Towpilot Experience

Old August 21st 06, 12:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Slick

Default Towpilot Experience

We just read into the regs a bit deeper. I was always under the impression
you had to have 100 hours in category and class and if it was a tail wheel
you had to have 1000 hours in that. I actually read the reg and it looks as
though it's only 100 hours of category and class. So I know if the regs
aren't holding us to 100 hours in a tail wheel then the insurance must be, I
assume. How would the insurance work out on the club gliders if the towpilot
wasn't covered under the club insurance policy, but rather carried non-owned
insurance? Would there be a problem if the pilot was towing gliders, since
most people that carry their own insurance are only flying planes, not
towing them as well?

Old August 21st 06, 12:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mal[_1_]

"Slick" wrote in message
We just read into the regs a bit deeper. I was always under the impression
you had to have 100 hours in category and class and if it was a tail wheel
you had to have 1000 hours in that. I actually read the reg and it looks
as
though it's only 100 hours of category and class. So I know if the regs
aren't holding us to 100 hours in a tail wheel then the insurance must be,
assume. How would the insurance work out on the club gliders if the
towpilot
wasn't covered under the club insurance policy, but rather carried
non-owned
insurance? Would there be a problem if the pilot was towing gliders, since
most people that carry their own insurance are only flying planes, not
towing them as well?

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

In Australia it is 100 hours minimum and tail dragger endorsement they also
like you to have some time in a high power tail dragger.

I think below 100 hours most people would be too green they also like you to
have some experience at the glider end.

Doing my multi engine at the moment then doing my towing endorsement.

Old August 21st 06, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Slick wrote:
We just read into the regs a bit deeper. I was always under the impression
you had to have 100 hours in category and class and if it was a tail wheel
you had to have 1000 hours in that. I actually read the reg and it looks as
though it's only 100 hours of category and class. So I know if the regs
aren't holding us to 100 hours in a tail wheel then the insurance must be, I
assume. How would the insurance work out on the club gliders if the towpilot
wasn't covered under the club insurance policy, but rather carried non-owned
insurance? Would there be a problem if the pilot was towing gliders, since
most people that carry their own insurance are only flying planes, not
towing them as well?

Reply:
Requirements are pretty much dictated by the insurance company. They
are the ones backing the risk so they set requirements to manage that
risk. Typical policy requires 500 in airplanes, 100 in conventional
gear to tow without specific endorsement. SSA program will insure at
lower levels after review of pilot experience and at a reasonable added
premium.
Contact Sue Fasset at Costello and she can help you understand this
stuff. She is a big help.
Good Luck UH

Old August 21st 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stefan

Slick wrote:

We just read into the regs a bit deeper. I was always under the impression
you had to have 100 hours in category and class and if it was a tail wheel

There are no such requirements where I fly. Maybe it would be helpful if
you wrote in which part of the world you fly.

Stefan

Old August 22nd 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BTIZ

Slick.. the FARs are far less stringent than the insurance companies.

61.69 requires at least a private pilot with 100hrs PIC in category and
class, that means airplane, single engine, land, does not care about tail
wheel. Remember, it's Pilot In Command time.. all that time as "dual
received" for the private airplane rating does not count.

SSA Group insurance "has not in the past", things can change, allowed a
named pilot with private rating and less than 200hrs PIC, current tail wheel
endorsement and recent of experience in tail wheel. The open pilot policy is
more like 500hrs PIC WITH 100hrs tail wheel AND 10hrs in specific make and
model. We use a Piper Pawnee, most people do not have Pawnee time, so every
new tow pilot we bring on has to be named on the policy and complete our
training syllabus to tow. Until they have 10hrs Pawnee and 100hrs tail wheel
and 500hrs total PIC.

SSA Group Insurance "has not in the past", allowed tow for hire "commercial
operation" unless the tow pilot is commercially rated in Airplane, Single
Engine Land. (category and class). We do not carry "tow for hire insurance",
we do not operate a commercial tow service, so we can operate with private
ASEL pilots who meet the named pilot or open pilot policy requirements.

Now, as to your question about "How would the insurance work out on the club
gliders if the tow pilot
wasn't covered under the club insurance policy, but rather carried non-owned
insurance?"

I am not an insurance rep, but I do believe that there would be NO INSURANCE
COVERAGE if a mishap occurred during tow on either the glider or the tow
plane in this example. That also means that your glider pilots are not
insured under the liability clause.

Remember, "non-owned" insurance only covers up to the limits of their
policy, if the "damage is caused by the fault of the pilot". So.. if the
glider causes a problem, that causes loss of control to the tow plane, it is
not the tow pilots fault, no "non-owned" coverage. If the engine swallows a
valve, and causes an off airport landing with resulting damage, that is not
the pilot's fault, unless he failed to check the oil, and there would be no
"non-owned" coverage.

I'd have to check on the next part, "Would there be a problem if the pilot
was towing gliders, since
most people that carry their own insurance are only flying planes, not
towing them as well". I carry "non-owned" coverage for my personal flying in
other peoples gliders and powered aircraft. I am fully covered for towing
operations in the club tow plane under the club policy and do not need to
use my "non-owned" coverage for that.

BT