Glider from Canada

Old April 29th 20, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Terry Pitts

Default Glider from Canada

All,

There is an L33 on Wings and Wheels that interests me. It is in Ottawa.

I'd like to have a mechanic look at it for me. Do you know of anyone in the Vermont, New Hampshire, or close part(s) of New York who you would recommend?

I know I'll need an export certificate of airworthiness. I know I'll need an annual. I know I'll need to get an N-number. I know I'll need to get the FAA or a DAR for an airworthiness certificate.

What I don't know:

Where do I get a certificate(?) for the factory trailer for the DOT?

What customs form(s) do I need?

The "I know..." items above came from searching RAS. I'm pretty sure I've previously seen the others, but now can't find them.

Advice is always welcome. Thanks!

Terry
Old April 29th 20, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 11:39:13 AM UTC-4, Terry Pitts wrote:
All,

There is an L33 on Wings and Wheels that interests me. It is in Ottawa.

I'd like to have a mechanic look at it for me. Do you know of anyone in the Vermont, New Hampshire, or close part(s) of New York who you would recommend?

I know I'll need an export certificate of airworthiness. I know I'll need an annual. I know I'll need to get an N-number. I know I'll need to get the FAA or a DAR for an airworthiness certificate.

What I don't know:

Where do I get a certificate(?) for the factory trailer for the DOT?

What customs form(s) do I need?

The "I know..." items above came from searching RAS. I'm pretty sure I've previously seen the others, but now can't find them.

Advice is always welcome. Thanks!

Terry

You will also need a letter of removal from registration. This has to be sent directly from Transport Canada to the FAA Aircraft Registry.
UH
Old April 30th 20, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The Airworthiness For Export is normally done by the seller in Canada. They certify it is, in fact Airworthy and that process also de-registeres the ship in Canada (C) number goes away..........Armed with this certificate and with your new N number proudly on display, you call for a US Airworthy Inspection where you will be issued a new US AW cert..........The inspection will probably be done by a DAR who charges for his inspection...... l paid $600 for the last one I had done. You also need to get the bird registered in the US by submitting bill of sale and AW for export cert to Oak City.
Hope this helps,
JJ Request your new N number, right away, this process alone can take a month or more!
Old April 30th 20, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

I've been involved in three glider imports from the US and one export back from Canada to the US – none required an Export CofA.

Any A&P crossing the border would be looking at mandatory quarantines both ways.

Check with your local A&P and FSDO to see what they want. Your local A&P may be able to recommend a Canadian AME to look at the glider.

I saw an L-33 written off because of an improperly latched canopy (easy to do). The pilot held the canopy down with the hand that normally operates the spoilers, sideslipped down and had to groundloop to avoid the barb wire fence.

Left rudder would have held the canopy down.
Old April 30th 20, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I got a Glider out of Canada without a cert of AW, also but it took 6 months to finally get everything straightened out. The US isn’t going to register the ship until It no longer is registered in another country. No import forms, but I would t be surprised if customs didn’t ask for your Cert of AW? No duty at this time, but there’s no telling what our “Extremely Stable Genius” May think of next!
JJ
Old May 1st 20, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Thursday, April 30, 2020 at 11:12:08 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I got a Glider out of Canada without a cert of AW, also but it took 6 months to finally get everything straightened out. The US isn’t going to register the ship until It no longer is registered in another country. No import forms, but I would t be surprised if customs didn’t ask for your Cert of AW? No duty at this time, but there’s no telling what our “Extremely Stable Genius” May think of next!
JJ

This may help you:
https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certifi...port_aircraft/

Also non-essential travel to Canada is prohibited, but shipment of goods is ok:
https://us-keepexploring.canada.trav...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Tom
Old May 19th 20, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hawkcrom

On Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 9:39:13 AM UTC-6, Terry Pitts wrote:
All,

There is an L33 on Wings and Wheels that interests me. It is in Ottawa.

I'd like to have a mechanic look at it for me. Do you know of anyone in the Vermont, New Hampshire, or close part(s) of New York who you would recommend?

I know I'll need an export certificate of airworthiness. I know I'll need an annual. I know I'll need to get an N-number. I know I'll need to get the FAA or a DAR for an airworthiness certificate.

What I don't know:

Where do I get a certificate(?) for the factory trailer for the DOT?

What customs form(s) do I need?

The "I know..." items above came from searching RAS. I'm pretty sure I've previously seen the others, but now can't find them.

Advice is always welcome. Thanks!

Terry

Great glider at that price buy it
Old May 19th 20, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Szikora

Just announced today that Canada US border closure for all but essential travel extended to June 21st.
Old May 21st 20, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
danlj

On Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 10:39:13 AM UTC-5, Terry Pitts wrote:
All,

There is an L33 in Ottawa.
I know I'll need an export certificate of airworthiness. I know I'll need an annual. I know I'll need to get an N-number. I know I'll need to get the FAA or a DAR for an airworthiness certificate.

Yes, you probably need an Export C of A.
What is actually required depends on your regional FSDO.
A few years ago, some of us bought a Lark from Montreal.
The seller said, "No, you don't really need an export C of A. We've sold several into New York without one."

But we were under the wing of the MPLS FSDO. They had not played this game before. Without the Export C of A, the glider had to be disassembled and reassembled under the watchful intermittent eye of the FSDO inspectors. After about 6 weeks, 5 folks from the FSDO traveled almost 100 miles to watch our guy demonstrate that all the control surfaces had exactly the prescribed range of motion, and other minute details. The glider was purchased in May and finally flew in September, if my memory serves.

As we all know, each FSDO is its own fiefdom, and we're better off, in general dotting the Is and crossing the Ts.