Gasohol

Old May 31st 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Ken Finney

Default Gasohol

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message
Ken Finney wrote:
"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message
Ken Finney wrote:

IF I ever get a plane, all these silly fuel issues would be a real
irritant. I haven't been paying much attention to the new diesel
aircraft engines becoming available. Since I should be making my
own biodiesel by the end of this Summer (for something less than 45
cents a gallon), are any of the new diesels in the O-200/Rotax 912
class?

You'll never get an STC to put it in a certified aircraft. Better
start thinking experimental.

I already am, but there an STC for diesels in 172s.

Diesels and diesels running Freedom Fry grease are going to require two
very different STCs. Robert posted a link to a outfit with a Biodiesel STC
but I couldn't get the link to work.

As much of the diesel fuel sold today as some biodiesel mixed with it, I'd
hope that the engines being sold are certified for petrodiesel, biodiesel,
and any combination thereof. "Freedom Fry grease" (aka WVO = waste
vegetable oil or SVO = straight vegetable oil) is a different animal than
biodiesel.

Old May 31st 07, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Ken Finney

"Al G" wrote in message

"Ken Finney" wrote in message

"Al G" wrote in message

"Ken Finney" wrote in message

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote in message
On Thu, 31 May 2007 05:11:27 GMT, tony roberts
wrote:

Is it true that there is no longer any requirement to label gasoline
contaminated with alcohol?

Worse.
I read that, starting in 2007, in some places, California and some
Canadian Provinces included, it is regulated that all gasoline sold
must
contain at least 5% alcohol/ethanol.

Tony
Here in Ontario I was told not all gasoline must have 5% alky, but 5%
of all fuel sold must be alky - so 50% of all fuel sold being E10
satisfies the requirement. In practice, virtually all 87 octane will
be e10. Premium 91 will (from some companies, at least) be E0, making
the blended 89 E5. Since significantly over half the gasoline sold in
Ontario is 87 octane, this would excede the requirements. - Just from
what I've been told, but you can never trust the elected idiots, or
worse yet the beurocrats

IF I ever get a plane, all these silly fuel issues would be a real
irritant. I haven't been paying much attention to the new diesel
aircraft engines becoming available. Since I should be making my own
biodiesel by the end of this Summer (for something less than 45 cents a
gallon), are any of the new diesels in the O-200/Rotax 912 class?

What do you grow to make biodiesel?

Relatives that own restuarants and have to pay to dispose of waste fryer
oil!

You grow relatives?

Well, somebody planted the seed and they tend to grow on their own. I just
fertilize them now and then!

Old June 1st 07, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"B A R R Y" wrote in message t...
mike regish wrote:
I'm pretty sure Mass. is already there. I don't know if there's a minimum, but we've got 10% ethanol everywhere now.

Same in CT.

I think most, if not all, of the Northeastern states sell the same blend, no longer labeling the pumps for the 10%
alchohol content.

And that means that all of us using gasohol are getting worse gas mileage than we would get with straight gasoline. If
the fuel is 10% ethanol that is 10% less gasoline being pumped while the price has gone up double in the last two years.
Energy bill of 2005, eh?????

Old June 1st 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote in message ...
On Thu, 31 May 2007 12:08:45 GMT, "Dick" wrote:

How is the add water to gas test made ? Thanks

See Page 4 of

http://www.eaa26.org/apr06.pdf

Ron Wanttaja

Yup, works real well. A test tube with a 10% level line on it. Fill with water to the 10% line, fill remainder with fuel
under test. Shake it up, and if the separation line is higher up the tube that the original water separation line, the
water absorbed the alcohol adding to its volume. Works right now basically no waiting...

I have not tried Jays Alka Seltzer method....

Old June 1st 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
BT

The mower shops are booked up 3 months out cleaning the gook out of carbs.

-Robert

Must be why mine was running rough last weekend, it operates maybe twice a
month for about 15 minutes or less and it has not been serviced in 10 years.

Old June 1st 07, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Blueskies" wrote:

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote in message
On Thu, 31 May 2007 12:08:45 GMT, "Dick" wrote:

How is the add water to gas test made ? Thanks

See Page 4 of

http://www.eaa26.org/apr06.pdf

Ron Wanttaja

Yup, works real well. A test tube with a 10% level line on it. Fill with
water to the 10% line, fill remainder with fuel
under test. Shake it up, and if the separation line is higher up the tube
that the original water separation line, the
water absorbed the alcohol adding to its volume. Works right now basically no
waiting...

I have not tried Jays Alka Seltzer method....

I tried the Alka Seltzer trick on some denatured alcohol -- no result.
It did not fizz!
Old June 1st 07, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
BT

And that means that all of us using gasohol are getting worse gas mileage
than we would get with straight gasoline. If the fuel is 10% ethanol that
is 10% less gasoline being pumped while the price has gone up double in
the last two years. Energy bill of 2005, eh?????

The oil companies recently blamed the Bush Administration's emphasis on
converting to bio fuels as the cause for the price increase in gasoline.
Their statement: If they (bush) would support gasoline, then the oil
companies would spend money on additional refineries to meet the demand and
price could stay low. But with the emphasis on conversion to bio fuels and
alternative energy, the oil companies have no incentives to
rebuild/repair/build new refineries to meet the increasing consumption
demand.

So they say as they pocket record profits.

BT

Old June 1st 07, 04:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I tried the Alka Seltzer trick on some denatured alcohol -- no result.
It did not fizz!- Hide quoted text -

You talking about "rubbing alcohol"? We tested it with that, and it
worked for us.

Fizzing, that is...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 1st 07, 11:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

"orange" wrote in message
All of New England has 10% gasohol at the auto pump...
However, it isn't blended in until it gets to this regon... so many aero
clubs can still get batches of straight gas
Greg Dwinell

I just saw this on the EAA site:

ETHANOL-FREE AUTOFUEL TO BE AVAILABLE AT THREE NEW ENGLAND
AIRPORTS STARTING IN JUNE

http://www.eaa.org/communications/ea..._autofuel.html

Gasohol Blueskies Piloting 240 July 6th 07 12:42 AM
How scary is gasohol? Charles Talleyrand Owning 27 March 1st 04 11:39 AM