WX

Old April 24th 05, 04:07 PM
Roy Smith

Default WX

In article ,
wrote:

Anybody know what the weather conditions were around HPN on Saturday?

http://www.uswx.com/us/stn/?code=c&n=200&stn=KHPN
Old April 24th 05, 04:26 PM
Peter R.

Anybody know what the weather conditions were around HPN on Saturday?

Wondering about the C172 crash? What time of day did it occur? White
Plains had some pretty low visibility that day from a persistent low
pressure that is still entrenched in the region.

--
Peter

Old April 24th 05, 06:02 PM
Judah

"Peter R." wrote in news:n1dlcqrp98v$.dlg@ID-
259643.user.individual.net:

wrote:

Anybody know what the weather conditions were around HPN on Saturday?

Wondering about the C172 crash? What time of day did it occur? White
Plains had some pretty low visibility that day from a persistent low
pressure that is still entrenched in the region.

The crash evidently happened shortly after 3pm EST (1900Z).

METAR KHPN 231756Z 18013G19KT 1/8SM FG OVC002 12/12 A2952 RMK AO2 SLP996
60014 T01220122 10128 20100 56012
METAR KHPN 231856Z 19012G16KT 1/2SM FG OVC002 12/12 A2951 RMK AO2 SLP993
T01220122

Kinda elucidates the value of personal minimums...

Condolences to the families of the two people who were lost.
Old April 24th 05, 11:58 PM
Andrew Gideon

Peter R. wrote:

WhatÂ*timeÂ*ofÂ*dayÂ*didÂ*itÂ*occur?

As someone else posted, you can watch it at:

http://www4.passur.com/hpn.html

The aircraft which I assume is it - N61AF - appears at about 15:14 on the
23rd. Watching is somewhat spooky.

Someone else flew the approach at 15:10, which may be useful for comparison
purposes.

- Andrew

Old April 25th 05, 04:55 PM

Judah wrote:

Kinda elucidates the value of personal minimums...

Assuming there were a sutable alternate airport and the C172 contained
adequate fuel, I view this weather as excellent conditions for
training, since a real missed approach seems to be a rarity for those
of us who are not professionals.

It will be interesting to read what the investigators find.

--
Peter

Old April 25th 05, 07:43 PM
Maule Driver

I like practicing in actual but I'd stay away from that weather.
- 1/8SM and 200 in fog with 12/12 says to me that it could go zero/zero
in a sec. I can practice misses under the hood.
- Combined with 12G18 or whatever says to me that a cell has just
entered the picture because you rarely get 12Ganything with fog...

Not arguing here - just reacting. At this point and skill level, I
don't practice actual to mins - I save that for the hood and for real
live mistakes.

Gotta think more about that.

Old April 25th 05, 07:43 PM
Maule Driver

Watching the 2 hours before on the flight monitor (linked elsewhere in
thread) you can watch another 172 miss once and abandon another before
getting in. You also see two jet types apparently divert somewhere
else. You can also watch 2 jets hold waiting for the 172. That's all
before the accident.

The weather seems to be 1sm and 200' most of the afternoon but the wind
goes from 7 to 13G19 for awhile. Passing cell I guess.

Down to mins with a convective disturbance passing thru.

I was flying the DC area on the 22nd and 24th. Reflecting on my own
thinking and hoping that I would divert to a better alternate or return
to my start point. Easier said than done.

Old April 25th 05, 11:03 PM
Joe Johnson

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...
As someone else posted, you can watch it at:

http://www4.passur.com/hpn.html

The aircraft which I assume is it - N61AF - appears at about 15:14 on the
23rd. Watching is somewhat spooky.

Someone else flew the approach at 15:10, which may be useful for

comparison
purposes.

- Andrew

OK, now I'm really spooked. That's the plane in which I passed my private
checkride a year ago, almost to the day...