled I'm used to saying "say again", but I
was wondering what to say when a transmission comes through in the
clear, but doesn't make much sense (to me). This probably doesn't
happen very often to experienced pilots, but how would you advise a
student to respond? Should I simply say

"Cherokee 1234, don't understand"

Or is there an standard way of saying I don't have a clue what you're
talking about?

Thanks in advance.

The single word 'unfamiliar' usually does it.
Old March 30th 08, 08:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
tscottme

"Terence Wilson" wrote in message
When a transmission is garbled I'm used to saying "say again", but I
was wondering what to say when a transmission comes through in the
clear, but doesn't make much sense (to me). This probably doesn't
happen very often to experienced pilots, but how would you advise a
student to respond? Should I simply say

"Cherokee 1234, don't understand"

Or is there an standard way of saying I don't have a clue what you're
talking about?

"Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over"
;-)
--

Scott

Who better to unite the political and racial divides of America than
a corrupt, racist radical?

Old March 30th 08, 10:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Hilton

Terence wrote:
When a transmission is garbled I'm used to saying "say again", but I
was wondering what to say when a transmission comes through in the
clear, but doesn't make much sense (to me). This probably doesn't
happen very often to experienced pilots, but how would you advise a
student to respond? Should I simply say

"Cherokee 1234, don't understand"

Or is there an standard way of saying I don't have a clue what you're
talking about?

"You want what???"

Seriously, just say "Say again for N12345"

Hilton

Old March 30th 08, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

On Mar 30, 4:27 am, "Hilton" wrote:

"You want what???"

Seriously, just say "Say again for N12345"

The controller will then likely just repeat the transmission. Not
very useful when you've heard it clearly but didn't understand the
meaning.

Old April 1st 08, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dane Spearing

In article ,
tscottme wrote:
Or is there an standard way of saying I don't have a clue what you're
talking about?

"Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over"

ROFLMOL. I'll be chuckling about that one for days.

-- Dane
Old April 1st 08, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Terence Wilson

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 15:14:41 +0000 (UTC),
(Dane Spearing) wrote:

"Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over"

ROFLMOL. I'll be chuckling about that one for days.

Thanks. I'll use that on my checkride.