Finally got to fly my new bird

Old August 15th 03, 05:41 AM
Jay Honeck

Default Finally got to fly my new bird

Well, yesterday I paid for my third of my airplane

Congrats, Wayne.

Welcome to the world of the joyously impoverished!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 15th 03, 08:50 PM
Wayne

Checked it out today. The mount only has a latch, rather than an allen type
screw, and it only latches on the right side. It's hard to explain with
typing, but the mount seems to be twisted slightly. If you slide the unit
straight in, the right side seats in about a quarter of an inch before the
left side. When you push the left side in, it slides the rear of the mount
to the right, squaring it up as it goes. I can't see any way to anchor it to
the right as needed, if it had a slot for the latch on the left side, I
would move the latch to that side, even though it would be quite a pain to
unlatch then. I'll have to take some picures of it and see if anyone has an
idea.
Wayne

"Nathan Young" wrote in message
om...
"Wayne" wrote in message

Well, yesterday I paid for my third of my airplane, the 175B that I

Congrats!

Other than that, the DME is loose but works if you push it in and

the
com 1 seems a bit weak on transmit.

Most avionics are held in place via a single screw that can be
accessed using a long (5" or so) allen wrench from the front panel.
You may want to get or borrow one of these allen wrenches to verify
your DME is seated properly.

-Nathan

Old August 15th 03, 08:53 PM
Wayne

Okay, I read what I could find. Well written by the way. I guess I need to
do a voltage check to see how high it is going when it shuts off. I would
think the regulator would take care of that and it's brand new. Is the OVP
inside the alternator or where? Asking that just in case it is cutting out
too low. Thanks
Wayne

"mikem" wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 21:49:41 -0400, "Wayne"
wrote:

. . .
There was a problem with the chargins system too. It wouldn't charge,
I'd turn the master off, back on and it would charge like mad and then

cut
out again. I cut the flight short because of it, but on the ground after

cycled the master again, it charged fine. The regulator was just replaced

on
Monday. Any ideas of what would cause it?

Do a "Google Groups" search on "Over Voltage Protection" OVP in
rec.aviation.* Much has been written (including by me) about this
syndrome.

MikeM

Old August 15th 03, 08:55 PM
Wayne

I will be more joyful when we get some flying weather and I get on the
insurance! I'm already with you on the impoverish though.

Wayne

Old August 15th 03, 10:11 PM
mikem

Newer Cessnas have an OVP built into the same can as the VR. Older
ones didn't have an OVP. Since yours was field modified during the
engine conversion, the OVP could be a module separate from the VR, or
could be built into the VR. If adjustable, then the OVP should trip at
15.5 V. If it is tripping spuriously, then it might be time to replace
(or add) a filter capacitor across the wires where the OVP senses the
bus voltage.

MikeM

Old August 15th 03, 10:55 PM
Ray Andraka

Check the integrity of the alternator side of the master switch, the field
breaker and the field wiring. If anything has a high resistance, it can cause
this type of behavior. The master switch is a prime suspect.

wrote:

Okay, I read what I could find. Well written by the way. I guess I need to
do a voltage check to see how high it is going when it shuts off. I would
think the regulator would take care of that and it's brand new. Is the OVP
inside the alternator or where? Asking that just in case it is cutting out
too low. Thanks
Wayne

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old August 16th 03, 01:09 AM
Wayne

The master switch only closes the master solenoid though right? This plane
doesn't have a separate switch for alternator. It's a 61 and had a generator
originally I believe. The fact that is goes out at high RPM makes me think
it is either over voltage, or a loose connection moving from the engine
vibration. Don't know though.
Wayne

Old August 16th 03, 04:40 AM
Ray Andraka

Check your master switch from the back. Pipers have two poles on one actuator,
one is used to control the master relay, the other connects the alternator field
circuit to the buss. The side that handles the field circuit handles several
amperes, so the switches tend to get a bit cranky with age. It should show it
in the electrical schematic in your POH.

Old August 16th 03, 04:53 AM
Wayne

Will do, thanks.

Wayne wrote:

[...]

Bush finally admits it! noname Military Aviation 1 August 6th 04 11:31 AM
Finally, some real solo IFR practice! Guy Elden Jr. Instrument Flight Rules 0 April 15th 04 03:55 AM
FS - Bird 43 Wattmeter element for Aviation repair Lou Aviation Marketplace 0 March 15th 04 02:27 AM
T Bird - ZackGSD Home Built 1 December 15th 03 02:47 PM
Bird control David Naugler Aviation Marketplace 7 September 22nd 03 03:40 PM