Soaring Schools

Old December 6th 17, 05:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

Default Soaring Schools

Is there a general consensus on which schools are regarded as the "best" for glider training? I realize this is difficult to compare, as there are lots of good instructors all over the place, but if someone were interested in taking a block of time off and going somewhere to learn how to fly gliders and get there license to do so privately, where would you recommend?
Old December 6th 17, 01:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Christner

Burt Compton at Marfa Gliders. 40+ years of experience and one of the most iconic soaring sites in America. Purchase a copy of The Sunship Game movie to get acquainted.
Old December 6th 17, 01:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If you're in the east - Ridge Soaring in Pennsylvania. There's a bunkhouse at the gliderport and RVs can park there, as well. Top notch instruction and a great soaring location.
Old December 6th 17, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 12:39:37 AM UTC-5, John Foster wrote:
Is there a general consensus on which schools are regarded as the "best" for glider training? I realize this is difficult to compare, as there are lots of good instructors all over the place, but if someone were interested in taking a block of time off and going somewhere to learn how to fly gliders and get there license to do so privately, where would you recommend?

There are many that can and will do a good job. A very important consideration is where the operation is relative to where you live. A convenient location allows training to be done in depth. If you are looking for concentrated training and licensing you should understand that there will be much more to learn after you complete that first step. Try to find a site where you can fly at least twice a month in order to develop your knowledge and skills in depth.
This is a general answer as your situation and objectives are not clear.
Good luck
UH
Old December 6th 17, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 7:09:54 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the replies so far. For me, the closest area that offers glider training is a 3hr drive, two states away. There is one place in state, but it is a 4hr drive--go figure. For me, it would probably work best to schedule a block of time (1-2 weeks), dedicated to training, and get it all done in one shot. It would just not be practical to drive 3hrs one way every week for a 1-2 hr lesson. As such, how far the school is away from me is less of a concern, and I'm more interested in the quality of education than the proximity to me locally.
Old December 6th 17, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Unfortunately driving is a big a part of soaring.
Old December 6th 17, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tomcat222

On Tuesday, December 5, 2017 at 9:39:37 PM UTC-8, John Foster wrote:
Is there a general consensus on which schools are regarded as the "best" for glider training? I realize this is difficult to compare, as there are lots of good instructors all over the place, but if someone were interested in taking a block of time off and going somewhere to learn how to fly gliders and get there license to do so privately, where would you recommend?

Warner Springs in Southern California offers excellent training 7 days a week. Very experienced and professional instructors. Great weather makes it flyable nearly every day. My own experience there has been great.
Old December 6th 17, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Citrus Soaring

John,

You really can't go wrong with any of the commercial schools in this country. All have great staffs and are happy to show you the great sport of soaring.

It really comes down to where you would like to do your training.

If you want to come to the sunshine state we would be happy to work with you. We are now in our 50th year of operation and have two FAA DPE's on staff. www.floridaglidertraining.com

Wherever you decide to go for your training just know your going to have a blast and welcome to the sport!

Regards,

Franklin Burbank
Citrus Soaring
FAA DPE
Old December 7th 17, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
richard wilkening

I’ll put a plug in for Bermuda High Soaring. Plenty of instructors, Tow Pilots, training gliders as well as single seaters to rent.

Frank and Jane Reid run a good operation.
Old December 8th 17, 07:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Seccombe

I went down to Maricopa Arizona, http://www.azsoaring.com, the third week of October.

I had the required number of flights for the commercial add on so it was a matter of getting the required ground instruction and flights in preparation for the test.

As an instructor, Bruce was great; and for all of the administrative details Doyle was indispensable. I was able to get all of the flying I wanted to get comfortable in the 2-33 as I was used to an L-13 and PW-6. We started Monday morning and I took the check Thursday. Friday was open, as my airline ticket home was for Saturday, so I used the time to knock out the Bronze Badge test and in the afternoon had Jason show me how to loop and wing over the Grob. It was great.

I stayed right on the gliderpatch in the bunk house, very convenient and reasonable; with a well appointed kitchen, easy to diy; but Maricopa is only a few minutes away so I just jammed into town for breakfast at the Sunrise Cafe and dinner at Plaza Bonita.

A great experience, I highly recommend it.

141 Schools RC_Moonpie Piloting 30 May 13th 08 02:41 PM
UK Gliding schools Trevor Bailey Soaring 9 January 3rd 06 11:05 PM
Any Experiences with these schools? gregg Aerobatics 5 December 31st 05 04:06 PM
Deciding between two schools. John Rotorcraft 0 August 16th 04 04:55 AM
Schools timeh Piloting 2 April 27th 04 11:35 PM