Piper Pawnee Rear View Mirrors

Old March 2nd 20, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
William Kautter

Default Piper Pawnee Rear View Mirrors

I'm looking for sources for rear view mirrors suitable for mounting on both the left and right exterior sides of a Piper Pawnee. Thanks for your help. Bill
Old March 2nd 20, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I've flown several tugs (Pawnee and Ag Wagon) with automotive mirrors
attached to the wing struts.

--
Dan, 5J
Old March 7th 20, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

Minor alteration just make sure they don’t fall off.
Old March 7th 20, 04:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

About two years ago we had a tow pilot fly through a set of powerlines at the end of the runway. Lots of bad stuff happened to cause it and many more bad things followed shortly afterwards. The only thing the FED seemed interested in was who had done the annual and where the paper work was for the mirror on the strut. I **** you not.

DT
Old March 7th 20, 07:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If that pawnee like ours was still flying under a restricted catagory you can tell the feds to take-a-hike. As a duster, and under restricted airworthiness we still have alot of latitude. We operate under much of the old CAA regs, meaning we can modify a hell of a lot as we see fit. I remember years ago getting a ramp check from some little Barney Fife type. Guy never recognized that the left door on the taylorcraft was completely different than the right one. Only thing he was worried about is my not having a compass card!
Dan
Old March 7th 20, 12:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

It was a -150 with a 180hp engine. I've never seen any use with those mirrors, you can't see anything in them you can trust. You're better off turning your head/body.
Old March 7th 20, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Monday, March 2, 2020 at 8:09:03 AM UTC-6, William Kautter wrote:
I'm looking for sources for rear view mirrors suitable for mounting on both the left and right exterior sides of a Piper Pawnee. Thanks for your help. Bill

Bill, our club has 2 Pawnees with mirrors mounted internally, attached to the curved "crash pad" above the instrument panel. One on each side, using RAM ball mounts (so "removable"). Mirrors are from a truck stop I think, about 8 by 5 inches square, with the RAM clamp bonded to the center of the back of the mirror (the RAM ball is attached to the panel). Inexpensive, easy to install, adjust, keep clean, excellent field of view, no vibration to speak of - best solution I've seen. PM me and I can get some pictures this weekend. kirk dot stant at gmail dot com.
Old March 7th 20, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I like Kirk's solution. Never been able to get my eyeballs in sync with external mirrors once the power comes up!
Old March 7th 20, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, March 2, 2020 at 9:09:03 AM UTC-5, William Kautter wrote:
I'm looking for sources for rear view mirrors suitable for mounting on both the left and right exterior sides of a Piper Pawnee. Thanks for your help. Bill

We purchased our last nice sized mirrors on Amazon.com for $9.99 each.
Old March 8th 20, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Anybody ever tried a backup camera?

Might have less vibration and more field of view.