Mentorship for Women

Old April 8th 20, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Mentorship for Women

Playing off the US success at the 2020 WWGC, our family is interested in partially sponsoring one or more mentorship activities to support the training of women glider pilots (for early phase, rusty, competitive, XC, aerobatic, demo flight, etc.). Unlike some other funding sources, the money would go to the mentor (male or female) to be spent without restriction (e.g., tow/rental fees, mentor/student expenses, subscriptions, books, software, WSPA travel, etc.). This will not be a lot of money, so very little effort is needed to apply or verify its’ execution (aka, “honor system”). We’ll commit a minimum of $1,200; and up to another $1,200 conditional on a similar $1 for $1 hand-shake match (potential total pool $3,600).

Why a Mentorship?: Many of us have benefited greatly in our lives from mentors who provided the right guidance, inspiration, advice and training to succeed. Many experienced pilots have been sharing dual-flights to assist in advanced training which seems to be paying off well.

Why Women Mentees?: The US Women’s team’s demonstrated performance at the recent WWGC. Kudos to all 3 on the team as well as their support personnel. This is akin to the US Women’s National Soccer team that helped expand a more competitive “futbal” presence. The men are playing catchup.

Why the $1,200 increments?: Approximately 93% of US tax filers will be receiving a COVID-19 stimulus payment up to $1,200 ($2,400 per couple) over the next few weeks/months (Applies to incomes of $75,000; couples $150,000). One can argue that a big chunk of its distribution is going to those not in the greatest need. Give it all to charity? Absolutely. But like others, my family also tries to support “extramural” activities which serve to enhance the quality of life.

How to Apply?: Submit a brief post here or PM us with your suggested need and amount desired. No documentation, personal information or verification is required. The selected grantee(s) gets a check; no expiration date to spend it. If the money ends up in a 501(c)(3), you get any income tax credit. This announcement will only be posted here on RAS.
Old April 8th 20, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Can I have a contact email please, I know someone that would love to talk more to you about this.

Thank you!
Old April 8th 20, 07:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

Done

On Tuesday, April 7, 2020 at 10:18:22 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Can I have a contact email please, I know someone that would love to talk more to you about this.

Collinshea

Old April 8th 20, 07:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Sent

Old May 24th 20, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

We are now pleased to announce that two "Wally and Muriel Leland Mentorships" have been awarded out of several good applications. While no matching contributions were obtained through the RAS posting, the Leland family has stepped forward to raise the total funding to $2,400. If enough interest is expressed, we may be able to make this a annual award to support the women's soaring movement. This year the mentorship is dedicated to Muriel Leland, a long-time certified glider pilot on her 90th birthday. As one of her daughter's related..."Dad was very adamant about mom learning to fly, he instructed many female pilots to fly sailplanes including Janie Oesch, another '99 and Ruth Wild at the Black Forest Glider Port. When we went to the gliderport we ice skated on ]the river by Mark and Ruth Wilds land.. [This brings] back so many memories
https://www.ninety-nines.org/pdf/new...ine/196802.pdf page 17 of 40. Muriel Leland reporter, Pikes Peak Chapter"

Wally Leland (Lt. Col, ret) was a co-founder of the USAF Academy's Soaring Program in 1961 and served as mentor to several youth student pilots, both male and female. He passed away shortly after his 90th birthday last year.

Mike for the Phlyingals

Women in the Observer Corps on duty, recording all planes that fly over their area - Women in the Observer Corps on duty.jpg Miloch Aviation Photos 0 August 7th 18 03:12 AM
XC Mentorship Events noel.wade Soaring 5 July 22nd 14 07:50 PM
The Women, pt 2 - Etihad - women pilots.jpg (1/1) Mitchell Holman[_4_] Aviation Photos 2 April 19th 10 02:05 PM
AOPA Mentorship program (from student) GEG General Aviation 2 March 11th 05 04:56 AM