OT-Sorta Garmin 296 Auto Nav Kit

Old July 25th 06, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Terry

Default OT-Sorta Garmin 296 Auto Nav Kit

I've used my Garmin 296 in the airplane for several years now and
love it.
In the Automotive Mode, it will show major interstate highways
etc but want
more detail in the major cities. I would like to buy the "Auto
Navigation Kit"
from Garmin that contains the 128mb data card, City Navigator CD
etc and
install it in my Garmin 296 but I am somewhat concerned that it
may cause
problems with the entire unit or in the aviation mode.

It's a great unit and I use it a great deal but if I can get even
more use out of
it in the car I'd like to do so. With my vacation soon, rental
car and strange
cities I think it would be nice to have.

Anybody else done this with their Garmin 296...added the Auto Nav
Kit?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Be Careful out there...Fly Safe, Fly Smart!

Thank You

Terry
N6401F

Old July 26th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jonathan Goodish

In article . net,
"Terry" wrote:
I've used my Garmin 296 in the airplane for several years now and
love it.
In the Automotive Mode, it will show major interstate highways
etc but want
more detail in the major cities. I would like to buy the "Auto
Navigation Kit"
from Garmin that contains the 128mb data card, City Navigator CD
etc and
install it in my Garmin 296 but I am somewhat concerned that it
may cause
problems with the entire unit or in the aviation mode.

I have a 396 and the Auto Navigation Kit. It works very well, and does
not interfere with the aviation capabilities. I leave the 128MB data
card in the unit all the time, and it is only used when in automotive
mode.

A small side benefit to the City Select maps is that they will show many
airport surface diagrams if you switch to auto mode and then zoom in.
The taxiway layouts aren't labeled, but at least it will show you where
you're at on the airport surface.

JKG
Old July 27th 06, 05:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
John_F

I have the auto kit with my 296 and I like it. The memory is not big
enough to include more than about one state of detailed maps. The
hiway basemap includes the major roads even without the added memory.
The auto map tends to route you thorough some odd ways sometimes while
you could just stay on the interstate. Make sure you get a late
version of the operating system as the early versions crashed if you
went though 40 MPH to many times. The auto kit includes a bitching
Betty that will tell you where you can go!
John

Old August 2nd 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kobra[_1_]

I've used the 296 in auto mode with the auto kit and now have the 396 with
auto kit. It is FANTASTIC in auto mode. I have an auto gps in my car and
the 396 is better than the stand alone car gps. Get the biggest memory card
that you can afford and sell the 128 card on eBay. I think I have the 256mb
and I can get most of the east coast on there. You don't want to have to
load maps everytime you fly someplace away from home.

It is very practical. I fly somewhere remote and pop the 396 off the yoke
and plop it on the dash and have turn-by-turn directions to the hotel,
restaurant or whatever or where ever I am going. Saves time, gas and
frustration.

The auto kit has never interfered with the aviation mode, so don't worry
there. Look on eBay. There's always a deal there.

Kobra

ink.net...

Garmin 396 Auto Kit Mike Spera Owning 3 July 13th 06 11:38 PM
Garmin GpsMap 396 - Flight Test #2 Mike Spera Owning 17 July 9th 06 01:21 PM
Amateur Review of the Garmin GPSMAP 296 GPS Rhett Piloting 10 March 23rd 05 01:16 AM
Pirep: Garmin GPSMAP 296 versus 295. (very long) Jon Woellhaf Piloting 12 September 4th 04 11:55 PM
Amateur Review of the Garmin GPSMAP 296 GPS Rhett Products 10 April 29th 04 06:57 AM